• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
How many/which of your characters can drive? If so, would you trust them behind the wheel?
None of the main characters of The Quest for the Legends can drive, since they're all too young. Not that I think cars have ever been mentioned in that fic.

In Morphic, basically the adults can drive and the kids can't. Mia and Katherine are of mental age to get a license, so Dave could probably argue them into some driving classes in that respect, but Katherine would have difficulty holding the wheel properly, and if I were a driving tutor I would stay far away from Mia. Not that she is very interested in driving. She likes Dave's car too much.

As for trusting them behind the wheel, well, I'd definitely trust Howard, and while Brian could make nervous mistakes, I'd trust him to be reasonably careful. Dave is more dubious, though I wouldn't refuse to get into a car with him (my boyfriend's friends can be pretty crazy drivers).

Canon or original: which kind of character do you like to write most about? How about read? Okay, then why for each?
I prefer original characters; I've never gotten into the canon character kind of fanfiction. Well, until recently, with all these Phoenix Wright fic-ideas I've been toying with. I've read a couple of really good fics about canon characters in other fandoms, but what with most of it being shipping (which I'm generally not interested in), there's not a lot of them. In the Pokémon fandom, I just don't think any of the canon characters are really interesting enough for me to feel any particular desire to write or read about them.

Bay

Years
How many/which of your characters can drive? If so, would you trust them behind the wheel?
There's one scene in NE in which one of the officers drive (forgot if it's either Lucas or Timmy...^^; ). Heck, those two officers were driving while watching a sky high Pokemon battle (in which Timmy is one of the people commanding his Pokemon). XD

Canon or original: which kind of character do you like to write most about? How about read? Okay, then why for each?\
Writing, definitely original as I'm more free able to create their personalities and how they would react to situations. If canon, I would have to think harder about that.

In NE, I have Officer Jenny, but she's easy since in the anime there's quite a lot of them and each have their own personality for the most part. Other fics I have canon characters are "Rid of Scarlet Letter" and "She Just Smiles." "She Just Smiles" I actually felt weird writing it after I finished the one shot cause I wasn't sure if I did Cyrus right. ._.

There was then this Naruto one shot I tried to do that's based off from the third season of the second series, but urgh...I think I totally butchered one of the characters. The problem is in the series he's portrayed as an antagonist, but his son really loves him and want to avenge him (the son thought he was dead). The hard part is how should I portray the character- antagonist, protagonist, a little of both? -_- Not only that, think I got the timeline wrong too. >.> Eventually though I quit that story and went ahead with another one shot that I'm more comfortable getting the character right.

Reading, I like both. Regarding to canon characters, as long as the characters are portrayed right and the premise interesting, then I'm cool. But yeah, too bad most of the stories that featured canon characters are shipping ones. Yeah, not big on romance for a lot of reasons. =O

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
Hmm... Well, I haven't posted in this thread for several months, so hopefully its purpose hasn't changed much since then.

First off, I was just wondering this: How often do people use either Latias or Latios used in fics?

I know there are quite a few fics out there that have them in them, but I was wondering how common they really were.

Also, I was wondering if anyone would feel bad if I had fake evos of them in at least two of my fics.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/HuntsmanSkunk/Beyi-geyi.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/HuntsmanSkunk/Leyi-geyi.jpg

Freaky names, yeah, but they're probably better than anything else I tried to use for them. Anyways, I really wanted an opinion from someone before I went and used them. These two are, supposedly, entities that surpass all others in reality (kind of uber beings that no one in Poke World knows about except assumingly Arceus and another beast said to lord over all consciousnesses, even Arceus's). Maybe I'm working with too hard of concept, or just too wierd of one, but I was just wondering what at least someone thinks about it.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
How often do people use either Latias or Latios used in fics?

I know of three people besides myself that prominently use them, so quite a few probably.

As for the evos, I don't mind at all (I myself have made pre-evos for them, but they're not in my fics). I'm kind of wondering why said evos are steel/ghost when the Latis are dragon/psychic, but I suppose if you can justify that it's fine.

The concept you detailed is kind of weird, though. If it's built up enough, and you have good reasons for everything (like why you need a being more powerful than Arceus), then it could work. It's ultimately up to how you go about it.

Last edited:

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023

I don't use them prominently, but I do plan to have them appearing in a chapter or two of Operation Main Frame.

If you could have a soundtrack for your fan fic(s), what would be on it?

I'd just steal the entire Day of the Dead soundtrack for all of my fics. It manages to make the right atmosphere, filled with suspense and horror.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

To give you an idea, I cheated and abused FFNet's filter system. For Latias, there were three fics. Same with Latios. (None of them were the same.) Other than that, you've got yourself, txt, the three other people, and one person I knew from an old board. Despite the fact that Latias and Latios tend to be popular (as in, I know a ton of people that list one, the other, or both on their top ten), I just don't come across a lot of fic about them. So, I think you're fine, really.

Also, I was wondering if anyone would feel bad if I had fake evos of them in at least two of my fics.

To be honest, what you do is none of my concern, but I never particularly liked the idea of giving fan-created evolutions to legendaries. (Trust me. You're not the only one who thought of that. *motions to the rumors back in RBY that Mew could evolve* Not saying you're being uncreative. Just saying I'm not focusing on your idea.) The reason why isn't so much because of what people include for the "criteria" of what is and isn't a legendary as it is because of what the term implies. The term "legendary" implies that they're essentially gods -- that they really can't become anything better than what they already are because they're superior in mystical power than any other Pokémon. To give an evolution to a canon legendary feels almost as if you're taking the base form down a peg. Basically, it's like saying they're not gods or the pinnacle of what Pokémon can be.

Adding to this comes the question that txt brought up about the typing. The concepts themselves are interesting, and I suppose by having the evolutionary forms surpass all reality, you sort of circumvent the problem I mentioned above. Still, it feels like these aren't related to their base forms. Perhaps you'll come up with some explanation that clears this up?

I tend to make playlists for my longer fics that essentially includes a list of songs that I'd imagine would be on the soundtrack or would otherwise inspire the fic.

Midsummer Knights' soundtrack is currently going through a reworking. I don't remember why half of it is on here. Still, the ones that are remaining are arranged as follows:

"South Side" - Mobi and Gwen Stefani
"Ghetto Supastar" - Pras
"Du Hast" - Rammstein
"Take Me Away (Into the Night)" - 4 Strings
"Glorious" - Andreas Johnson
"Kiss From a Rose" - Seal
"Where Is the Love?" - Black-Eyed Peas
"Canto Alla Vita" - Josh Groban
"Sailiro" - Daniele Silvestri

Basically, a lot of rap, hip-hop, techno, industrial... that sort of thing. (Except, apparently, the Seal song.) With splashes of Italian music here and there, just because. It's a very gritty sort of fic, and it really deserves a gritty album, filled with stuff you'd expect to hear in a place like Illyria.

AEM gets more of a metal and rock album, mixed in with WTF soft songs, just because it's halfway between a serious dark fic and a parody of sci-fi B-movies. It, unlike Midsummer Knights' soundtrack, is basically complete and goes as follows:

"Through the Fire and Flames" - DragonForce (Yes, I know it's a very silly song.)
"Love Is War" - Hatsune Miko
"Mouth" - Bush
"Animal I Have Become" - Three Days Grace
"Masaki no Toudai" - Pokémon OST
"Holiday" - The Birthday Massacre
"Tonight, Tonight" - Smashing Pumpkins
"Shinjitsu no Hana" - Nightmare
"Canon Rock" - funtwo
"A Last Illusion" - Trans-Siberian Orchestra
"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (I swear, this has a significance in the fic.)
"Mr. Blue Sky" - ELO

I don't often like to use songs that I know were either made for or have been on other soundtracks, mostly because I feel like it's not as creative as trying to assemble completely unrelated songs into a playlist that vaguely tells the story. (I have too much time on my hands.)

And yes, I rec all of those songs, obviously. And yes, these soundtracks do include what I'd also imagine to be the opening and closing. Because I have no life. Apologies for the long-as-eff post.

Blue Screen of Death

Wait, what?
Years
Yay! I'm back! Anyways...

Probably most of the music in my library. But one I am certain of is "Airbased" By The Chikusho sound team on OCremix. That one is one of my favorite songs. And maybe The Time Warp, just to be funny.

Oh, and

What are your characters favorite food(s)?

And if that wasn't enough...

What would your characters wish for if they found a genie?

txteclipse

The Last
Years

I'd probably go original for the Eon Chronicles. Lots and lots of piano, with a smattering of strings. Maybe the London Philharmonic Orchestra could get involved.

Mastermind would be tons of hardcore trance and Imogen Heap. /lolwtf

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I haven't used them, mostly because I can't think of a place in my fic's plot that they would fit in.

Most late '80's and early '90's soft pop. The sappy love songs, mostly. Lisa sings such songs numerous times and there are two important scenes in my fic that are directly based on two of those songs.

Lisa likes burger, fries, fried shrimp, fried chicken - lotta greasy stuff. She's especially fond of restaurant food.

What would your characters wish for if they found a genie?
Lisa would want either a 1975 Buick LeSabre convertible or 1953 Buick Roadmaster to add to her budding car collection. And a new computer with the latest in computing software (Mathematica, Maple, etc.)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

Midsummer Knights
Viola: If I haven't mentioned it before, it's eggs. Anything with eggs. Scrambled, fried, omelet. Eggs.
Sebastian: Lemon chicken. Preferably made by Imogen.
Imogen: Chicken curry.
Mercury and her lot: Does beer count? If not, diner food. Burgers, fries, onion rings, coffee, that kind of thing.
The Trio: Orsino loves most cheeses, Olivia loves mushrooms for some reason, and Cesario doesn't care as long as someone else is paying.

AEM
Rose: Strawberry shortcake. Most kinds of cake, really, as well as strawberries, but strawberry shortcake just unites her two favorite foods into one dish.
Veronica (the character formerly known as Heather): Beer. Curry. Really, any kind of curry.
Nettle: Sandwiches, really. And she's also very fond of fish, particularly smoked salmon.
Bill: (Hey, it's never stated, so I can make this crap up if I want, right?) Noodles. Particularly yakisoba.

And on the flipside:

What are your characters' LEAST favorite foods?

Also, while we're talking about TMI for our characters...

Do you think much about giving your characters starsigns? If so, which ones are they born under?

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
Years
I've got a fanfic! It's about an Agent in Kanto, & he has to raise a team like trainers would, but he dosen't do the Gyms or Eleite 4...

Where would I post it?

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
Oh, dear gawd. These questions keep piling up if you spend a second away...

I'm seconding Xanthine here. I really don't like the idea of fan-made evos for legendaries. Generally, I don't like the idea of evolving legendaries in the first place. If not for any other reasons, then because evolution doesn't fit into my image of legendary Pokémon. None of them evolve in canon, at least partially because of the reasons Xanthine mentioned.

Also, your concept of uttely superior, mega rare and ultimately unknown Pokémon and a deity surpassing even Arceus makes me a bit puzzled. It does sound interesting, but there's something very marysue-ish about your evos for Lati@s. Their type combination is a rare one, they're very strong and very unknown... Don't push it, okay? It can become severely uncredible.

However, it can also be very credible. You just have to think the concept over and make sure there's nothing there that could make people go "Aww, come on, that's too much!"

Uh-oh, this is a tough one. I also keep a playlist playing when I write, but the songs on that list are mostly background music from games or songs I've heard a million times. Otherwise, I'll start concentrating on the song and it messes up my train of thought.

Generally I let Winamp play whatever it feels like playing, but for some scenes, I pick some certain song. Those are often sad pieces, because that's probably the hardest mood for me to set myself in when writing. Enthusiasm, happiness, anger and all that comes very easily, but I need some warming-up before I can write sad scenes. I don't have very much of those, though, so I don't do that very often.

So, no particular soundtrack. I could make one if I wanted to, though.

What are your characters' LEAST favorite foods?

For Jack, his favourite foods are ice cream and carrot soup. Carrot soup was his father's favourite food, so his mother kind of unknowingly taught him to love it as well.
Jack hates porridge. Expecially the kind his mother makes for breakfast.

April loves porridge. She thinks it's the most clever kind of food ever invented: it's cheap, it's easy to make, it tastes good and is healthy.
April dislikes red peppers. The taste is too strong for her.

Cimi loves cakes and cupcakes and ice cream and brownies and cookies and... Anything sweet, basically. She can eat a mountain of sweet stuff. Other than those, she doesn't have any particular favorites. Cimi eats anything and enjoys it.
...Except for olives. She hates olives from the bottom of her heart.

Adan enjoys a lot of different kind of foods, but he loves the minced meat patties his dad makes from scratch above everything else.
He can't stand foods with curry in them even though he used to love them, because it was after eating curry that his mother's cancer was noticed. He hasn't admitted it to himself, but he's still gravely scared of curry foods.

Do you think much about giving your characters starsigns? If so, which ones are they born under?

Uh, no, but some of my characters had birthdays so they'd have signs, too, right? Unfortunately, I can't remember any of their birthdays, so I figure it isn't very important. I don't see any specific reason to give them starsigns. Thus, they don't have any.
...If they did have, though, Adan and Jack would definitely have been born around the same time of year. Those two are very similar to each other. Maybe it's partially because they're neighbours (yeah, I like to cross my fics like that) and thus Jack grew up admiring Adan, but it could also be because they're both born under the same stars! Ooh, what a revelation!

How much of your own characteristics and habits do you put in your characters, most importantly the protagonist(s)? How so?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
can someone give me some tips on writting a Rayearth fic

Well, writing fanfiction for any fandom has the same basic concepts attached to them. Make sure you know and understand the canon well, stay within the laws of the canon's universe (no defying gravity, for example), and remember the basics of writing. If that doesn't cover it, what kind of help do you need?

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
Years
How much of your own characteristics and habits do you put in your characters, most importantly the protagonist(s)? How so?

I split my personality into sections and each section contributes to one of the characters.

For example:

One person will have my ego but will also have my shyness.

Another person will have my short temper but also have my annoying tendency to care about little children I don't know.

Another person might have my utterly heartless look at others and my drive (that really only exists so I don't have to face my Dad's "do better in school" speech)

These are simply examples of possibilities.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
If you had a soundtrack for your fics, what would be on it?

I'd probably just grab a pirated copy of the soundtrack of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and use that.

No, seriously, listen to the GL score sometime. There's enough musical diversity in there for any adventure story to get a whole lot of use out of it. Plus it gets credit for Libera me from Hell, the greatest fusion of opera and rap. 0.o

All of my protagonists, to an extent, represent some facet of my personality, but never directly. I'll overplay or downplay certain personality traits, or simply let the character dictate their own personality. Gale from Thief in the Night is basically my own immaturity personified, but I think he's also pretty heavily influenced by Kir from Jing: King of Bandits in terms of his general greed and obsessive thrill-seeking. To contrast, Augustus the Pidgeot is more of a down-to-earth, common-sense character who serves as Gale's common sense but also deep down really likes the guy and enjoys the wild ride that anyone who spends time with Gale gets caught up into on at least one level. He's also got a barely disguised pride in not being human, as well as a certain lack of understanding of certain basic human concepts, though as a whole he finds humans more or less amusing. That aspect of his character is probably inspired by Hobbes from Calvin and Hobbes, my favorite comic strip. Actually, the only times when my characters are directly influenced by my personality is when I first create them. As they develop, they sometimes move farther and farther away from what I have planned for them, so much so that I'll change what I want to do with them. Thief in the Night has undergone at least three overhauls because Gale's character kept saying 'I'd rather do this than what the script says it wants me to do'.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

Very little to none at all. The one character who resembles me the most, I think, is probably Viola in that she's shy, quiet, goes with whatever her friends think would be cool, but really, really would rather be her own person. On the other hand, I really don't like to think she's a self-insert (because she'd be rather boring to write if she was), and she's certainly more submissive than I am.

Other than that, Mercury has my perverted sense of humor, Imogen has my liking for giving advice (even when no one's listening or she has no idea what she's talking about), Veronica has my awkwardness, and Nettle has my ***** tendencies.

But really, I like to base my characters off other people and the random characters I think I need. The reason why is because it makes me feel really awkward if I take a look at my characters and can recognize them as me. *shrug*

DGexe

Taunter
Years

Purposely? Maybe one or two traits. The prodominate one for one of my favorite characters seems to be a childish personality-- although I'm personally not as gung-ho and childish anymore, I am... well, still the "gung-ho" aspect.

Also there's a cynical trait in one of my other characters (I believe this may be Depth Perception's Lauren, although I could be wrong there; I have not looked over the fic in a while. Poor thing). Aside from that, not a lot of my chars share my traits. Just... two or three, I think?

However, I do know of one character who is like a copy of myself... and when I read her character profile (because she's an rp character and not a fic one), I cringe a little on the inside. o_x;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back