• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My First Competitive OU Team

KingdomBlade

Sora! I choose you!
Years
This is my second team after discovering my first has a gaping weakness to.. well everything. So I decided to make it revolve around Scizor. I think my team has pretty great synergy.

Well, I tried making a new team, and I think I made it improve a lot.

EDIT: I changed it again!
Mamoswine
Dragonite
Starmie
Magnezone
Flygon
Scizor

Lead
200px-473Mamoswine.png

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Moves: Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Ice Shard
Endeavor

In my opinion, Mamoswine makes still an excellent lead even for my new team. The high attack power is nice for killing off several common leads, most especially bulky dragon types like Salamence. Endeavor is also a handy move to have, just in case Focus Sash activates and I get nearly OHKO'ed. Stealth Rock can also become useful when sweeping with Scizor. If Mamoswine still survives, there is a possibility that I can use him in late game to attack.

Rapid Spinner/Bulky Water Killer
170px-121Starmie.png

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Timid
EVs: 88 HP / 20 Def / 188 Spe / 188 Spc / 20 Spd
Moves: Surf
Thunderbolt
Rapid Spin
Recover

As my team's primary weakness is Fire, Starmie was a Pokemon I decided to get. I realized that I needed to kill off Pokemon that can be a threat to Scizor. Starmie makes an good killer of Fire Types and has a bonus of killing off Bulky Waters with the use of Thunderbolt. Rapid Spin is also a very effective move on this set because Entry Hazards will be important because if may cause problems when trying to set up Scizor for a sweep. Surf is a reliable STAB move for killing off Fire Types, as I was very unhappy with the inaccuracy of Hydro Pump.

Steel Killer/Special Attacker
170px-462Magnezone.png

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Timid
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Moves: Substitute
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Fire
Explosion

Scizor is becoming more and more popular in teams and has become an effective threat, so, I decided that I needed a steel killer. Magnezone is always the prime choice for a steel killer. Many people also use Metagross and Bronzong, so it can also kill it effectively. Thunderbolt is for great STAB, HP Fire for more effective steel type killing, Explosion for suicide, and Substitute to make it survivable against several threats. It can also double as a special attacker.

Revenge Killer/Scout
330Flygon.png

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Moves: Outrage
Earthquake
Stone Edge
U-Turn

Choice Scarf and plenty of resistances make Flygon an effective Revenge Killer. With decent 100 base Atk, he can 2HKO some of the most commonly seen Pokemon. He basically arrives if my attackers or sweepers die. He can also make an effective scout. U-Turn is a good move as it allows me to scout any threats ahead of time and quickly switch out, especially with Choice Scarf.

Physical Sweeper
190px-149Dragonite.png

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 Spe
Moves: Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Roost

New replacement to Ninjask. He is a very good sweeper, and is a monster with the help of Dragon Dance. Since Salamence was banished to Uber, Dragonite has been one of the best DD users in the OU tier. He works in conjuction with Scizor, as they resist each others weaknesses. Roost is an important recovery move. Dragon Claw is a primary stab, as I was unhappy with Outrage's effects. Earthquake is for an alternative to Dragon Claw and primarily for Steel types.

Physical Sweeper
180px-212Scizor.png

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Moves: Roost
Bullet Punch
Brick Break
Swords Dance

The core of my team. After a few Swords Dances, it will be a killing machine. The Bullet Punch is the most important move on this set, as with a few Swords Dances, Scizor can kill threats as well as it being a priority. For those pesky walls that Bullet Punch cannot OHKO, Brick Break will can rip through them. Roost is gives an option to recover some HP.

Any opinions, suggestions, or comments? Just post it here.

Last edited:

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Years
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Some of this team is pretty good, other parts need some work.

Right now you have a 3x weakness to Fire and only one resist. Not good at all.

Let's see who you can replace.

Porygon-Z is one of those Pokemon that looks good on paper, but doesn't perform as well in battles due to certain factors. One of those factors is the fact that Normal moves are terrible. No matter how powerful they can get, Normal just isn't supereffective against anything and is resisted by 3 types which are quite common on OU teams.

Another factor is that Normal as a type has no useful resistances or immunities besides Ghost.

As a sweeper and revenge killer, P-Z is outclassed by many other Choice Scarfed Pokemon including Flygon.

Flygon is especially useful because of its resistances to Fire, Electric, Ground, and Rock attacks, something that Porygon-Z couldn't even dream of having. It also has base 100 speed, meaning it can revenge things that Porygon can't . Not to mention that U-Turn is an awesome scouting move. Scizor and Flygon can basically work as a U-Turning pair since they resist each other's weaknesses.

Flygon @Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Fire Punch
-U-Turn

Next, I notice that you have no Scizor counter. You have a lot of fast Pokemon that also happen to be frail and take a lot of damage from Bullet Punch/U-Turn. You need to find a good Scizor counter somewhere.

Gyarados, Zapdos, Magnezone, and Heatran all make Scizor cry. You already have a Water type and Zapdos is weak to Ice which you are already weak to. Magnezone and Heatran are your best choices. You can replace either Honchkrow or Sceptile for one of them.

If you do choose to keep Honchkrow, PLEASE change its ability to Insomnia. Immunity to sleep is one of the best reasons to use Honchkrow.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Back