• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My 4th gen OU team. Please rate!

Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2011
Could some people with some experience in competitive battling give me some advice on my 4th gen OU team? Here it is:

Azelf@Levitate /w/Focus Sash
Nature: Timid
EV's: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Spd

- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Psychic/Signal Beam
- Thunderbolt/Stealth Rocks
- Grass Knot/Explosion

This is basically my anti lead. It totally gets walled by stuff like blissey (unless running Explosion) and heatran, but it can catch most leads off guard. Usually I can KO the lead, and then my opponent may send out a scizor, or gyarados expecting the rest of my set to be taunt, SR, and explosion. I can then KO that, then switch to a wall to keep my sash unless rocks are set up. This basically gives me an advantage from the start. Fire Blast is for after revealing psychic when things like foretress think they can come in safely and set up entry hazards. Flamethrower can be used for reliability. Psychic is basically a STAB move that hits most stuff hard. Signal Beam can be used over it if you don't want to get walled by a dark type. Thunderbolt is purely so gyarados doesn't come in and set up all over your face, although stealth rocks can also be used if you prefer entry hazards. Grass knot is also purely for swamperts, although it can be replaced by Explosion if you want to get rid of blissey early, although breloom takes care of this for the most part. I don't run taunt because most of this team resists spikes and toxic spikes.

Breloom@Poison Heal /w/ Toxic Orb
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 252 Atk, 244 Spe, 12 Hp

-Spore
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Seed Bomb/Stone Edge

The standard smogon breloom. I hate to use him, he's such a troll, but he's still so good, and there's not much that can replace him. This is basically what I switch in on walls put something to sleep, then get off a sub, and hit something hard. He always manages to get something done. I won't go into the moveset because you know how it works. A good baton pass receiver from gliscor if he hasn't put something to sleep already.

Heatran@Flash Fire /w/Expert Belt
Nature: Modest
EV's: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp

- Hidden Power Grass/ Electric
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power

One of my best options to receive a baton pass from gliscor. I love bluffing the choice scarf and then nailing the swampert or gyarados that comes in. And with plus two speed, this guy can SWEEP. The set is standard smogon, so I won't go into it. Although this makes two pokes that can be special walled. breloom has great synergy with azelf and him, and can then kill the wall, or at least get some damage. He also lets me take fire attacks aimed at breloom. Now that I have labeled the basic sweepers, it's time to get into support.

Gliscor@Hyper Cutter /w/Lum Berry
Nature: Timid
EV's: 252 Hp, 196 Spd, 60 Spe

- Rock Polish
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Roost/Taunt
My version of smogon's Baton Pass gliscor. Rock Polish is standard, but Swords Dance isn't necessary since my only physical attacker is breloom, and azelf and heatran (and sometimes even cress) are all specially based. I run substitute to see what kind of attack my opponent wants to use, as well as saving my lum berry. I don't run yache because after seeing the ice attack, I can BP out to heatran to resist. I run roost just in case my BP receiver is forced out, and I want to BP again, although taunt is also very viable as this allows me to not get screwed by opposing taunts.

Vaporeon@Water Absorb /w/ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EV's: 248 Hp, 224 Def, 26 Spd

- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Hidden Power Electric
- Surf

My water absorber for gliscor and heatran, as well as a great switch in on heatran that comes in on azelf, as well as being my only poke weak to toxic spikes and second to spikes (this is why there's no rapid spinning). It's almost standard, with a few tweaks. HP electric is my only way to handle gyarados, unless I want to bluff Charge Beam with cress. Surf is STAB. Wish is also standard. Heal bell is over protect because lots of my stuff gets screwed by T wave and Will O Wisp. I'm thinking of using swampert over this for physical coverage, but then I lose heal bell and a check to gyarados, aside from azelf.

Cresselia@Levitate /w/ leftovers
Nature: Bold
EV's: 252 Hp, 252 Def, 4 Spa

- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Moonlight

With base 120 defense and 130 sp defense, cress is this team's main tank. I run a mix between a tank/calm mind set, which works very effectively. I usually use vaporeon as my tank for the beginning to scout, and once I know there team, I can send in cress and start setting up if it is appropriate. This means there are two psychic types on this team unfortunately, which means I need coverage for ghosts (only a little, as psychic hits ghosts as well), bug (I mainly use heatran on stuff like scizor that switch in), and dark, usually covered by breloom, unless a fire punch tyranitar comes in.

FAQ

Q: No priority?
A: Priority is not a necessity, and I can usually do well without it.

Q: Why not suicune over vaporeon if you want a bulky water?
A: For the same reason that I don't run swampert. I want an effective heal beller.

Q: Only one physical attacker?
A: Breloom actually, if brought in correctly serves as an amazing physical attacker. I can bring it in on most special tanks, as well as some physical ones, for example blissey, swampert, or umbreon all give me opportunities to get a sub up.

Q: No entry hazards?
A: I typically don't need them, but I can run them on azelf if I have to.

(I'll add more to this if more questions are asked)

Checks to be dealt with:

Tyranitar: Without fire punch, send in breloom. With fire punch, send in heatran. With fire punch and a
dragon dance used… ouch

Zapdos: This guy is usually a pain to take out, as toxic cripples cress, and heat wave takes down loom. I usually send in gliscor to get a sub on the predicted toxic, then rock polish on the switch, and then BP.

Suicune: Usually not a problem, I just send in loom. However, if suicune is faster than loom (which happened when I battled this one guy with a ridiculous EV spread) I get swept. Good thing almost nobody runs that kind of spread.

Dusknoir: This guy is a problem simply because of his large defenses and will o wisp. I can usually handle him, he's just the kind of poke that always makes me groan.
Rotom w and h: Ditto above.

Please give me your feedback!!!

Back