• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My first team, help?

Apri

Derp
Years
I don't know a whole lot about competitive battling outside of the basic EV/IV/natures/etc. I tried making up my first team, and I could really use some help. :( I have a feeling there are obvious weaknesses that i'm not seeing.

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Modest
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Air Slash
Aura Sphere
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Trick

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Timid
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
???
Hydro Pump/Scald
Rapid Spin
Thunderbolt

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Nature: Calm
EVs: 228 HP / 232 Def / 48 SpD
Stockpile
Earth Power
Recover
Ice Beam

Reuniclus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Psyshock
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball
Trick

Eelektross @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
Brick Break
???

Scrafty @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Crunch
Dragon Dance
Drain Punch
Ice Punch

Lead with togekiss, rapid spin with starmie, revenge kill with scrafty? I dunno. I think I could use a stall/annoyer though. Suggestions anyone?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Ferrothorn may be a good replacement for Starmie:
-Stealth Rock/Spikes/Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave
-Power Whip
Nature: Relaxed/Sassy
EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef
Item: Leftovers

For now, I think Latios would make a better Trick-Scarfer than Togekiss:
-Trick
-Draco Meteor
-Surf
-Hidden Power (Fire)
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf

Last edited:

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
Since Reuniclus won't ever try to outspeed anything, and you probably would have other Trick users, I recommend

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Psyshock / Psychic (both can be an option, former if you don't feel like Chansey/Blissey walling you ).
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball
Trick Room

Eelektross @ Lum Berry
Ability: [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]Levitate[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower / Hidden Power Ice (HP Ice has will hit Grass, Flying and Ground for super effective damage where as Flamethrower will hit Bug, Steel, and Grass).
Brick Break
U-Turn / Volt Switch (You can opt for Volt Switch since no one in the right mind will try to counter Eelektross with a Ground-type Pokemon unless, of course, Gravity is applied).

I agree with PlatinumDude to replace Starmie, you don't have anything weak to entry hazards anyway.

And isn't Gastrodon annoying enough? ._.

Apri

Derp
Years
Since Reuniclus won't ever try to outspeed anything, and you probably would have other Trick users, I recommend

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Psyshock / Psychic (both can be an option, former if you don't feel like Chansey/Blissey walling you ).
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball
Trick Room

Eelektross @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower / Hidden Power Ice (HP Ice has will hit Grass, Flying and Ground for super effective damage where as Flamethrower will hit Bug, Steel, and Grass).
Brick Break
U-Turn / Volt Switch (You can opt for Volt Switch since no one in the right mind will try to counter Eelektross with a Ground-type Pokemon unless, of course, Gravity is applied).

I agree with PlatinumDude to replace Starmie, you don't have anything weak to entry hazards anyway.

And isn't Gastrodon annoying enough? ._.

Gastrodon is my all-time favorite, mwahahaha.

And thanks for the help!

Ferrothorn may be a good replacement for Starmie:
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave
-Power Whip
Nature: Relaxed/Sassy
EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef.

For now, I think Latios would make a better Trick-Scarfer than Togekiss:
-Trick
-Draco Meteor
-Surf
-Hidden Power (Fire)
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf

I was also thinking of replacing starmie with a hitmontop with fake out, mach punch, bullet punch, and rapid spin?

Also, I want to set up something that I can switch in with gastrodon's storm drain. Is there any way to put a rock/fire/etc pokemon in?

Last edited:
Years
When looking at your team I noticed you didn't specify weather you wanted it to be a Singles, Doubles or Triples team. This can have an effect on my answer (in fact it always will). However, another thing I noticed is that 2/3 (Scrafty, Reuniclus, Gastrodon, Elektross) of your team wants to be Trick Room, whereas 1/3 (Togekiss, Starmine) would rather it would not be Trick Room. There's a lot that can be done with Trick Room as it reverses the turn order, thus making Slower Pokémon seem faster.

Also, the reason I ask what type of battles this team is intend for is because there's a lot that can be done with Reuniclus's Magic Guard ability for example. Let's say you want to keep Togekiss. You Skill Swap that to give it Magic Guard ability and Reuiniclus Serene Grace. In which Case you would give Togekiss Double Edge and perhaps give it a Liife Orb to hold (Magic Guard prevents recoil in both cases) and Reuiniclus Thunder, with a Zoom Lense to raise accuracy, and Serene Grace will double the chance of Paralysis from Thunder to 60%, which because of the Zoom Lense will be 20% more likely to hit (assuming it is hit itself during the turn but it's one of the Slowest Pokémon so it probably will be).
I once tried a Psychical Reuniclus on one of my Trick Room teams. What I did was is I had a Conkeldurr with Guts and after setting up Trick Room I Skill Swapped it so Reuniclus got the Gut boost from its Toxic Orb (If I didn't managed to SKill Swap it wouldn't have received damage from Poison thanks to Magic Guard but would still get the Facade boost) and Conkeldurr could attack without Life Orb Recoil and its move would still have their additional effects, unlike if I had given it the ability Sheer Force (since it was Trick Room there was a chance its Rock Slide would flinch and it has Smellingsalt too can work with Elektross on the team too). On this team I have Audino with Double Edge which can also work with Reuniclus's Magic Guard, but is mainly for support.

I don't want to go too in-depth just to be told it's a Singles team, though I hope I've given you some food for thought anyway. Either way, good luck with your team!

Last edited:

Apri

Derp
Years
When looking at your team I noticed you didn't specify weather you wanted it to be a Singles, Doubles or Triples team. This can have an effect on my answer (in fact it always will). However, another thing I noticed is that 2/3 (Scrafty, Reuniclus, Gastrodon, Elektross) of your team wants to be Trick Room, whereas 1/3 (Togekiss, Starmine) would rather it would not be Trick Room. There's a lot that can be done with Trick Room as it reverses the turn order, thus making Slower Pokémon seem faster.

Also, the reason I ask what type of battles this team is intend for is because there's a lot that can be done with Reuniclus's Magic Guard ability for example. Let's say you want to keep Togekiss. You Skill Swap that to give it Magic Guard ability and Reuiniclus Serene Grace. In which Case you would give Togekiss Double Edge and perhaps give it a Liife Orb to hold (Magic Guard prevents recoil in both cases) and Reuiniclus Thunder, with a Zoom Lense to raise accuracy, and Serene Grace will double the chance of Paralysis from Thunder to 60%, which because of the Zoom Lense will be 20% more likely to hit (assuming it is hit itself during the turn but it's one of the Slowest Pokémon so it probably will be).
I once tried a Psychical Reuniclus on one of my Trick Room teams. What I did was is I had a Conkeldurr with Guts and after setting up Trick Room I Skill Swapped it so Reuniclus got the Gut boost from its Toxic Orb (If I didn't managed to SKill Swap it wouldn't have received damage from Poison thanks to Magic Guard but would still get the Facade boost) and Conkeldurr could attack without Life Orb Recoil and its move would still have their additional effects, unlike if I had given it the ability Sheer Force (since it was Trick Room there was a chance its Rock Slide would flinch and it has Smellingsalt too can work with Elektross on the team too). On this team I have Audino with Double Edge which can also work with Reuniclus's Magic Guard, but is mainly for support.

I don't want to go too in-depth just to be told it's a Singles team, though I hope I've given you some food for thought anyway. Either way, good luck with your team!

I've always been tentative towards trick room, as it doesn't last long and seems like it would be a hassle to set up. But thank you for your input, you gave me a lot to think about that I haven't even considered before.

Back