• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

3rd Gen Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald?

Which is your favorite?

• Total voters

satotaku

Generation 1's last hope
Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
None of the above, generation 3 was a definite slump.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Emerald, like someone else said, they took what was good in RS and made it that little bit better.

Years
Ruby because it was the one my friend bought for me after I just got a GBA. I like emerald but I have more of a sentimental feeling towards my beautiful red cartridge with Groudon. I need to go back and buy those to play outside of my ROM ones on my phone.

QuickSilveri

Veteran
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
Its getting redundant, but Emerald was amazing. It greatly improved upon R/S's flaws and added the BF. The general opinion, but a good opinion at that.

Regards, Chris

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
Considering that Emerald has everything Ruby/Sapphire has and more (tougher battles, being able to fight both aqua and magma, and of course the battle frontier) it's definitely the best one of the three.

Years
Emerald for sure, I played all three and i loved having to go through the two different bases, not to mention the countless hours in the battle frontier. Also the breeding mechanics specifically the everstone for natures was a nice change too.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Tied between Sapphire and Emerald, but I went with Emerald simply because it has more features over Sapphire, like the Battle Frontier.

Evey

Female Red
Years
In my opinion, they are all equal. Ruby is good if you want a simpler version of hoenn, hate team magma, and like groudons. Sapphire is good if you also want a simpler version of hoenn, hate team aqua, and like kyogres. Emerald is good if you like extras, the battle frontier, and rayquazas. However, if you like Fire-Type Pokemon as myself DON'T CHOOSE Sapphire or Emerald. It will set you up for failure! One reason being that in Sapphire you are going up against an orgamization filled with Water-Types and that you will be facing a Kyogure. In Pokemon Emerald it is bad until oh I don't know....you face the Champion, Wallace, lover of all things water. Steven Stone makes a much better opponent if you like fire-types. In all three games though, they set fire-starters up for failure. Even in Ruby when you go up against Team Magma you don't have much of an advantage. All in all the games are pretty much equal. It just has to do with personal preference truly.

Years
  • Seen Feb 20, 2013
I only had emerald , but i thought they where all the same just different pokemon (i thought emerald had them all though) if this is true then emerald.

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
Emerald is easily my favorite. The only possible way Ruby or Sapphire can outclass Emerald is due to nostalgia.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I like Sapphire. Even though Ruby was the first Pokémon game I had ever played, Kyogre and the eternal rain was better than the other. I had finished it like, a twelve times or something. Later on I got Emerald, but I'll still hang on to Sapphire for the intense nostalgia.

mikey

Discord Lead
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I own all three, and love all three, but I think Emerald would be my favorite. Emerald introduced a lot of new cool enhancements from Sapphire and Ruby, including bringing back my favorite aspect, the Pokemon animations last seen in Crystal. Also, both Magma and Aqua were in it, which made the game instantly more fun!

jaydezzal

Sarcastic Guy
Years
I'd say Emerald for the Battle Frontier alone.

Now I could go on about why I like Emerald the most, but instead I'm going to say why I don't like the others as much.

One reason is the version exclusives. In most games, I feel like I'm really missing something. For example, out of FireRed and LeafGreen, I prefer the exclusives in LeafGreen, but I still feel like I'm missing out on some of my favourites like Golduck and Cloyster. When I play Ruby or Sapphire I don't feel like I'm missing much at all. However in Emerald, I feel like I'm missing out on Medicham and Roselia, which are two Pokemon I'm rather fond of.

Second is how the games just stop after the Elite 4. This was acceptable in Red and Blue, but not Third Gen. I mean come on Second Gen gave us the chance to re-explore Kanto, plus battle Red, the strongest trainer of all. FireRed and LeafGreen had the Sevii Isles plus the revamped Pokemon League. In Ruby and Sapphire, all you get is the Battle Tower and Sky Pillar.

Lastly, is the stories all feel like the same thing. It's kind of hard to describe, but to me it kind of feels like Emerald's the book and Ruby and Sapphire are the movie. They tell the same story, but Emerald is MORE the story. Ruby and Sapphire feel like Emerald with cut corners. It'd be like in the book(Emerald) Wallace is the supposed last challenge, but the Steven comes along bigger and stronger. So in the movie(Ruby and Sapphire) - to save on time - they made Wallace the last Gym Leader (which is LIKE the last challenge), but the you get to the Pokemon League and there's Steven, still the last hurdle. Also in Emerald the whole Team Aqua/Team Magma thing in more complete. I doubt this is making any sense, but basically to me it feels like Ruby and Sapphire are the movie to Emerald's book.

Demon Days

Element of Magic
Years
Emerald, mostly because it was my first Pokémon game, and also Rayquaza.
The sad thing is it was my brother's originally. So now its internal battery has died. ;_;

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2014
Definitely I'll be going for Emerald, yeah, I like the battle frontier as well as raquaza. Wallace seems to be quite a challenge in these games as his water Pokemon really can kick some butt. Lol, this may sound ridiculous, but I prefer Wallace's emerald battle sprite than Ruby or Sapphire ones. Milotic Forever! :p

Back