• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Sinnoh starters!

Which Sinnoh starter did you pick?

• Turtwig

Votes: 39 26.7%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 60 41.1%
  • Piplup

Votes: 62 42.5%

• Total voters
Years
Well in my first playthrough of Pokemon Pearl I chose Piplup which was probably my best starter I ever had! But then again I might be saying that since Pearl was the first Pokemon game I played. Then in Pokemon Platinum I got Turtwig which I actually liked... till it evolved into Torterra then its speed was as good as a baby crawling.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
As I've stated in other threads, I always seem to have tendency to choose fire-type starter when going through a game for the first time. Due to that, in my first ever play-through of Pokémon Diamond version, I wound up selecting Chimchar.

Chimchar was a decent choice, I'd say; it was certainly able to impress! I wasn't quite fond of its middle-stage evolution form, unfortunately (which was mostly due to its design), but its final one, Infernape, was definitely a-OK, at least by me. It had good Speed stat and offenses, and access to some great attacks to put icing on the cake

In my second run, it was Piplup. Dawn had it in anime, so I thought I'd try things out in her shoes (anime and games aren't precisely related, I understand, but still) and see how things are like to be utilizing this Pokémon. Similarly to above, it wasn't bad. As for third play-through, I selected Turtwig.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I used Chimchar in Pearl. Although I like all three of the designs of the final stages, I am most fond of Infernape. It's fast and offensive, so it's perfect for my gameplay style. Its Fire/Fighting typing made a lot more sense than with Blaziken. I used Turtwig and Piplup in other playthroughs with mixed results. I don't prefer defensive Pokemon during the story mode. I can appreciate their gained second typings, though.

It's kind of ironic as I started with the Squirtle in Blue and my twin brother started with Charmander in Red. I started with Chimchar in Pearl and he started with Piplup in Diamond. Sinnoh is also the last generation of Pokemon that he played alongside me...

pvnk-as-fvck

depressed little mess
Years
I picked Piplup since water types were my favourite type of Pokémon at the time.
I wasn't very impressed with her however-the second type she gained *steel* after evolving once made me extremely angry.
Against grass, electric, ground, & fighting types I was whimpering like a dog with its tail between its legs.
Overall, she was just a terrible Pokémon. Her speed was terrible along with her defense.
Her attack wasn't too bad though.

After playing through the game once I restarted & played with Chimchar.
He was much better than the Piplup I'd used before. His second type was nice-except for when I was fighting psychic & flying types.
Although he didn't have as many weaknesses as Empoleon-psychic, flying, & water, I still didn't like him very much.
His stats overall were pretty good, his defense could've been better. I loved how high his speed stat was.
His first evolution was also very helpful with the first gym.

Once I defeated the game once again, I restarted & picked Turtwig.
As much as I despise grass types, he was the best starter out of all three.
His design was cute when he was a little baby, but once he was to his final evolution he looked terrifying.
I mean, a tree on his back? No thank you.
His defense & attack were amazing. His speed could've been better, but I mean, c'mon.
He seemed to do a lot better to types he was weak against-flying, steel, fighting, fire, & ice.
Although I dislike grass Pokémon very much, he was the best starter to go though the game with.

Years
As I said in the other starter thread, grass is my favorite type, thus I always choose Turtwig first, however I think Chimchar and Piplup are far cuter. Honestly, grass always gets the short end of the stick... Except in the case of Bulbasaur =)

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I've always liked Chimchar and its line for the fighting/fire combination--it's a typing I'm quite fond of.
However, there's just something about Piplup that I really like. Maybe because it's cute?

And I've never been fond of grass types, so I don't really like Turtwig, even if Torterra's awesome.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Piplup. because i really like its final evolution

As I said in the other starter thread, grass is my favorite type, thus I always choose Turtwig first, however I think Chimchar and Piplup are far cuter. Honestly, grass always gets the short end of the stick... Except in the case of Bulbasaur =)

And Chikorita. Chikorita was actually the cutest out of the other two.

Last edited:

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Hm, when I've played Pokémon Pearl for the first time, I chose Turtwig as my starter pokemon~

I thought it was a pretty cute pokemon, and its defense was pretty good! As it evolved, yes, it became a little bit on the slow side, but, it's defense more than make up for that anyway. Gym battles weren't that bad when I used it either! Things became a little tricky over at the Snowpoint gym though, because Torterra is 4x weak to Ice type moves, and so, I had to use a little bit of strategy, but no problem. In the end, it was pretty effective against Cynthia's Garchomp as it took its. I took a while to beat her, but, success!

When I played Pokémon Platinum more and more, I used Chimchar more often. That was around when I started to like pokemon like Gastrodon, Roserade, and Togekiss, in which, I don't really like out have pokemon of the same type in my team, so, Chimchar was a pretty good pick for that! It wasn't too bad either; it was way fast, and pretty powerful when It evolved to Infernape! <33

kyuubi93

What a bother
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 24, 2018
While I personally love using all three, my favorite to pick in my Sinnoh runs is Turtwig. I love how it learns Earthquake when it evolves from Grotle to Torterra. Plus, it lets me put my favorite fire Pokemon, Rapidash on my team since I don't have Infernape.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
The first time I played I picked Chimchar. Ever since I picked charmander and cyndaquil as my first starters, I'd always been biased to start with a fire starter - that ended when 5th gen came around and I chose Oshawott instead. Thought it was even more awesome after it evolved into Monferno and Infernape so I constantly chose Chimchar. I never played R/S/E so I never got to experience having a Fire/Fighting starter.

I love both Piplup and Turtwig, but if I didn't choose chimchar, I'd probably would have chosen the Piplup especially with Empoleon being pretty badass.

Years
I chose Chimchar. I figured that all Fire-type starters suit me, and I wasn't wrong.
The three starters in this region are only second favourite for me after either Kanto or Hoenn, I can't seem to decide.
Their secondary types are pretty cool if you think about it. They never had all the starters gaining another type in the previous generations, so it was a nice surprise to discover this.

Oh, and if I wouldn't have picked Chimchar, I would have picked Turtwig. I really hate Piplup and it's evolution line.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Back then, when I played Platinum, I chose Chimchar, and I begin to like it much more when it evolved, because I really liked the designs of Infernape, with Chinese-influenced accent in it. Besides, it becomes much more powerful with Flare Blitz among one of its moves.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
I'm usually loyal to Grass-types, so I picked Turtwig in all of my playthroughs without hesitation.

In addition, Torterra happens to be on my massive list of favorite Pokémon, because I love its design and its unique type combination.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 1, 2015
Chimchar was the one I picked, because it evolves into Infernape, probably one of my top 20 pokemon. Empoleon was still bada**.

Guest123123

The first two rival battles were annoying, because Turtwig is very defensive and has Withdraw. Gardenia was almost impossible in Platinum. Other than that, though, I don't think I had too many problems using it.

avvii

Mew
Years
I picked piplup.

I did this because it is my favourite pokemon. I haven't really tried other starters. I always just picked a set of my favorite pokemon and used them as a team. Empoleon wasn't bad. It had nice offense and alright defense and what I did for the speed was give it quick claw and made it have aqua jet. As a result it wasn't slow all the the. And its still typing made it better against grass types. But whether or not it was the weakest, o would a picked it cause it is one of my favourites.

I picked piplup.

I did this because it is my favourite pokemon. I haven't really tried other starters. I always just picked a set of my favorite pokemon and used them as a team. Empoleon wasn't bad. It had nice offense and alright defense and what I did for the speed was give it quick claw and made it have aqua jet. As a result it wasn't slow all the the. And its still typing made it better against grass types. But whether or not it was the weakest, o would a picked it cause it is one of my favourites.

Years
Piplup user here. It's super adorable and water/steel is a very unique typing even now so I absolutely couldn't resist.. wasn't a fan of the Turtwig or Chimchar line so I went with Piplup pretty much all the time. Tried out the other two in later playthroughs but I never did finish the story with Turtwig and hardly remember Chimchar's line, though it was very useful.

Back