• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
Update #3
Went through the diglett cave to get Flash.
got my bike on to the cave of wonders.
Meowth flashed the cave and i crept through it...
I have gotten lost in this cave several times as a child so i really don't like this cave.
Got through it without any troubles and now my pokemon are all lvl 29.
getting to Celadon city my team is 30, 31, 31, and 31; i hope my team listens to me on the gym leader...
Usually i have a team of 6 always instead of a team of 4 and usually i defeat each and every trainer i'm given the opportunity of battling. With the reduced number of pokemon i'm not used to being so overleveled without any grinding involved. (its kinda nice tbh)
with that said off i go to kick the grass gym's bootie.
Spaurz evolved :] into Venusaur
My record for how long i've ever used Beedrill is marked today as i fight the trainers of the 4th gym. Might i just say i'm impressed with Beedrill, if you use his moves tacticfully he's pretty powerful.
The gym leader was a disgrace. NidoKing soloed everything with dig and thrash.
Kicked the rockets out of their secret base.
On to the creapy tower to get my gastly and live happily ever after.
Caught a Gastly at level 17
Gastly grinding isn't too bad. He levels fast and half the pokemon spam curse which means i only have to kill half of them.
Beat all the rockets out and my Gastly evolved into Haunter. Haunter will now be forciby evolved now into Gengar through trade. Mmm Gengar.
My team is nearly complete, i only have one more to fill my 6th slot and that one is Tentacruel.
I decided to kill snorlax giving my new Gengar another level (26)
Did cycling road and route 12 (i killed both snorlax lol...)
my team are all around lvl 38
I got HM02,HM03, and HM04 back to back :)
lol wtf my nidoking can surf but my golbat can't fly -.-;;
Taught nidoking surf and venusuar strength (venusaur still had tackle.. i decided to up tackle to strength :] )
gonna skip Saffron City for now and kick Koga's butt
Koga really didn't put up a challenege at all.... Venusaur soloed everyone of his pokemon. He wasted both of his hyper potions on muk and his full heal on his first koffing.
From here i'll go get sabrina
I caught a fearow so i could use fly. Meowth will now permanently be boxed lol.. slave trading is kinda weird in pokemon

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2015
FireRed Mono Water update #2
So, I went and bought the Magikarp, from the salesman, in the Pokecenter on Route 4, thanks, Pekin. So then I had to keep switching out Magikarp to Wartortle each battle. Gah! So annoying, but after that I fought a Hiker and my Squirtle evolved into Wartortle, Yay! After that I got out of the cave, at the right moment since my Wartortle was about to faint through poisoning. So then i fought my rival, and I almost whited out I had to use my revive because his Bulbasaur used sleep powder and kept using Vine whip, and I got really lucky and I OHKO'd him with Mega punch. Then I went and beat all of the trainers on Route 24 & 25 and met Bill, and I challenged Misty:
Difficulty 0/5: All I did was just spam the move Bite twice and I won, that may have been due to my Wartortle being overleveled. But meh I guess It pays off when battling alot of trainers.
P.S I will be updating once per day, since i'm way ahead of this part of the game right now right now

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
Update on Dark run
-defeated Roxie
-evolved Purrloin into Liepard
-caught Eevee in the Castelia Park
-defeated Burgh
-caught Sandile
-evolved Eevee into Umbreon
-caught Scraggy

Team:
Liepard
Lv. 27

Umbreon
Lv. 27

Sandile
Lv. 19

Scraggy
Lv. 18

Years
Pokémon Red Monotype (Normal) Update #2:

Spoiler:

Years
#7 Update for Monobug - Black 2

-picked
501.png

-done the usual boring stuff
-caught the Impish Male
540.png
on Route 20
-grinding to Level 8
-defeated Rival

097.gif
: difficulty 0/5
*Bug Bite piece of cake

-caught the Naive Male
543.png
on Route 20
-done Virbank Complex Quest
-defeated Team Plasma

098.gif
: diffciutly 3/5
543.png
with an Oran Berry and Rollout without getting hit by any critical hit

-
540.png
evolved into
541.png
in Castelia Sewers
-done Castelia Sewers Quest
-
543.png
evolved into
544.png
in Castelia Gym
-
541.png
evolved into
542.png
inside Castelia Gym(*____*)

095.gif
: difficulty 1/5
557.png
caused little problems but 2 Razor Leaf killed it

-done Desert and Desert Resort
-caught the Impish Male
214.png
in Lostlorn Forest
-grinding
214.png

-
544.png
evolved into
545.png
in Nimbasa Gym

094.gif
: difficulty 0/5
*not difficulty at all nothing to say anyway xD really easy

-defeated Team Plasma
-caught the Calm Female
595.png
in Chargestone Cave

099.gif
: diffciulty 0/5
542.png
Razor Leaf and
214.png
Brick Break on
530.png

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Type: Bug
Game: Emerald
Badges: 8

It's been a while since my last update on this challenge. I think I just beat Wattson last time I updated. Anyway, Flannery was a bit of a pain, but Masquerain pulled through most of it, and Volbeat took out the rest, after Masquerain fell. Norman was fairly easy, after Ninjask had set up a few Swords Dances. Winona was tough. Her Skarmory was a real pain, but her Altaria was easy, thanks to Masquerain's Ice Beam. Shedinja plowed through most of the Mossdeep Gym, but went down a bit quicker than expected to the leaders. Nothing Armaldo and Volbeat couldn't handle, though. Juan was a joke. I had Ninjask Baton Pass a +6 attack boost and a +4 speed boost to Shedinja, which then singlehandedly OHKO'd every single one of his 'mons.

And here I am now, and this is my current team:

Spoiler:

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
Username:GarryMuzzaFuzzinOak
Challenge: Bug
Completed:0

I would like to do the bug monotype challenge in Emerald. I was wondering if I could start the game with a level 5 Wurmple instead of a starter, ok?

KidCarter93

PokéTech Guy
Years
Sounds interesting, so I'm in.

Username:KidCarter93
Type: Poison
Challenge: Single
Game:Fire Red

I'll get started later tonight and I guess I'll be back in a few days :)

Years
I don't feel like going into detail, but I'm doing my fourth monotype challenge on SoulSilver with Dragon (after Water, Bug, and Normal). I traded in a Bagon egg, hatched it, and put my Chikorita in the PC afterward, and now I also have one Dratini and its child waiting to hatch. Later on I'll try for a Kingdra. I'm in Whitney's Gym right now.

Pekin

Years
Type: Bug
Game: Emerald
Badges: 8

Challenge complete!

Huge pic:
Spoiler:

Alright, so after beating Juan, I went straight to Victory Road. I didn't have Flash, but I did have Mudkip the HM slave with me, so I was able to get through. But it was incredibly tough, actually. At the end, all I had left was Masquerain and a paralyzed Armaldo. Onwards to the Elite Four!

Sidney was easy enough. Mightyena was a 2HKO from Volbeat's Signal Beam. Absol was a OHKO from Armaldo's Brick Break. I sent out Ninjask against Sharpedo and succesfully Baton Passed a speed boost and a Swords Dance to Volbeat, who sweeped the rest with Signal Beam.

Phoebe took a few soft resets (well, in this case, closing and opening VBA) for my strategy to work, but eventually, it did. Ninjask Baton Passed a speed boost and a Swords Dance to Shedinja, who then sweeped her entire team with Shadow Ball.

Glacia fell to the force that is support Ninjask and Adamant Armaldo. Ninjask Baton Passed a +4 attack boost and a +2 speed boost to Armaldo, who then proceeded to sweep her entire team with Brick break or Iron Tail.

Drake was a bit tougher. Masquerain was able to take down Shelgon and Flygon with Ice Beam, but having been severely dented by Flygon's Flamethrower and being unable to OHKO Altaria, it was taken down by an Aerial Ace. Ninjask was able to finish off Altaria, but Salamence took Ninjask down with a Rock Slide right after. I sent out Armaldo to Toxic Salamence and wait out the poison while healing and reviving Ninjask in the process. After Salamence fainted, he sent out Kingdra, and I sent Ninask back out, who barely managed to Baton Pass a speed boost to Shedinja. After a tiring battle with more Smokescreens than I'd like, Shedinja won the match.

Wallace wasn't too bad. Ninjask Baton passed a Swords Dance and a speed boost to Shedinja, who was able to set up no less than 6 Double Teams before going on an invincible Shadow Ball rampage. Seriously, the only way he was able to take down my Shedinja was with Toxic, which has crap accuracy in Gen III. And after a +6 evasion boost, that's not gonna happen.

Another huge pic:
Spoiler:

Final team:

Spoiler:

This was truly challenging, but really fun. I'm not sure what my next game in this ultimate challenge will be, or if I'll continue with my Grass or my Flying challenge before going further with this one. We'll see.

EDIT: I'm going to continue my Flying Monotype challenge. Skipping Emerald for now and going with Platinum, because it's been ages since I've played through Platinum. Will post my first update later tonight.

Quick question: Am I allowed to trade in a Murkrow from SoulSilver sometime later in the game? I really want to use Honchkrow on my Platinum team, but Murkrow is unavailable in Platinum - it's found in Diamond, though, but I don't have Diamond. Shucks.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2013
@Pekin I don't see no reason why you couldn't trade a murkrow in. You could even trade it in as an egg, according to one of the rules. As for me, Update time. Johto update #1: Started Crystal, got Cyndaquil and nicknamed it Tyson. Did the boring beginning stuff, beat my rival, named him Derp(XD). Tyson went on a rampage on every trainer, reaching Violet City with Tyson at Lvl.10. Did some Growlithe hunting, catching one and nicknamed him Loyal. Grinded Loyal up to Lvl.8. See you later with a new update.

Sorry, my psp has a type limit, so you'll see two post for one update, which sucks. This is my current party: Tyson the Cyndaquil(M) Lvl.10 with: Tackle, Leer, and Smokescreen; and Loyal the Growlithe(M) with: Bite and Roar. You'll always see my team in seprate posts for an update, so yeah. See you later. :)

Last edited:

ScubaDouch3

Ice-Type Lover
Years
Finished Platinum so here's the final results:

Ultimate Fighting-Mono Challenge: Platinum

392.png
68.png

Bardock - Male Lv.59 Macho Man - Male Lv.58
Ability: Blaze Ability: No Guard

Moves: Moves:
Close Combat DynamicPunch
Shadow Claw Rock Slide
Flamethrower Earthquake
Mach Punch Karate Chop
-------------------------------------------------------------------
214.png
475.png

BeetleBorg - Male Lv.58 Sir Loin - Male Lv.59
Ability: Guts Ability: Steadfast

Brick Break Psycho Cut
Close Combat Brick Break
Megahorn Leaf Blade
Aerial Ace Night Slash
-------------------------------------------------------------------
454.png
448.png

Dart - Male Lv.56 Jackie - Female Lv.58
Ability: Anticipation Ability: Steadfast

Dig Flash Cannon
X-Scissor Shadow Ball
Revenge Aura Sphere
Poison Jab Psychic
-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm putting my Poison-Mono on hold for now and starting an Ultimate Dark-Mono Challenge, also, is it possible to have more than one picture in your signature? Because when I try to put more than one userbar they won't show up.

(Sorry for the jumbled update, I noticed the problem but I don't feel like putting in everything again.)

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Never mind il start with my starter then immediately catch Wurmple.
Good call, the other way would have broken the rules.
Quick question: Am I allowed to trade in a Murkrow from SoulSilver sometime later in the game? I really want to use Honchkrow on my Platinum team, but Murkrow is unavailable in Platinum - it's found in Diamond, though, but I don't have Diamond. Shucks.
I'll allow it. It's still a 4th gen game in your regional dex, so it works.

Pekin

Years
I'll allow it. It's still a 4th gen game in your regional dex, so it works.

Sweet!

Anyway, here goes my first early update.

Type: Flying
Game: Platinum
Badges: 1

****, I haven't played Platinum in ages. Anyway, chose Piplup as my starter, hoping it'd serve as an HM slave later on. Caught myself a Starly as soon as possible - only had to try twice to get a Jolly one! Then I lied to Prof. Rowan about really, really wanting to fill up the Pokédex, and then I bolted. Blasted through the game, then I battled Roark. By that point, I was a tad bit overleveled, but still - having only a Normal/Flying bird to take on a Rock-type Gym isn't all sunshine and daisies. (I refuse to use Zubat again) I managed to pull off 6 Double Teams, throwing in the occasional Growl to lower Geodude's attack. Then I fed Staravia with an X Attack, an X Defend and a Dire Hit - I think that's the first time I've ever used those items. After that, I was able to Wing Attack through the rest of his Pokémon with relative ease. I'm in Floaroma Town now, and I'm about to kick some Team Galactic ass while I wait for my honey tree to (hopefully) attract a male Burmy or perhaps even a female Combee. It's getting late here, so I'll have to check back with it tomorrow.

Anyway, here's my current "team":

Spoiler:

ScubaDouch3

Ice-Type Lover
Years
Quick question, I can trade a Heracross egg into White2 right, or since you can find one in the Hidden Grotto would I have to catch one there? If so, should I wait to trade it in when I reach Lostlorn Forest or just trade it in whenever?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 26, 2018
MAJOR UPDATE

I last left the first leg of my Flying Ultimate Monotype off in Mt. Moon training up Rage the Magikarp. Put in alot of work today and here is where I am.

- Took on Rival and Nugget Bridge and met Bill
- Beat Misty with my newly evolved Gyarados, Rage
- Stormed through SS Anne and met the Cut Master
- Caught a Spearow and traded him for my cut slave Dux the Farfetch'd
- Beat down Surge with the help of Zippo the Charmeleon
- Explored Digglet Cave and got Flash from Oak's aide and Old Amber in Pewter after catching a few Pokes for the Dex
- Caught a Drowzee for flash
- Completed Rock Tunnel
- Made it to Celadon
- Spent some coin on coins and got my newest team member, Dracaris the Dratini
- Spanked Erica with Birdman the Pidgeotto and Zippo
- Defeated Giovanni at gamecorner and Zippo evolved into Charizard
- Rescued Mr. Fuji
- Took Cycling Road to Fuchsia and beat Koga
- Completed Safari Zone and Surfed to Cinnabar to revive my final team member
- Revived Aero, the Aerodactyl
- Flew to Saffron and Kicked the Rockets out of Silph
- Beat Sabrina
- Beat the Pokemon Mansion and Beat Blaine
- Flew to Viridian and took down Giovanni for the final time

CURRENT TEAM
Spoiler:

From here I'm planning on cleaning up all the trainers between Fuchsia and Lavender because I have yet to go there and then I'll take on my rival before starting victory road. If necessary I may grind it up in Pokemon Mansion on Cinnabar as well but I think I should be alright... Will update again tonight or tomorrow

EDIT

Now everyone is level 50 so I feel confident heading to Victory Road that I won't have to grind for the Pokemon League too much

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
Update for Dragon run
I've defeated all 8 gym leaders. Now must get through Victory Road, train up my pokemon, and defeat the Elite Four.

Team:
Spr_1b_149.png

Dragonite
Lv. 56

Spr_1b_148.png

Lv. 40
Dragonair

Spr_1b_147.png

Lv. 40
Dratini

Edit: I have defeated the Elite Four and the Champion for the Red part of my dragon monotype run
Final Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 26, 2018
FLYING ULTIMATE MONO CHALLENGE KANTO FINAL UPDATE

Well I knocked it out, the first leg of my Flying UMC is in the books. The Elite 4 was surprisingly easy, and after finally beating Lorelei and her damn Lapras (that thing nearly ruined me) the rest was pretty much hassle free. Bruno was the least challenging and Agatha, Lance, and Blue were not far behind. I only really had trouble with Lance's Aerodactyl and Blue's Blastoise from there out.

Final Team Hall of Fame Screenshots
Spoiler:

I have not decided which game I will be playing for my Johto leg of this adventure but I should be decided by tomorrow and I will post an update then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back