• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Fossils of Unova

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
When you go to the Desert Resort between Nimbasa and Calistia, you might of come across an area where there's a small castle. There, you'll meet up with someone who gives you a chose between a Cover fossil, and a Plume Fossil.

Bag_Cover_Fossil_Sprite.png
564MS.png

The Cover Fossil can be resurrected into a pokemon named Tirtouga, who is a Water and Rock type with a Solid Rock or Sturdy ability. At level 37, it evolves into a Carracosta! Usually they have great defense, but kinda lacks speed and special defense.

Bag_Plume_Fossil_Sprite.png
566MS.png

The Plume Fossil can be resurrected into a pokemon named Archen, who is a Flying and Rock type with an ability called Defeatist that halves it's attack if it's HP is halved. At level 37, it becomes an Archeops! They have great speed and attack, but a little shaky on defense and special defense.

Well now, all that being said, which fossil pokemon from Unova do you remember choosing - or which fossil pokemon from these two is your favourite? Which one do you feel is more useful in battle, and did you use one for your team?

Blayze

Team Magma Co-Leader
Years
I chose the Plume Fossil when I did my play through of White. I just liked the resulting Pokemon more. That and the fact that it is based on the prehistoric critter Archeopteryx.
As for who's better in battle - I'm not sure, I never really used either in any serious battling.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
I chose the cover fossil. I was living for a water type, and then I stumbled upon the cover fossil. I personally love it's design and love how it is in battle.

Tek

Years
I'm a fan of both of these, all around. I bred up an Archeops with Head Smash for online battling, and it deals major damage. Gotta have Roost because of the crap ability. And Ally Switch is useful for when recovery isn't a good option (kind of mean to Archeops though :/).

Haven't used Carracosta yet, though I've thought about it. Probably would put an Assault Vest on it.

Nakala Pri

I chose the Plume fossil! 8D I liked the sound of it better and I kinda prefer Archeops, even though it's ability is pretty crap.

Tirtouga and Carracosta are cool but I don't like going for defensive types. RIP 'EM APART WITH SPEED AND ATTACK!! >:^)

Years
I used Carracosta once in Black, and it was alright for what it had. Although its Speed is low, it can still use Curse or Shell Smash to effective degrees, although Grass-type attacks can slam it I do like that it also has two effective abilities backing it.

I've never used Archeops, though its ability is a deter it does seem like a Pokémon that might prove decent.

Years
I think I actually tried both fossils, and they do hit hard and have their unique traits.

Archeops is fast and hits really hard, but its ability can be a bit of a deterrence at first since going below half HP weakens its attacks, but thankfully it does have some powerful moves to work with, like Acrobatics, Stone Edge, Earthquake and a few more interesting stuff.

Carracosta is more on the physical tank side, and while Grass-types slam it dead it does at least have some nice abilities and is also an effective Shell Smash user. It also has Curse if you want to go a slower, more defensive route but both playstyles can make it into a potent attacker.

TheUnit684

Heedrim
Years
In my first playthrough I chose the cover fossil and, therefore, the turtle. I actually really like both of these fossils. I definitely prefer the turtle, however. I'm more fond of Archeops design, BUT, Defeatist just kills him for me. I wish he had a normal ability instead of that, I just don't get it. But the turtle is reliable in a fight, and I really like his design as well. I think the turtle is more useful, but Archeops is more fun. :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2018
On my first playthrough, in which I had next-to-no knowledge of the Pokémon of Unova, I picked the cover fossil. This was the right choice: Titouga is a cutie! I've got nothing against the design of Archeops, but it just can't measure up. I've never used that Plume line either, after discovering the ability - there doesn't seem to be any need for it, and doesn't really make it a viable option for me.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
In my first run of Black, I had chosen Plume Fossil. I was planning to go with Tirtouga, to be honest, but unfortunately, I wasn't precisely sure as to what its fossil name was, so I wound up choosing the wrong option. However, I wasn't quite disappointed with the Pokémon that has generated from it--Archen.

I've kept Archen on my team for a while, and had eventually evolved it into Archeops. It seemed to have been a valuable team-member, frankly, leading me into liking the Pokémon more and more. Eventually, I found myself becoming a better fan.

Though, I do still like Carracosta line slightly more than Archeops. To me, its design seems to be more natural than anything, which is one aspect as to what makes me fond of this particular Pokémon. On top of this, it's also generally easier to utilize when battling and whatnot, as it has more of an optimized overall stats as well as access to better range of moves.

blue

gucci
Years
Both are equally interesting, although I do think the stat unbalance is a little unfair. I prefer Archen to Tirtouga though.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
I went with the Cover Fossil, no questions asked. I absoulutely adore Tirtouga and Carracosta, not to mention that they're really fun to use in battle! While Carracosta isn't exactly competitively viable, I still used one in my in-game team. Unfortunately, I was never really the biggest fan of Archen/Archeops, so I can't really speak for them. All I know is that both Carracosta and Archeops are in the NU tier (as of X/Y, anyway), so I guess it would be all up to personal preferences.

Years
As Revise said, neither shine well competitively but they are both quite powerful as far as ingame runs are concerned. I feel like this was the generation where the fossils started getting really good, both in looks and power.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I prefer the Plume Fossil myself. However, from the evolved Archen's ability, I usually side with Cover Fossil and Tirtouga, haha. I like Tirtouga because it gets Study + Shell Smash, a really nice combination!

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
I've done a couple runs, having chosen each one once and i have to say that i definitely preferred Tirtouga and the Cover Fossil. With there not being that many great water types (in my eyes, im very picky about that type) Tirtouga was a great option to me and with the rock typing, it was a little sturdier against those electric attacks than a pure water type. Design-wise as well, I thought Tirtouga and Carracosta were more appealing than the Archen and Archeops

Years
I chose the Cover Fossil in my Black Playthrough.
Tirtouga looks more appealing in my eyes than Archen but I do like Archen's line.
Unfortunately, I have never used either of the Pokemon so I don't have much experience of their battle style. However, Carracosta seems more useful with its access to three abilities (Sturdy, Solid Rock, and Swift Swim) compared to Archeops's one.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
I've picked both due to having 3 of the 5th gen games already, but I far perfer Tirtouga. It is based on an unreleased Gold/Silver Pokemon, and I was quite glad to see it become an official Pokemon after all those years :D
I never used them but hoping to fit Tirtouga on my team when I get Black 2 soon :)

Back