• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bronies

Years
So we are in a thread referring to bronies, which is a unisex term, but discussion ensues regarding male bronies and not female bronies. The critique of grown men being immature should only be directed toward males? Mlp being something originally intended for young girls is true; however, not adult women, yet there is little commentary/critique regarding maturity of men. Is immaturity something that is inherently feminine? That is the implication I am getting from some of the critiques.

Immaturity is a socially-constructed term, along with gender norms (ie. smoking cigars and drinking is considered mature alongside being thoughtful and hardworking). Sense the ambivalence there?

I think for some mlp is a way of escapism, like pokemon, music, movies, and film that portray themes that are not ordinarily found in our day-to-day lives.

Pentenshi

i am nothing and nothing is me
Years
Sooooooooo if I'm reading this right, you're basically saying that no one should deviate from traditional societal norms because it makes conformists uncomfortable?

That's not something I can really agree with.....

sry my friend but youve got the wrong picture. i think you should read it again i didn't say that no one should but what i really said is that it can be a bit selfish to do so you must consider what u are doing before you do it

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
sry my friend but youve got the wrong picture. i think you should read it again i didn't say that no one should but what i really said is that it can be a bit selfish to do so you must consider what u are doing before you do it

despite being the thread creator I'm relatively indifferent to the brony argument itself so I'm gonna query you on this matter instead
what exactly is selfish about defying gender norms?

Pentenshi

i am nothing and nothing is me
Years
despite being the thread creator I'm relatively indifferent to the brony argument itself so I'm gonna query you on this matter instead
what exactly is selfish about defying gender norms?

well u see when i said selfish, i meant as in it brings a bit of shame to other men living alongside them but its nothing major its just that this is something bronies might want to consider and its one reason why people hate bronies so much.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
well u see when i said selfish, i meant as in it brings a bit of shame to other men living alongside them but its nothing major its just that this is something bronies might want to consider and its one reason why people hate bronies so much.

those who feel shame over a person either exploring their gender or exploring attributes not typically assigned to their gender (though those attributes are bullshit anyway) are fickle
why should a man's insecurity be the deciding factor in whether someone decides to do something or not?

anyway, just so I make sure that it doesn't seem like I'm playing devil's advocate

I don't care that a grown man is engaging in something feminine, what I find questionable is the fact that My Little Pony is undoubtedly directed at relatively young children and marketed at them
the presence of 20-something and up men in an area created specifically for little girls is what troubles me
for the sake of saying it I'm gonna say 'Not All Bronies' but you get what I mean
I think the difference between comparing the Pokémon fanbase to Bronies is that older players of all ages and genders are actively encouraged and welcomed by the creators of the franchise and have marketed products towards them and what not
whereas Lauren Faust (the creator of this series of MLP) has actively stated her loathing of bronies and there are no products marketed towards bronies, despite their, uh, pleas

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
I don't mind bronies, I try and treat them like any other fandom. I do get weirded out by the creepy ones though. I do find it too cute and happy sometimes, even for moé standards but hey, I'm more of an Anime type of guy.

Years
I too think the comparison between Pokemon and MLP is flawed, the main reason being that a sizeable portion of the adult community playing Pokemon on those who grew up with it. It's kind of like how those old shows/movies/music stay with you even though they were targeted to a younger audience. Also, Pokemon is a game, and is consequently much more interactive. People can be drawn towards the guts and the complexity of the interactions, which is responsible for competitive battlers. I don't think the mechanics of the game are childish or could be targeted at any age group at all.

I think a lot of the MLP fandom is just hype and "in" and that's what gives some of its members the cojones to be all elitist and rude to others. Everybody wants to feel special and ironic and what's more ironic than 20-year-old dudes being into a kids show for girls?

Years
i personally don't see the appeal, but if it tickles your fancy it's not my business to tell you it's right or wrong.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 3, 2018
Every community/fandom has it's weird/dark etc members and such.
I am a brony, but just a brony artist, I used to watch the show and that's pretty much it.

I don't have a bad opinion on the community as a whole.
Only on the ones who are spoiling the fandom and making the others look bad bc of them.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
Years
I used to be a former brony. I cringe at it every time I think of it.

It's not that the show itself is bad (although it did go awful after Lauren stepped back, it's the fact that the brony fandom itself is so fucking zealous and ready to defend itself after people mention the fact that you are, you know, watching a show that's aimed at little girls (forget what Lauren said - she doesn't have control over it anymore). You like it? Cool. You don't need to make it your fucking identity though.

Not to mention the massive amount of neckbeards that like the show - it's the same reason why I don't like weebs. There's a goddamn crapton of people that like MLP, anime and other shit who are arrogant as fuck, pseudo-intellectual, and overall a major pain in the ass who are all over it. That, along with the show going from a surprising 7.5/10 to a 2/10 by Season 3 is what put me off in the first place.

Also, no one needs to know about how much you love a fictional horse or if you want to fuck it. Goddammit.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 14, 2016
I used to be a former brony. I cringe at it every time I think of it.

It's not that the show itself is bad (although it did go awful after Lauren stepped back, it's the fact that the brony fandom itself is so ****ing zealous and ready to defend itself after people mention the fact that you are, you know, watching a show that's aimed at little girls (forget what Lauren said - she doesn't have control over it anymore). You like it? Cool. You don't need to make it your ****ing identity though.

Not to mention the massive amount of neckbeards that like the show - it's the same reason why I don't like weebs. There's a goddamn crapton of people that like MLP, anime and other **** who are arrogant as ****, pseudo-intellectual, and overall a major pain in the ass who are all over it. That, along with the show going from a surprising 7.5/10 to a 2/10 by Season 3 is what put me off in the first place.

Also, no one needs to know about how much you love a fictional horse or if you want to **** it. Goddammit.
You sound a bit angry but you're on the right path - you're still a little too young to state such an opinion (and ironically enough, say the same thing 5 years later and people will call you infantile) but you're doing great regardless. Keep hatin'.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
I think it's an undeniable fact that it is weird to like the show if you're anywhere over 10 years old. I feel like most bronies would concur and admit that it's weird, otherwise they're just in denial.

I also have a hard time believing that anybody over 10 actually enjoys the show & that they're not just joking about liking it.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
Years
You sound a bit angry but you're on the right path - you're still a little too young to state such an opinion (and ironically enough, say the same thing 5 years later and people will call you infantile) but you're doing great regardless. Keep hatin'.

To be honest? Nah, I'm not too young. I met and talked to a great amount of bronies when I was one and at least 40% of them were your textbook neckbeard. When you put up with shit like that, it doesn't matter what age you are, it's as horrible regardless. But yeah, cheers dude.

Back