• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaWinnerGON

Backpacker
Years
Tachikaze316 ^^ The magnemites sound like a pain in the donk. I wish you luck my friend...

Update Time:
-Delivered the Devon Goods and saved the Museum in Slateport
-Beat May with little effort, thanks to Yoko's beastlyness (who evolved just before, so Mach Punch raped)
-Went up to Mauville, showed Wally whose boss, then tackled the gym with little trouble (thanks to Chick-FilA's Embering DoubleKicks)
-Rocksmashed and battled through to Fallarbor, caught DiGiorno the Machop along the way
-Found the weird guy at the falls getting harassed by some Magma goons, helped him out.
-Exited south in the cave, went through the Rustboro Tunnel to visit Wally in Verdanturf
-Saved the mountain from Magma's evil eruption plan
-Soaked it up in some hotsprings in Lavaridge, then beat the gym thanks to Wasabi's durability and Chick-FilA's fire resistance
-Got the goggles to go explore the desert, picked up a fossil
-Went back to Petalburg to fight daddy, and beat him thanks to Fightings rapeness over Normal types
-Surfed to Slateport, exploring the Abandoned ship along the way
-Went up the route to Fortree City, saving the Weather Institute from more nefarious deeds, and beating the Rival along the way

Current Team:
DiGiorno (Machoke) Lv 29
-Low Kick
-Revenge
-Foresight
-Karate Chop

Chick-FilA (Blaziken) Lv 37
-Quick Attack
-Peck
-Blaze Kick
-Double Kick

Wasabi (Hariyama) Lv 35
-Fake Out
-Vital Throw
-Smellingsalt
-Arm Thrust

Yoko (Breloom) Lv 36
-Mega Drain
-Headbutt
-Sky Uppercut
-Mach Punch

Slave (Zigzagoon) Lv 22
...I'm trying to keep him leveled up, so he picks up better items with Pick Up

Time to knock some birds out of the sky at the gym...praying it won't require any grinding beforehand. We shall see.

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
Years
I am going to try and go through Pokemon Silver with every single type.
I will start off with bug.

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
-Battled Eusine
-Got HM02
-Flew back to Olivine
-Caught more Magnemites
-Gave Jasmine the SecretPotion
-To the Gym!

Leader Battle: Jasmine
Team:
Spoiler:
Mudslapped the first Magnemite, Screech/MudSlap/Rollout'd Steelix, SonicBoomed the second magnemite

-To Mahogany Town
-Knocked out the Red Gyarados, after all, I've got better things to catch...like Magnemites.
-Magnus solo'd the Rocket Hideout
-Caught ~15 more magnemites, finally got a metal coat, now I just need 1 for the Scyther I'm gonna catch...
-Traded Onix to another rom, traded Steelix back
-To the Gym!

Leader Battle: Pryce
Team:
Spoiler:
Solid took down Pryce's first 2 mons, Foret rollout'd Piloswine

-Due to a freak emulation accident, it was now saturday morning, (I have no idea how it happened) Bug catching contest time!
-Caught a scyther, Das Craw
-Cleared Team Rocket out of the radio tower
-Beat up Suicune
-Went through Ice Path
-Decided to go *twitch* catch more magnemites so I could evolve Scyther. 30 magnemites later (Wow, a lot quicker this time) Das Craw was a Scizor
-To the Gym!

Leader Battle: Clair
Forgot to write down team...sorry.

Foret swept Claire's team

-Headed into the Dragon's Den
-Got the 8th badge and a new HM Slave

Next Time! Kanto! And more Magne*shot*

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
Years
Bug Monotype on Silver from Beginning-Elite 4

Journey to the Elite 4
Spoiler:

Pokemon before the Elite 4
Spoiler:

The Elite 4
Spoiler:

And now off to beat the rest of the gym leaders and eventually Red.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Hacked in a Caterpie because a hate using Weedle or Ledyba and they were the only bug pokemon I could get before Falkner
That's not fair! The rules state(at least from my memory, sorry if it's wrong) that you can only hack if your type isn't available early in-game. BUT, as you stated, Ledyba and Weedle are available. I personally think it should be counted as cheating, because I would catch a Nidoran if it was the only poison type available before the first gym, even though I hate it. (I'm sure everybody would do it too.) You've got to suck it up and use whatever pokemon is available at the time unless you're monotyping with Dragon, Ghost, Ice, or Dark and Steel in gen ll. (Besides, Ledyba is AWESOME, and Beedrill isn't too bad either.) It also bugs me that you hacked a Butterfree and not a Caterpie. Cheater.

Anyway, getting back to my challenge I have no updates; I did find something to sell quite a long time ago, but I've been, well, hypnotized by Brown and I'm more up to playing Brown than Emerald for now, as the only thing that I would be capable of if I played Emerald would be to grind, as I'm toast if I challenge Wattson. Doesn't mean I'm giving up though; I'll update as soon as Wattson gets what he DESERVES!

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
yeah juju, you need to use the Pokemon that are avaliable in the game. If there aren't any, then you can hack one in. I personally would love to have a Starmie or Lapras at the beginning of a Water Run, but no dice.

Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2018
Well that's derpin. Wanting to make a run more fun does not a douchebag make.
Preventing fun does.

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2013
Ok, havent updated in a while because playing it on classic DS Lite... well here goes!

Update 1!

Chose Piplup (obvioulsy)
Beat Rival
Talkted to Mom
Met Cyrus
Got Pokedex
Got a tour of Sandgem Town
Talked to Mom
Got Parcel
Got Poke Balls
Caught to Bidoofs (Toothy and Slave)
Trained
Met Looker
Gave Rival the Parcel
Beat Rival
Caught a Psyduck (ImQuackers)
Met Roark in the cave...
Trianed
Beat Roark on second try
Taught Slave Rock Smash
Went back to Jubilife and met Looker again
Beat Galactic Grunts with Dawn
Healed
Went to Floaroma town
Beat Galactic people
Caught a Shellos (Bathom)
Got through forest
Ends here... Later

Team:
Shellos level 16
Hidden Power
Water Pulse
Mud Bomb

Psyduck level 16
Water Gun
Scratch
Disable
Tail Whip

Bibarel level 18
Tackle
Headbutt
Defense Curl
Rollout

Prinplup level 17
Metal Claw
Bubble
Peck
Growl

Slave level 3
Tackle
Rock Smash

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
Alright, almost done with the Johto Half of my 2nd gen section of my Ultimate Normal Monotype run (man that's a mouthful).
I Defeated the Rockets
KOed Suicune
Made it through Ice cave
Dumped Togetic cuz it pretty much sucked. Ah well, Room for a future Snorlax/Clefairy/Chansey (suggestions please?)
Defeated Clair (barely)

Team
Once again I can't remember the exact levels but they are in the low 30s

Blur the Furret
Spr_2c_162.gif

Surf
Fire Punch
Slam
Headbutt

Chrono the Noctowl
Spr_2c_164.gif

Fly
Tackle
Hypnosis
I Honestly forgot what was in this slot...

Matador the Tauros
Spr_2c_128.gif

Strength
Iron Tail
Horn Attack
Scary Face

SpiltMilk the Miltank
Spr_2c_241.gif

Defense Curl
Rollout (does Def Curl+Rollout even exist in Gen II?)
Stomp
Tackle

Courage the Granbull
Spr_2c_210.gif

Shadow Ball
Dynamic Punch
Bite
Charm (may replace with Ice Punch)

Slaves: Totodile

Debating on usage: Magesty the Togetic: Metronome, Sweet Kiss, Return, Flash

Years
first update in like a month!

I went to slateport to train for brawly, since granite cave wasn't working. After i got to level 20, i challenged him. I used chompers to take him out. fake tears helped lots. i used fake tears and bite twice on both his machop and makuhita. i'm so glad i got that over with...

My Current Team

Dino/Aron

Level 20

-Iron Defense
-Metal Claw
-Mud-Slap
-Headbutt

Chompers/Mawile

Level 20

-Astonish
-Fake Tears
-Bite
-Sweet Scent

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
-Headed to Kanto
-Got through victory road

The Elite 4
Team:
Spoiler:
Swept Will with no casualties

Das Craw swept Koga (nearly fainted vs Forretress)

Das Craw swept Bruno's fighting types, Solid beat up Onix (It appears my snake was harder...I'm sorry).

Agatha's team was easy, except Houndoom, I switched the quick claw to Magnus and reset until I went first with thunder wave.

Ah, Lance. Thundershock'd Gyarados and Aerodactyl, Rollout'd the 'nites.

-Did Powerplant sidequest
-Got Radio Expansion card
-Headed back to Johto for the radio card
-Killed a shiny tentacool :(
-KOd Snorlax
-Through Diglett's cave and to the Pewter Gym!

Leader Battle: Brock
Team:
Spoiler:
Solid swept the /ground types with Iron tail, Magnus took care of the /water types.

-To Cerulean City and another gym!

Leader Battle: Misty
Team:
Spoiler:
Das Craw took Golduck & Quagsire down, Magnus took care of the other two.

-Vermillion Gym

Leader Battle: Lt. Surge
Team:
Spoiler:
Too easy, Solid brutalised Raichu, Magnus dealt with Magneton and Foret beat up both Electrodes

-Celadon Gym

Leader Battle: Erika
Team:
Spoiler:
Das Craw swept her team with Wing Attack.

Next Time! Crossdressers, mimes and old men living in caves!

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
Years
Ok for one, it was a caterpie that I put in the game, I just trained it to become a Butterfree.
Second, I wanted to do this on Gold, but unfortunately I already had a save file on that, that I didn't want to overwrite. If I had told you it was Gold in the first place, you would not have known the difference anyway.
Third, its a CATERPIE. Does it really make a difference if I use it instead of a Weedle until I get to Goldenrod? It's not like I put in a Heracross or a Scyther. I agree that putting in a Starmie or a Lapras at the beginning of a game would be unfair, but that is because they are arguably two of the strongest pokemon of their type. I put in a pokemon that should be available at that spot in the game anyway just so I wouldn't have to train a pokemon that I would never use again and have to worry about grinding my low leveled caterpie later in the game. Actually it would probably mean that I would have to choose between a Butterfree and Scyther due to the fact that only one would be available unless I waited a few days to catch the other, but as you can see from my large update, I finished the first part of the game rather quickly and did not want to be forced to postpone my journey.

Therefore, I would like an apology for your harsh accusations and I hope that you can see that I was only doing this to prevent future problems from arising, not to make my game significantly easier or to take any of the fun away from raising your bad pokemon from scratch until they become the monsters we have grown to love.
Thanks

Sincerely,
Jujuju

lucaspontes

One of Them
Years
I'm thinking on starting a bug monotype challange in SS with Ledian, Parasect, Forretress, Heracross, Venomoth and Shuckle. However, I fear that I won't be able to beat Falkner with only Ledian. Hm... We'll see.

Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2010
Hi all, I come bearing bad news. I will no longer be able to continue with this challenge for a while because I dropped my DS and the hinges broke off :'(
I am going to buy a DS Lite (Yeah I know, they're old now, but I don't care!) so until I get it I am postponing the challenge. Farewell, fellow challengers!

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
Years
redq.png

Defeated Red
Go team bug

Final Team:
:t214:
Lv. 70 @ Soft Sand
Reversal
Earthquake
Megahorn
Endure

:t123:
Lv. 74 @ Sharp Beak
Slash
Wing Attack
Fury Cutter
Steel Wing

:t049:
Lv. 69 @ X Attack
Psychic
Gust
Sleep Powder
Sludge Bomb

:t012:
Lv. 69 @ Dire Hit
Psychic
Sleep Powder
Gust
Nightmare

:t213:
Lv. 83
Rollout
Sandstorm
Wrap
Rest

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
to all of you who disagree with jujuju, it's not like he hacked in his entire team.
Now for jujuju, hacking in any members of your team IS against the rules unless that type isn't available until after the first gym, like dragon pokemon or ice pokemon. And you can catch Caterpie in Silver, can't you?

Also just to let everyone know, I've started an Ultimate fighting, but since I had my Ultimate Normal First, I won't post any updates until a region has been completed.
Also, these updates will be in a First Person point of view, as if I AM the trainer, not the person controlling the player.

Last edited:

lucaspontes

One of Them
Years
I was trying to put the bug HGSS monotype signature but I just can't. I go in edit signature, put the image and save, but nothing happens. If someone could help me I would apreciate it. Oh well... let's begin.

*This challenge will be very slow, because I'm so busy. At least, that will make me put more datails in my posts.*

New Bark Town

Amber wakes up from her bed and go downstairs. Her mother says that her friend Ethan was looking for her. Amber steps out of the house, and is surprised by Ethan's Marril, who is called back by him as they go away. Seeing Marril, she couldn't wait to get her pokemon and runs to Prof. Elm lab. Inside, she chooses her starter pokemon, TOTODILE, but she also receives a request from Prof. Elm, asking her to go to Mr. Pokemon house. Leaving the lab, Amber encounters Ethan, who is glad with her new pokemon. She then go to her house and talk to her mom to let her know of her mission, and receives a Pokegear. Now she is prepared to leave the town. However... she notices a suspect red haired boy looking inside the lab from the window. She aproaches him, but he immediatly pushes her, as if he was doing something in secret. Angered, Amber leaves the town, but before, Prof. Elm leaves his lab and give her his phone number. Amber finally go into the first route, not knowing that many adventures await...

Pokemon:

158.png

Totodile, male (lv. 5)

EDIT: Never mind, solved the problem with the signature.

- Amber arrives at Cherrygrove City, receives the Running Shoes and map from Guide Gent. (Totodile lv. 6)
- At Mr. Pokémom house, she receives the Mystery Egg and get Prof. Oak phone number. (Totodile lv.8)
- After getting a phone call from Prof. Elm saying to return to New Bark, Amber goes back to Cherrygrove and meets the red haired boy again, who challenge her to a battle. (Totodile lv. 9)

Rival Battle 1

. Chikorita (lv. 5) vs. Totodile (lv. 9): Chikorita faints.

aa1.jpg

- Arriving at New Bark, Amber reveals the thief's name, Risi, and deliver the egg. She then asks her mom to store her money.
- Outside of New Bark, Ethan shows how to catch pokemon and give some poke balls. (Totodile lv. 10)
- At Route 30, Amber captures a Weedle lv. 4 and a Ledyba lv. 3, both female.

Pokémon:

Spr_4h_165_f.png
013.png

Ledyba, female (lv. 3); Weedle, female (lv. 4).

Last edited:

GrassGiant

Grass Fan
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
Updates are only be small, no details, if you want more there's my Youtube challenge, all by boss battles are posted there. actually, last update was Misty in Yellow

UMCBug

Last edited:

polkop

LSHMSFOAIDMT
Years
I have finally finish my mono-steel challenge on my HGSS.
I beat Red :)
Little summary of the battle:
Steelix took down Pikachu easily.
Blastoise miss his Focus blast on Magnezone and Magnezone successfully do a Zap canon that OHKO Blastoise.
Carizard did Flare Blitz on Aggron. Agrron survive and did Rock Slide. Charizard faint.
Lapras use Brine on Magnezone who survive. Magnezone did Thunderbolt and paralyse Lapras. Magnezone beat Lapras on the second hit.
Agrron use Iron head on Snorlax. Snorlax flinch. Snorlax faint before defeating Aggron.
Venusaur use Giga drain on Empoleon who survive. Empoleon use Ice beam. A critical hit. Empoleon faint on the next Giga Drain. I sent out Steelix. I revive Empoleon when Venusaur did Frenzy Plant. Empoleon beat Venusaur on the recharging turn.
Thanks to the Hail that help me a lot.
I won the battle :)

My super-win team:
303.png

Mawile - Adamant - lv 66
Intimidate - Black Glasses
- Crunch
- Strtenght
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

306.png

Aggron - Hasty - Lv 66
Rock Head - Leftovers
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Claw
- Double-Edge

395.png

Empoleon - Modest - Lv 66
Torrent - Mystic Water
- Surf
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Grass knot

462.png

Magnezone - Hardy - Lv 67
Magnet Pull - Magnet
- Zap Canon
- Thunderbolt
- Lock-On
- Flash Canon

208.png

Steelix - Hasty - Lv 70
Sturdy - Soft Sand
- Earthquake
- Rock Climb
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

EDIT:
Now, I'm going to start a mono-poison challenge on my HGSS.
I won't trade eggs, there has enough Poison type in th in-game.
I start right away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back