• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Zimmerman: it's Obama's fault

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
link
George Zimmerman says he bears a grudge against President Obama, accusing him of inflaming racial tensions around the Trayvon Martin case.

Zimmerman, who was acquitted of murder in 2013 over Martin's death, made the allegations against Obama in a video posted on his lawyers' website. (video in link)

The February 2012 killing of Martin, an unarmed black teenager, by Zimmerman, a Hispanic neighborhood watch volunteer, stirred fierce debate about race and the justice system.

Zimmerman, who is now 31, said he shot Martin in self-defense during a confrontation in Sanford, Florida. But critics allege the death was spurred by racial profiling.

'Dereliction of duty'
In the new video, Zimmerman claims it was Obama who stoked racial tensions surrounding the case.

He cites the President's remarks in March 2012, when the case was still being investigated, in which Obama said, "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon."

"To me, that was clearly a dereliction of duty, pitting Americans against each other solely based on race," Zimmerman says in the conversation with his lawyer Howard Iken, who does not appear on camera.

Zimmerman notes that Obama's press secretary at the time, Jay Carney, had said previously that the White House would not wade into the case, calling it "a local law-enforcement matter."

Asked if he felt there was one government agency or official who brought the most unfairness to his situation, Zimmerman is quick to respond.

"By far, the President of the United States, Barack Hussein Obama," he says.

Clear conscience
Zimmerman's comments are the first since the U.S. Justice Department announced last month that it wouldn't bring any civil rights charges against him.

He says that he feels that "the Department of Justice process worked," but also that it should have investigated whether his civil rights were violated.

"They had various numerous examples of bounties place on my head, credible threats placed against myself and my family," he says, adding that "the President and the Attorney General and the federal government declined to do anything about it."

Zimmerman says he has a clear conscience over Martin's death.

"Only in a true life or death scenario can you have mental clearness to know that you cannot feel guilty for surviving," he says.

I suppose I can expect the responses this thread will have, but nonetheless, what do you think of these comments?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Really Zimmerman? Blaming Obama? C'mon, ya gotta try to be more original than that, every right-winger and their mom blames Obama for everything.....

Tek

Years
This isn't news; everything's Obama's fault. /s

Anyways Zimmerman has a history of poor conduct and bad decision-making. If his conscience is clear, that's fine I guess. We all need to find some resolution to situations like these.

I do agree that due process of law and fairness require that Zimmerman's civil rights be considered. I didn't follow the situation closely enough to know whether that consideration was given.

As to whether Obama inflamed the situation, I'm not so sure about that. Again, I'm not well-informed about what went down. But I read the statement "If I had a son, he would look like Treyvon," not as a statement about ethnicity, but a reminder that Treyvon had a family. It was a statement to help those viewing the proceedings from afar to get a little closer to the human heart of what was happening. That's how I read it.

Were I more knowledgeable about the Treyvon/Zimmerman event, I might be able to say whether Obama's statement was well-timed.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
a fucking moron said:
"Only in a true life or death scenario can you have mental clearness to know that you cannot feel guilty for surviving," he says.

ha . . . hahahahaHAHAHAHAHA yeah wow.

I still think it's bullshit that Zimmerman was acquitted, so certainly I'm against him now. I think that he's a pathetic human being that deserves far worse than some "unfairness," so he really needs to shut the hell up.

I'll leave it at that.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
But what is the issue he has with that? That Obama made him feel bad? Made him think about what he did? Hurt his feelings?

Can I just leave this here..

tumblr_na7tns8aKt1tv85u1o1_500.jpg

They call me Brandon Lee

don't u look at my girlfriend
Years
this thread doesn't surprise me lol you people hahaha but seriously tho zimmerman is a douche why is anyone listening to him

sure he has the right to speak and say whatever he wants but his opinion is about as valid as the people who believe there are lizard people in office

maybe that's what he actually believes

Years
Yeah, let's casually blame the black guy for unleashing a tidal wave of racial tension and hatred across the country. But then claim that America is suddenly over its racial past and things like the Voting Rights Act are suddenly "unnecessary".

BriCKson

Rarely comes out of Trade Corner... O.o
Years
I do believe Zimmerman is a lunatic. However, to put some defense into his argument or... I guess to read it from a different side, we could relate it to the Michael Brown case. I do not believe, in the Michael Brown case, that the President did anything to help the nation come to a logical view of what occurred. I know it is still a hot topic.... however Darren Wilson was found innocent. A federal investigation could find no wrong doing(and you know they were searching so very hard). Before there was any understanding of what occurred, I honestly believe the President had judged Darren Wilson. Even after being found innocent the President made multiple statements about wrong doing in regards to law enforcement and it seems his statements(to me), attempt to belittle our court system.

"There are Americans who agree with it and Americans deeply disappointed, even angry," he said. Anger is "an understandable reaction,".

Now that is one small part of the statement made, however I don't think this is a correct approach. Attempting to address the problem this way to me only confuses people and using a case with no evidence as a way to bring attention to other wrong doings by law enforcement is wrong. Obama in this situation to me was simply wrong. Now he did similar in the Zimmerman case but the only thing I found wrong with that was that everyone attempted to turn the situation into a White VS Black thing. Zimmerman's actions speak for themselves and he caused the initial conflict, but I do think that media often plays race games and I think that the President has fueled it on multiple occasions. If that makes sense to anyone.... It's Just my opinion. :-o

Last edited:
Back