• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

[Developing] Pokémon Chronos

SinfulGuroRose

Ignore me, I'm socially inept.
Years
Pokémon Caliginous

Note that the project is in its developing stage, and the name may be subject to change. Previously Pokémon Chronos, until it was discovered that there was already a project with that name.

[a id]Introduction[/a id] Introduction

Hello there, I'm Marie and I'm one of the two co-creators of this project. (Norman, the other creator, does not have a PC account. U wU) We've been working on it for several months by now. I'm the main "programmer" in that I put together everything with RPGMaker XP, with the saving help of Pokémon Essentials. (Thank you, Maruno! <3)​

[a id]Story[/a id]Story

The Yadon region spans a vast amount of land, encompassing many towns, cities, people, and Pokémon. For the past few years, there has been something dark working to make itself known. From the ashes of Cypher, a scientist works to re-establish and strengthen shadow Pokémon. From his work comes a new team, one who exclusively uses shadow Pokémon and works to establish a new era of Pokémon fighting. However, another team rises to oppose the shadow users. Their work has made another, completely new class of Pokémon: light Pokémon.

Their fighting has wreaked havoc on the once peaceful Yadon region, the destruction spreading to the edges of the territory. What was once an isolated dispute has now become a full out war, and when it threatens those you hold close, you know that you have to help stop it.​

[a id]Progress[/a id]Progress

Maps:
Spoiler:

Tweaking misc things:
Spoiler:

Scripting:
Spoiler:

Graphics:
Spoiler:

[a id]Features[/a id]Features

• Features Pokémon from Generations I - V
  • All new Gym Leaders, Elite Four members, and Champion
  • Optional side quests throughout the region
  • Certain Shadow Pokémon can level up, and evolve
  • An all new class: Light Pokémon!
  • Ability to make normal Pokémon into Shadow/Light Pokémon
  • Mystery Gifts
  • more to be added as they are thought of

[a id]Screenshots[/a id]Screenshots

Spoiler:

[a id]Team[/a id]Team

Creators: Marie and Norman
Spriters: Dan and Marko

We're a small team and we would be delighted if you'd join us! Just send me a PM about what you'd like to contribute.

[a id]Credit[/a id]Credit

Spoiler:

[a id]Share?[/a id]Share?

n7ws.png

Code:
[PLAIN][URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=306884"][IMG]http://imageshack.com/a/img27/3931/n7ws.png[/IMG][/URL][/PLAIN]
uqpg.png

Code:
[PLAIN][URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=306884"][IMG]http://imageshack.com/a/img14/6070/uqpg.png[/IMG][/PLAIN]

Last edited:

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I like the idea, its very intriguing, and I've always loved the shadow series, it was one of the best series in a while, (even if they havent made a new one yet >:l)

I see several problems arising, such as the most notable "call" how will this change gameplay? when you battle it overrides "run" if the opponent has a shadow, but not if you do (at least thats how I believe it used to work) the problem is that you either cannot run from wild pokemon battle, or make shadow pokemon useless, as they go into hyper mode and can only come out of it when they are called - unless you have changed this feature it remains a problem

the other is that the struggle seems very onesided - I know nothing of the "light" pokemon, though the benefit of shadow pokemon is their increased stats and their high crit ratio with hyper mode - but one would not keep having shadow pokemon as they could not level giving the player the motivation to "unlock their hearts"
however, eliminating the leveling barrier makes me think why even bother? their shadow moves always are super effective and they are strong, why bother unlocking their hearts?

though now that I think of it, when you unlock their hearts, do they become light pokemon? is that the reason you would purify them? and even still, what are the benefits of a light pokemon? how is it balanced with some sort of "bad stuff"?

simply, the problem I see is that eliminating some key features really causes major problems in implementing a balanced ratio, you would ideally want a normal pokemon due to the fact they can learn new moves and level up, shadow pokemon are only good until they get purified because after a while they are still under leveled and eventually their stat buff means nothing, but iunno your plans for light pokemon, maybe their bad stuff is that they are cocky and have a high rate of ignoring orders

SinfulGuroRose

Years
Thank you for your input! :> It's allowed me to elaborate on some issues I'd only skimmed on previously.

I honestly had not been aware of that problem! I'm glad you informed me. What I think I'll do is, instead of having a 'Call' option, I'll remove it completely and replace it with an item. Possibly a renewable item, but I was thinking some sort of key item. What do you think?

What I had been thinking was that Shadow and Light Pokémon would have very similar issues battle wise. Light Pokémon are also the opposite to shadow in that, opposed to having closed hearts, their emotions run too freely. Light Pokémon would also have a hyper mode, which would have the same drawbacks as its shadow counterpart.

What I'm going to change about the Shadow leveling (and Light, as well) is that they can level, but with each level, they are more likely to disobey the trainer. Kind of like a traded Pokémon. Eventually, it will reach a certain point where the trainer will have to purify the Pokémon, because they would be literally unable to command it. Perhaps they'd even inflict minor damage to the other Pokémon in the team, but I don't know about that yet.

And when their hearts are unlocked, Shadow Pokémon become normal again. You also have to 'unlock the hearts' of Light Pokémon, and they become normal as well.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Thank you for your input! :> It's allowed me to elaborate on some issues I'd only skimmed on previously.

I honestly had not been aware of that problem! I'm glad you informed me. What I think I'll do is, instead of having a 'Call' option, I'll remove it completely and replace it with an item. Possibly a renewable item, but I was thinking some sort of key item. What do you think?

What I had been thinking was that Shadow and Light Pokémon would have very similar issues battle wise. Light Pokémon are also the opposite to shadow in that, opposed to having closed hearts, their emotions run too freely. Light Pokémon would also have a hyper mode, which would have the same drawbacks as its shadow counterpart.

What I'm going to change about the Shadow leveling (and Light, as well) is that they can level, but with each level, they are more likely to disobey the trainer. Kind of like a traded Pokémon. Eventually, it will reach a certain point where the trainer will have to purify the Pokémon, because they would be literally unable to command it. Perhaps they'd even inflict minor damage to the other Pokémon in the team, but I don't know about that yet.

And when their hearts are unlocked, Shadow Pokémon become normal again. You also have to 'unlock the hearts' of Light Pokémon, and they become normal as well.

oohh I see what you mean about the light pokemon, thats actually pretty cool, and I suppose the levelling problems would be fixed by continual disobediance
as for the hypermode thing, I'm not really sure, there are numerous possibilities but it would be annoying, such as having the key item, I dont believe you can use them in battle, although that could be changed, though you'd have to keep using it every time you hit hyper mode, you could make a hold item that reduces the chances of hitting hypermode, though you'd need to make countless items of these due to the number of shadow pokemon you'd have, then again you could make hypermode act like confusion, and it wears off after a certain number of turns and hurts the pokemon at the end of the turn, and instead of hurting itself it ignores the player

SinfulGuroRose

Years
What I've done right now is add a hold item, and it seems to work. :D I like the confusion idea, though! I'm not sure if I have the Ruby skills it takes to make it, but I'll try. Thanks a ton, Saving Raven! :> (And also, I appreciate the critique on my mapping in the other thread.)

SinfulGuroRose

Years
There will be shadow, light, and normal. Normal will still have the same shinies, but Shadow and Light won't have a shiny form, because our spriters are already working on over 1200 sprites each as it is. . 3.

SinfulGuroRose

Years
Thanks to Maruno, light Pokémon are now effectively coded! There are still a few bugs, but nothing a bit of tinkering can't fix. The Purify Chamber has also received a makeover, and while it's not the best I can do, it'll work for now. Note that the gender symbols for Pokémon are temporarily replaced by '??', as well as other misc. symbols; I use Gemini to help me edit the RGSS without getting so lost, and it doesn't like special characters. U wU

b00.png
3jcr.png
zcok.png

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I love it, this is shaping up to be quite the throwback to the loveable shadow pokemon games :P
I always loved the purifying machine - though it could pose as much much more useful than that of the actual games due to the mass amounts of pokemon at one's disposal in this game (unless you are removing wild pokemon O:

that being said, will the purifying machine be as available as it was in XD? will it also play the music while being used?

SinfulGuroRose

Years
Indeed, the Purifying Machine will be available not too long after Shadow Pokémon are first introduced to the player. :> And once I get it to work, there will be some song playing in the Purification Chamber + its light counterpart, but I don't remember what the song was that played. Was it the same one as at the Relic Stone? And have no worry, wild Pokémon are still accessible, and players will be able to turn wild Pokémon into Shadow Pokémon farther into the game.

SinfulGuroRose

Years
Oh, thank you!! ^ w^

Hohoho, I know. I just like giving the players more 'routes' to choose from than just the general 'hero saves people and does good things the end'. Grey areas are fun. :B

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I think the same thing... Turning them to shadow is a horrible idea...

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
well in that regard, dont just dip the foot in the water, push the player in and make them drown - dont let them be "the hero who sometimes abuses a few pokemon and puts them through inhumane processes, but other times saves ones he likes" no no no, make it a definite choice, either you save pokemon from this bane of existence in the Pokemon world, or you create and promote it - there shouldnt be grey areas on that, because when it's brought to the light, its all black

if you make it in this way, you can have alternate endings that would be ore fun in the end - you can have the player be the hero, saving the pokemon and defeating bad guys, or have the player choose to be the evil - have them "choose team rocket on the nugget bridge" make them fight those who oppose their evil, and defeat "heros" and have them capture player pokemon, or wild pokemon, or even both, and then have them become shadow pokemon

SinfulGuroRose

Years
Well, you're actually getting really close to the plot there, Raven. I don't want to really reveal too much about the plot, but at one point, there are sort of incognito missions that require the player to blend with the enemy team. The ability to create Shadow Pokémon comes from that team, and once the player leaves the team, the player can no longer create Shadow Pokémon on a whim.

I hadn't really thought about alternate routes, though. o: Considering there's so much to be done, but I really like that idea! Perhaps once we finish the game itself, we'll release a version with alternate routes.

th3shark

Develops in AS3/C++
Years
These are some good ideas. The ability to make pokemon light or dark at will sounds interesting! Leveling up light/shadow pokemon is a great risk/reward mechanic as well. But what's special about "light" pokemon, and how are they different from "shadow" pokemon?

The "purify chamber" picture is intriguing. What do the numbers, "tempo", and "flow" mean?

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
These are some good ideas. The ability to make pokemon light or dark at will sounds interesting! Leveling up light/shadow pokemon is a great risk/reward mechanic as well. But what's special about "light" pokemon, and how are they different from "shadow" pokemon?

The "purify chamber" picture is intriguing. What do the numbers, "tempo", and "flow" mean?
it refers to how well they will be purified, the goal is to have 4 pokemon who have a type advatage against the next, while having a type disadvantage to the previous, depending on how it is set up the (I believe) tempo gets higher, while if there are 4 the flow is the highest

the numbers refer to the chambers available, there are 9 - meaning a total of 9 shadow pokemon will be able to be purified at a time

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 14, 2013
Definitely an interesting idea. I'll be watching this one and eagerly awaiting a chance to try it out.

Back