• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Worlds - Game Maker 8.1 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
Pokemon Worlds is a new engine made with Game Maker that will allow you to create the ultimate Pokemon adventure you always dreamt of!...

Or that's what I would like to : D
Jokes aside, I'm giving my absolutely best on this thing.

I know that people here doesn't like GM too much for Pokemon games. I know it, GM its not the best for huge engines or games, however, it's perfectly capable of replicate a GBA game and with lots of improvements.

What I'm planning with Pokemon Worlds is making an engine based on the GBA games format (because of the graphics, mainly) that have to be very easy to customize, use, and that must be capable and complete enough to be able to make a full adventure with it.

I started the project from scratch 5 years ago, thinking that it was just only temporary fun, and thinking it wont become anything important. WRONG.
It have progressed a lot (slowly, but a lot), and having put that amount of time and effort on it that it really would be a crime not to finish it. So, I decided to convert it on my final university project. Which means I have to do something of quality, and finish it no matter what.

I have to say two things.

First, is that as I've said, it was started from scratch, and everything (except the art and the database system) is made and being made by me. Alone against the danger. And when I say everything, I mean a lot of things.

Second, I spent most of the time coding and improving the base structure, so the visible things will come after, but they are almost ready to build them up.

So, what does this mega-super-duper engine have by now (or will have soon) (aside from the basics of moving the main character)?

-A strong event system that allows you to easily create cutscenes, managing and controlling all the events of all the maps of the game. (Almost finished, but I will improve/modify it over time adapting to what engine needs).

-Moving NPCs, with custom paths or just random roaming, with collisions and dialogs. (Finished).

-Custom saving/loading system allowing for multiple games. (Functional, but not finished).

-A simple 'database' system, with an improved version of 'gmsdb', made by the user Catan on Game Maker community. It already have all Gen 1 Pokemons (with their names stats and properties) and all Gen 1 items. That one is a useless database, but at least I can use for testing purposes.

-A (soon complete) map editor, where you can edit the terrain properties, such as collisions, bush areas and some more things just by drawing rectangles. That part is fully functional. What I'm doing now is creating an object/event editor, so you can create events (that is, text files with commands that serves as scripts to the engine event system and that you had to write manually before) adding commands to a list and configuring its parameters. Then you can place an object on the map and assign it the created event.

Then I'll code a path creation system, so you create a path for an event just by clicking on the map. IMPORTANT: The map editor does not draw the maps. You will need external programs, such as Tiled, to do so.

Oh, talking about maps, I forgot. Now you can travel from one map to another, but I'll plan to make a system for interconnecting maps so you can apreciate a bigger world without having transitions all the time.

Those are the main and strong points of the engine, there's also some more small things, like the ability the player have to jump down and in both directions, a perfectly recreated battle intro, a more 'realistic' pokemon catching animation, a temporary main menu when you can load a game or create a character to start a new one. And one of the reasons I chose GM: It works at 60 fps (well, I would be the worst programmer ever if it dont...)

The engine, apart from that main menu, have also menus for the pokemon team and player bag, but they are useless right now. I didn't work on interfaces too much. Im focusing on more important things.
I have a long road ahead, I know it. The battle system, the pokédex, all the interface… lot of hard work, but this is getting promising, so I though it was being time to show it to others.

As soon as I finish the editor and check that everything that is done is working correctly I'll upload the first video.

By now, and since I joined here to show you the engine, I cannot post URLs, so no images, and no link to the blog. I'll try to have my 15 posts soon : D

So, that's all for now, thanks for reading this tl;dr;
I'll update both the blog and this post with all important progress I make.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Finally something interesting in this section to motivate me to work on PokeSharp. Why don't you show some medias of what you have?

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
I cant even post images : /

Idea. Gonna edit my signature.
(Done).

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
I cant even post images : /

Idea. Gonna edit my signature.
(Done).

Seems like you got the same problem as I did. You can exploit the system by posting then editing your post to add the picture, there is no check when you edit to make sure you have the right amount of posts or w.e

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Weird, I used to do that and it worked.

Anyway I'm gonna tell you what I think so far and what I can gather from what I've seen and read

- Like you said, Game Maker is trash and you should be frowned upon.

- The UI is strictly garbage but I think you also know that. Making UIs is actually fairly simple and doesn't require a lot of artistic skills though.

- From what I can see, you can't insert your own tilesets and the interface to select which tile to draw is a little crappy since it's only text.

- There doesn't seem to be any flow control methods in the event system such as conditional statements, loops and such. I assume this will be rectified before the full release.

- I'm not a fan of how the movement permissions are regions instead of just 16x16 squares. It would be faster to just use 16x16 squares to draw the permissions, like in AdvanceMap.

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
Finally someone with some criticism : D Thanks.

Well, point by point:
------------------------------------------
- Like you said, Game Maker is trash and you should be frowned upon.
Is not as trash as people thinks. It may be a lot slower than other languages, but I think a Pokemon Game can be made with it.

Anyways I cant leave it now, I need it to finish university.

And BTW, Yoyogames just announced a compiler for GM:Studio 1.2, no more interpreter. So... a port is coming for sure.

- The UI is strictly garbage but I think you also know that. Making UIs is actually fairly simple and doesn't require a lot of artistic skills though.
Maybe, but I dont have the time nor want to focus on making it beautiful.
I recall that since its made with GM, I dont have instant functions that makes it look like a windows form. When its completed and it works, I may rework it.

- From what I can see, you can't insert your own tilesets and the interface to select which tile to draw is a little crappy since it's only text.
You cannot insert your own tilesets because, as I've said:
IMPORTANT: The map editor does not draw the maps. You will need external programs, such as Tiled, to do so.
So, that 'text' are not tiles. Is just data for the map, to tell where are the colisions and the other things.

- There doesn't seem to be any flow control methods in the event system such as conditional statements, loops and such. I assume this will be rectified before the full release.
I'm on it. There's already conditional statements, but I didnt think about loops. I'll see what can I do, thanks : D

- I'm not a fan of how the movement permissions are regions instead of just 16x16 squares. It would be faster to just use 16x16 squares to draw the permissions, like in AdvanceMap.
I think I dont get you there. Movement permissions are actually squares. In the map editor you draw big regions but in the end the engine splits it into squares and sets the permissions individually for each tile. So you dont need to place a square on every solid, dragging the mouse is more handy.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
What I meant by regions and stuff is I prefer to draw separate tiles one by one just by holding down left click and drawing rather than having to click, drag to another point then release. You should add both in fact.

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
I improved UI finally.
Checkout the blog.

Oxysoft, this still doesnt reach the level of yours, but I hope you like it more : /

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
Sorry for the triple-post.

I uploaded the first video of the editor. It's a small preview of it.
You can see the basics of how to make a map, but it does not feature in-game engine footage yet.

You may visit the blog to watch it, sorry for asking that again.

Anyway, hope you like it : 3

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
Years
I actually had to use GM to do classwork in my video game design class it halfway sucks tho. Like it would sometimes destroy the game I was working on

Chrisario

Friend code :0018 2912 2366 let me know
Years
Will there be also so the mega evolution I tried it once it did'nt work for me sorry for asking my gml knowledge is limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back