• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
I recently arrived in Snowpoint City and tried to challenge the local gym. The trainer battles so far have been reasonably hard, even for a mixed team in the low 40s; but the gym itself (I'm playing Pearl BTW) is driving me up the proverbial wall. Even the hints on the GameFAQs site confuse me ("But I can't step up/go right/do whatever from here!") Could a more experienced player please give me a hand?

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
(Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.)
I'm playing Diamond for the first time and I only have five team members, and I'm about to go through Victory Road. I need to add one more pokemon to my team. My team is:
Murkrow - lv 45
Steelix - lv 45
Luxray - lv 46
Empoleon - lv 45
Kadabra - lv 45

I can't evolve my Kadabra yet, I don't have anyone to trade with. I was using Ponyta but then I learned that my rival also uses it and I don't like to have the same pokemon as my rival. Abomasnow was going to be my pick, but I'm not sure if it's strong enough. Help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
There's a Dusk Stone in the Team Galactic base in Veilstone. I highly recommend getting that to evolve Murkrow. As for Kadabra, if you have wifi, you could get someone here on PC to trade and trade it back to you using the Quick Trade thread, or by going into the Trade Corner chat. There's a link in that section if you want to go for it. I recommend having Alakazam. It's a great Pokemon and it will help you a ton.

Anyway, as for a final party member, I don't recommend Abomasnow. He'll make it Hail and he's the only one on your team that's immune to it, so that might not be the best choice. If you do want a Grass type though, Roserade is pretty good. And since you started with Piplup, your rival won't have one. ;)

If you want more constructive help with your team, you should check out the in-game team help forum. You'll have to post movesets when you make a thread in there, but I think it'd be much more helpful than posting it here. :)

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
(NOTE TO MODERATORS: Not sure whether this follow-up belongs here or in Emulation, since I play Pearl on DeSmuME and hope that my attached savefile will shed some lignt on the problem. If you think this post needs moving, feel free to move it. Now, on to the question...)

By now, I've defeated all the lesser trainers in Snowpoint Gym and destroyed most of the snowballs. Even after watching the YouTube walkthrough 3-4 times, however, I still can't hit the last obstacles between me and Candice. If one of you could please look at my savefile and show me where to go, I'd appreciate that very much. Thank you again!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
(NOTE TO MODERATORS: Not sure whether this follow-up belongs here or in Emulation, since I play Pearl on DeSmuME and hope that my attached savefile will shed some lignt on the problem. If you think this post needs moving, feel free to move it. Now, on to the question...)

By now, I've defeated all the lesser trainers in Snowpoint Gym and destroyed most of the snowballs. Even after watching the YouTube walkthrough 3-4 times, however, I still can't hit the last obstacles between me and Candice. If one of you could please look at my savefile and show me where to go, I'd appreciate that very much. Thank you again!

I understand your confusion, but again, emulation questions (in any state, shape or form) do not belong here. I will let this one slip since it's a follow up question, but next time please post it in the appropriate thread in Emulation.

As for your puzzle problem...it's in Part 2 of the video, and the commentator makes it pretty clear on how to solve the puzzle. If you're still having trouble you could always search other videos that may prove to be less ambiguous for you to understand.

Emilia1234

Relapsed
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 8, 2013
What are the odds of hatching a shiny in Gen IV? Is there any way to influence them?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Your chances of hatching (or finding) a shiny are 1/8192. If you're breeding two Pokemon of different regions, for example a Japanese Ditto and an American Togekiss, the chances are 1/1639. Shinies are possible in gen IV, that being said.

Lolcatcomics

Novice Geek
Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2013
Hi!
I'm playing SoulSilver and have reached Blackthorn City. I have twice gotten to Claire and twice blacked out. I realize that i probably need an Ice type,but all i have found in Ice Cave is a lv.20 Swinub. does anyone know where i can get a Seel or a Dewdong, preferably at a higher level? Thanks!
(or are there any other, better ice types i should use?)

jammi567

Was looking at Pokearth on Serebii, and saw that random trainers can have higher leveled Pokemon when re-battled with the Vs. Seeker. However, I've re-battled some trainers at different points in the story, and none of their levels have increased. How/when do their levels increase, as I think they'd be a good source of training for the E4 and Cynthia?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I wanna say they increase after you've beaten all 8 gyms, but if not, then it's definitely after the Elite Four.

SchwarzRozen

Sugary Delight
Years
When it comes to Pokemon Battle Revolution, when importing your Pokemon from HGSS do things such as exclusive moves (egg/tutor) or event moves go in the game> I understand I had a problem in Plat when I tried to put in some of the Pokemon in their exclusive forms and what not.

Darkrai with Special Rend
Xatu with Signal Beam
Togepi with Extrasenory
for example

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Not totally sure, but since this more heavily involves PBR, a spin off game, if I were you, I'd ask in the Spin Off Q&A thread. You're more likely to have someone that knows answer your question there.

While I'm here though, I'm pretty sure that people would submit in their hacks with illegal moves and they went through fine, so I wouldn't imagine you having trouble with it. But the in the case of the formes, the game doesn't recognize them because the game was released before Platinum and HGSS. So I don't think it'd have a problem with the moves. But like I said, I'm not 100%.

Years
I've spent literally the whole day trying to connect to the internet to trade from my HG game to Pearl. I've gotten the ds connected to the internet, and I've gotten an access point, but when I try to connect to the access point it says: "The access point's security settings are not supported by th Nintendo DS. For help, please visit support.nintendo.com"
What do I have to do? I went to the nintendo website but it's no help to me.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Perhaps your wifi isn't compatible with the Nintendo DS wifi. I think there's a wifi help thread in Technology and Internet, and it'd probably help you much more if you asked there. Wifi isn't my forte; wasn't able to use it til the end of gen IV.

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2013
Early game exp training?

Im around the area, azalea town, and its next to impossible to get a decent amount of exp, so ive decieded to ask you all, whats the best early game exp training location?

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
Tbh, it's hard to get exp at any level in the game. All the wild pokemon are vastly underleveled and trainers aren't infinite sadly. Your best bet is to just kill random wild pokemon though.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I would suggest battling the gym leader if you are able to. Even though you might lose, if you at least defeat one of their Pokemon, you can get a stack of experience.

Anyway, I'm going to move this into the 4th Gen Help thread where questions like these actually belong.

Moved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back