• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Although I find PMD enjoyable, I still find the main series (except for the fourth generation, i never got around to finishing that!) much enjoyable than it.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 1, 2016
I like PMD also but main series are always best, especially 4th gen. games. I have also Colosseum and that's pretty cool game.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
To be honest, I like the spin-off games (Mystery Dungeon and Ranger). They give me something to do while I don't feel like playing the main games or while I'm waiting for the next main game to come out.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I've never tried a spin-off game, are they any good? I know you guys have said some nice stuff about them, but I just can't imagine them being anywhere near as fun as the main series.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Except for Colo/XD (which are the closest spin-offs to the main series as far as gameplay is concerned), they're not as fun as the main games. At least that's from my experience and my (heavily biased) opinion.

Years
I've never tried a spin-off game, are they any good? I know you guys have said some nice stuff about them, but I just can't imagine them being anywhere near as fun as the main series.
Well it wouldn't hurt to try playing one of them. I seriously don't understand how people can hate Mystery Dungeon. It is awesome!

Sometimes I don't see how the main games are as fun as people worship them to me. IMHO, they're getting boring because each region is practically the same thing(And don't people find grinding tedious ttm? :<). It's the new and different Pokemon that keeps me going to play. But games like PMD and Ranger, they're evergreen. And the post-game events for PMD aren't as boring as "completing the National Dex". -__-

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Ehh, the spin-offs doesn't give the same experience as the main series does. I always find myself stuck at one point because I just can't bring myself into playing it unlike the main series. The get starter/beat gyms/beat evil team/beat e4 flow of the games doesn't get old for me!

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years

A lot of them can get really addictive. But most of them get boring when you have finished everything. Though I do still play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon sometimes.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 1, 2016

Main series games are always better than spin-off games but spin-off games are great too. Especially in Mystery Dungeon you have lot of things to do. So I suggest you to buy one spin-off game and then you know if they are worth of the money. If you have GameCube or Wii, then I suggest you to buy Colosseum or XD Gale of Darkness. In Colosseum and XD you must capture the Shadow Pokémon and purify them to their normal condition. I have Colosseum and I like it very much. But I think that Mystery Dungeon is best first spin-off game.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
Spinoffs for me are more enjoyable than the main games in general. Mystery Dungeon is my most favorite series by far, even more than the main games.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Colosseum or XD Gale of Darkness are my favorite spinoffs. However, I do prefer main series games. Can't go wrong with redundancy!

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Actually I don't really like MD. I used to but it's just so repetitive and just becomes boring and kind of childish imo at the end. It's a nice game all in all but just repetitive. I only feel like it at certain times haha. Also I loved Gale of Darkness.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Main series games are always better than spin-off games but spin-off games are great too. Especially in Mystery Dungeon you have lot of things to do. So I suggest you to buy one spin-off game and then you know if they are worth of the money. If you have GameCube or Wii, then I suggest you to buy Colosseum or XD Gale of Darkness. In Colosseum and XD you must capture the Shadow Pokémon and purify them to their normal condition. I have Colosseum and I like it very much. But I think that Mystery Dungeon is best first spin-off game.

Ah yes, Colosseum is actually the one spin-off game I've played (if you don't count Pokemon Snap). I did enjoy it for what it was and there was definitely a novelty to it originally but in the end I got bored of it and never finished it... it was entertaining for a while though!

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
I loved Pokémon Snap, such a fun game, though a little short for my taste. I'd love a remake on the 3DS, or home console. I know it's been brought up before, but I'd still love it, they could stick in gen 2-5 Pokémon more stages etc...

I never actually played Colosseum or XD, which is a shame considering they both look like great games.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I've played through Colo and XD multiple times :) Miror B. is awesome and in XD it was actually very easy for me to find a group of six Pokemon for my team.

My brother had Snap back in the day. I never played it but it looked better IMO than many of the spinoffs that followed.

As for PMD, played a 5 minute demo at GameStop, decided that it most definitely wasn't for me, and never touched the series since.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I never really finished XD because I didn't feel like purifying that Lugia at the end haha, and I don't think I played Collosseum either, or at least not a lot. I did love XD though.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I can't take XD seriously because it's named XD.

Magdalena~

Feel the hnnnnggg
Years
I can't take XD seriously because it's named XD.
xD

I love XD. It's my favourite sidegame! I never finished it though. I still have it around here somewhere. It's hard for me to stay in it since it's a console game, but I think it's really great.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Likewise I can't take PMD seriously because the box art suggests a game for 3-year olds (which it obviously isn't, but the cover of the box makes it look like one).

But XD is awesome. We need a spinoff of Colo/XD where you get to step into the role of Miror B. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back