• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Blue And Silver; Which Rival is the best?

Which Rival Is Better?

• Total voters
Years
Blue's better because he actually acts like a rival whereas Silver is kind of up to his own agenda and doesn't really care about you as much. Also you crush Blue's dreams every time you meet him so he deserves to win something.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I think Blue was the better rival in every aspect. He would tease you all the time, say he was sooo much better than you and just in general would make you want to beat him as often as possible. But at the same time, he is a very talented Pokemon trainer, he loves his Pokemon and treats them well, and even managed to become Champion of the Pokemon League himself, technically even before you did.

Silver was so full of himself, he stole his starter, which makes him a thief and a bad pokemon trainer. He treats his pokemon like weapons, not friends, and gets mad at them when they lose against you. Plus he never made it to the Pokemon League...

I think now it's pretty obvious who the better rival is

Aethestode

Hacker
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
Silver for me. This is because he's more evil evil and have backstory (HG/SS). Blue is just obnoxious.

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2014
Blue or Silver, in my opinion Silver's the better rival, although this is mainly based on the pokemon he has (Sneasel, Gengar, Alakazam and Magneton) I love Dark, Ghost, Psychic and Steel types so yeah Silver wins on quick pick but comparing is different I think that Blue would win just because he has a team that could destroy Silvers, just listing what pokemon he would use.

Sneasel - Charizard, Flareon or Arcanine (based on game and choice)
Gengar - Alakazam
Magneton - same as Sneasel and Rhydon
Starter - Opposite starter, Gyarados, Arcanine or Exeggutor
Crobat - Rhydon

That's all I can think but, obviously there are advantages Silver can take but I think Blue has more.

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
I did in fact liked Blue as a Rival, but Silver is just more appealing as a Character and Rival.
He had Character Development unlike Blue, where he just turns out to be jerk obsessed with being the Kanto Champion and being the world's strongest trainer. Silver had a journey of finding out what he lacked and found it, again unlike Blue.

So all in all, I picked Silver.

Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2023
Silver is amazing.Blue is a loudmouthed idiot who wants to smell you later.Silver has the more rivaly and hateful personality.Silver looks awesome.Blue is a useless jerk.Im voting for silver!!!!(duh)

tnfsf11

He's a criminal who stole a starter & you tell his name to the police so they arrest him, while Gary is a noob who legally owns a starter that he doesn't deserve & you can do nothing to him.
Silver is less of a douchebag than Gary; When defeated he doubts himself & his way of treatment for his Pokemon & goes back to train more, that's why he's always behind, not like Gary who keeps blaming his Pokemon for his losses then claims that he's better & moves on ahead of you.
Silver never became a champion because he still mistreats his Pokemon, while Gary becomes champion & stays in the Plateau for eternity even after you beat him, which doesn't make sense.

So I guess Silver is reasonably a better rival, he gives a moral that if you're a bad person you'll never succeed in life...

Years
they were both good rivals but silver has the edge cuz he was more of a douche and that made you want to put a beatdown on him.

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2014
Silver for me. His personality is badass and he is more or less always calm and collected, but Blue is like that too. That being said, I think both rivals have equally good Pokemon, though Blue went on to become the Champion but Silver didn't, but overall it's still Silver for me.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Silver was kind of cool, and had a better backstory than Blue, but Blue is just stronger. Silver was a weakling, easy to beat, while Blue raised his PKMNs quickly :o and he beat the Kanto/Johto champion (Lance) which is very much better than what Silver did in his PKMN Trainer career. Also Silver sucks. He thinks hes the best, Blue was like that too, but Silver was more like that and somethign that I don't like about Silver is that he keeps insulting his PKMNs for being weak while he is weak :P

EDIT: OK you guys must be saying "WTF SILVER HAS A BETTER TEAM THAN BLUE" but not in my opinion. Deal with it.

Last edited:

JawDane

Here for the Nostalgia
Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2013
Silver, he was so blatantly evil, I'd say he played the rival role much better. Rivals in other games just seem overly arrogant and jealous.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
Blue, for the reason that he was basically the last person you fought in RBY. Silver was more annoying than him I guess.

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2013
IMO, Silver was a better rival.

Blue was an overall normal person who just a bit vain, arrogant and sometimes rude.
Silver had those negative traits to the extent of being a sociopath.

Silver's transformation from a criminal to a somewhat decent person, as well as the backstory between him and Giovanni, make him an overall deeper character.

Back