• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen How long did it take for a full team?

✯Shigeru✯

I Dropped The Lift Key...
Years
Usually by the time I go to the Sevi Islands for the first time I'll have my whole team. As late as I can remember going without a full team is right before the e4 when i caught and used an Articuno.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
The Kanto starters were a bit underpowered. The legendary birds, too. And they were abused. Most people underestimated the potential of Pokemon like Kingler.

I never had a full team of six, but nevertheless, it was a full team.

Kingler, Alakazam, Dragonite, Espeon. This amazing clutch team was never defeated.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
It depends on the type of game I'm playing. If it's Platinum, just after I get the Rio-Egg. If it's Ruby, then I have to wait until finishing the last gym in order to get meself a Salamence.

That way, in FR/LG, I suppose as soon as Cinnabar I get myself the Dewgong, so yes again until the 7th gym. It's not so bad either, I content myself with my starter until the third gym or so. In fact, I guess that the Dewgong is gotten much later than my other Pokémon, because my team usually has a Pidgeot, Venusaur, Flareon/Arcanine, Golem and Dragonite/Alakazam already.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
I never managed to get past the fifth Gym or so when I had access to my FireRed game, but I am quite sure that I had a full team prior to that (usually, my team is quickly assembled out of early-game Pokemon whom I feel have some sort of potential). Knowing me, I probably managed to assemble a full team by the time I reached Erika.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
I'll go with the consensus and say between getting my 6th and 7th Badge (usually because I get Lapras last at Silph Co).

The first time I played though Fire Red, I pretty much replicated my Championship Team from the original Red: Charizard, Raichu, Lapras, Dragonite, Alakazam, Machamp. (I originally had a Pidgeot instead of a Dragonite, but this was the only change I made)

Subsequent restarts and replays of both this Fire Red and an extra copy of Leaf Green that I got from my friend, I planned out my teams, each time using a different team.

Years
  • Age 24
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 21, 2017
I'm currently doing a playthrough of FireRed. I have 6/8 badges and my team is Charizard L46, Vaporeon L46, Dugtrio L46, Raichu L46, and Dratini L26. I'm still training the Dratini, but I don't know which Pokemon I should choose for my sixth member. Suggestions would be helpful and appreciated!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
I rarely beat the game with a "Full Team" I use 5 for most of the game... and sometimes it takes me upwards of Pokemon Mansion to get even the 5th pokemon...

playing with less than a full deck removes the need for time consuming grinding, because your exp from fighting trainers is spread out over fewer allies.

also because I am picking and choosing my specific team, I never replace anyone...

the 6th slot might be filled with a Meowth pining for PPups using his PickUp ability. but he is removed before entering the E4...

I recently started a Nuzlocke challange and even without my desired team I still only have 5 pokemon and am ready to face the E4

Last edited:
Years
I never get full Pokémon teams until after the final gym. Usually I only use about 3-4 Pokémon while going through the walkthrough, and then go back to certain places to find Pokémon that I want/need after getting the final gym badge.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I'm actually playing LeafGreen right now and I just beat Misty with 4/6 of my full team. I only need to catch Vulpix and get the Eevee in Celadon and then I'll have them all!

nitemate

Don't play Pokemon anymore ...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 17, 2014
usually I assemble my team only before victory road. Till then keep changing my party.

Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2022
I don't like having a large team early in the game so I generally try to spread the members out a bit. I normally have a full team around the 6th or 7th gym, although I'll occasionally catch my 6th in Victory Road.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
I caught every Pokemon I saw that didn't have a Pokeball on the battlescreen, unless of course it was a evolution, so all of these pokemon were EXP shared and short run through high level wild grass and then to PC after evolve.

By the time I had a full actual team that I meant to use as my team was after the E4.

Charizard
Pigeot
Raichu
Gyaridos
Persian
----------------Pre E4
Houndoom
----------------after E4

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2013
When i was small. I also train one Pokemon only. That Pokemon was my starter Pokemon, Mudkip. I dont know how did i mange to beat the Elite 4 and Champion too, LoL! That strange!

Edited: Did not see the prefix.. So this is for FR/LG only? If so, it take me 10 hour or so to get my team. My team only have 3 Pokemon. LoL! Find it hard to rise 6 Pokemon..

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
My starter was squirtle, and I quickly caught a pidgey. I got a Pikachu in Viridian forest. Then I caught a Nidoran and a Mankey after Pewter city. I finished my team off by getting a dratini in the celadon game corner.
My final team was:
Blastoise
Pidgeot
Raichu
Nidoking
Primape
Dragonite

TY

Just before the E4 my team was full, containing:

Blastoise
Pidgeot
Nidoking
Arcanine
Rhydon
Magneton

Sirfetch’d

Tbh, I don't think I really ever had a full team because I was constantly boxing and changing Pokemon up until the Elite Four.

Back