• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How and when did you get into ROM hacking?

Years
How did you first find out about this hobby we call ROM hacking, and when was that? Did you learn about it by chance? Did a friend tell you? Or maybe you discovered it here on PokéCommunity? Have you been hacking for a long time now, or did you only recently start? Tell us your stories!

My story:
Spoiler:

Years
The truth is I had no idea what a ROM hack is 3 years ago.
I started playing and I figured that it was more interested than the original GBA Pokemon games.
I remember I was searching for ROM Hacks on youtube and I saw a result about an Advance Map tutorial.
And then I found PokeCommunity.
So many tutorials and tools here. It was and still is a good place for beginners!
That's it!

Years
I'm pretty new to rom hacking, but not game editing in general. In my teens I used to play video games a lot, and often altered them to my taste. While I was in college I took a few programming courses (liberty basic, visual basic, ALICE, and a little C++) and started creating my own applications. I started researching rom hacking a few weeks ago after playing a demo of Pokemon Creepy Black that was never completed, which I would like to turn into a completed game inspired by the urban legend.

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
Ages ago I was playing the original game and after searching for a new Pokemon game to play I stumbled across a Spanish rom hacking site where I downloaded my first game. The first thing I remember was the amazing tiles in the game; that really got me intrigued. I then did more searching and came across this amazing site, I set up my profile and became apart of the community.

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
I'd known about Rom hacking for a while and had played Liquid Crystal and and a couple others. Gen 3 has always been my favorite, so that attracted me to GBA hacks. About April or May of last year, I decided to give it a shot. At first I didn't know what I was doing, but over time I've become better and better.

BluRose

blu rass
Years
encounter:
Spoiler:

zoom forward two to three years, and i was going through a phase during which i think it would be pretty rad to create my own pokemon game. so i basically did a small little 386 hack for emerald with advancemap (except it sucked, and horribly too), including all of the favorites: grass in towns, a remake of granite cave that was literally made out of black tiles with random movement permissions (so that you couldn't see anything and always sporadically ran into walls), legendaries in the 1% encounter rate, level 9000 elite four, you name it. it was pretty bad.

and now i'm here

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Jul 19, 2021
So it started for me when I was new to emulation for Pokemon games. I played a Fire Red ROM sometime later. Then I stumbled across Pokemon Volt White 2.I'm 90% sure that this was my first rom hack. I guess it all snowballed from there. I'm playing Polished Crystal, Expert Emerald, Naturia, Theta Emerald, Rijon Adventures, Brown, Sun Gold,Sweet (for my youtube channel),Glazed and like 5 other hacks currently.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Well sometime back in late 2009 I was struck by the desire to make my own Pokemon game... So I searched for it and stumbled across Pokemon Brown. I was completely blown away by the fact that I could potentially make something of my own like that.

So after a bit of searching I stumbled across sites like WaH and of course PC and I set out on my own. A few months later I joined here and have stuck with hacking since. :)

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I had someone stumbled across ROMs like ShinyGold and Quartz and played them, then I joined PC because I wanted to learn how to patch so I could play more games. Pokémon Genesis by Thrace was what I was desperate for.

Years
In early 2013 I had been looking around the Nuzlocke forum and found people playing hacked games. I was pretty intrigued, so I decided to give it a shot. I downloaded a pack of hacking tools and set to work on Ruby of all things. I quickly learned of this place and then learned as much as I could.
More than 3 years later, voila.

Back