• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Anyone here knows how to edit the multiplier in critical attacks? :3

In FR, the damage increase is handled by code around x1e5e4. If you're talking crit rates, then you'll want to look at the function at x1e408 (which does the rolling and checks involved), and the table at x250530 (which has the crit rates for each stage as half-words).

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Does anyone know a good trainer editor(edits the pokemon trainers have)? I've tried UTE, BattleEd, and whatever trainer editor G3T has, and they all have corrupted the ROM. Without fail. Does anyone know one that doesnt do this?

I've used A-Trainer since day 1.
Find the download link and other tools here: Link

You guys should never use A-trainer.
1: old
2: buggy
3: incorrectly labeled
4: repointer corrupts all the time
5: Repointing the table itself will cause new trainers, but with a bugged ai. For example, random trainers with no items will use items like a master ball, which doesn't do anything.

Use Jambo51's unnamed trainer editor, as it's bugless (unless you mess with the ini incorrectly) and it's correctly labeled and updated as well.

Anyone knows how to edit the chance of shiny Pokémon appearance? For FireRed of course.

It definitely requires some asm hacking to change the PID read compares to something above 0-7. I'm not exactly sure where these compares are, but that's how it'd be done. If you could find those compares from someone or yourself, it'd be the way to do it :D

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
How would I go about redoing an emerald title scren after its already been edited once? I screwed up really bad on the first and would like to redo it. I tried following the normal way of doing it but the title screen image and raw file arent were they normally are.

GoGoJJTech

Years
How would I go about redoing an emerald title scren after its already been edited once? I screwed up really bad on the first and would like to redo it. I tried following the normal way of doing it but the title screen image and raw file arent were they normally are.

Well when you first did it, you repointed the raw and tilesets. So it's not in the same old place, it's in the new ones you pointed to. Try to find them again by deleting the unlz files for your rom then reloading. It'll scan again and you'll be able to find all the stuff in your rom and you can get back to editing. Just make sure to keep track of your stuff and offsets next time, no matter what you're doing.

BluRose

blu rass
Years
Whenever I insert a custom battle background into the game and after inserting the RAW file, I get this:

http: //imgur .com/EX67vgi, kV37gSu ((I haven't changed the palette yet) Not allowed to post links yet)

However, the game solves itself after playing a move animation. It's just a tad annoying with that appearing whenever the screen is refreshed. It will not solve itself if no animations are on, and the white box in the middle of the screen shows the text on the textbox below. I inserted these at Hex F00000 and, after the 1060 bytes of space needed for the tileset (I know it's a lot) the RAW at F01061. I've already expanded the ROM, and inserting them at 01000000 and 01001061 respectively does the same thing, too.

Lastly, I did make backups, so if the solution is to try, try again, then please say so.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
Well when you first did it, you repointed the raw and tilesets. So it's not in the same old place, it's in the new ones you pointed to. Try to find them again by deleting the unlz files for your rom then reloading. It'll scan again and you'll be able to find all the stuff in your rom and you can get back to editing. Just make sure to keep track of your stuff and offsets next time, no matter what you're doing.

It worked but so far I have yet tofind the location of the raw file for it and thats gonna be super hard to find. But thatk you!

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
Hey, I have a few questions concerning Tileset palette editing:

1. Is there a difference between indoor Tileset Palettes and Outdoor Palettes (1-12)? As in, would editing Palette 1 for outdoor Tileset affect Palette 1 for indoor Tileset?

2. Some palettes consist of just 2 colors (ie Palette 6 and 9-11 for indoor tilesets, where there are black blocks with another color for outline). They're used to make some blocks, so could you please help me understand their function/purpose? Would editing the palettes mess anything up?

3. Are there any Tileset palettes I should avoid editing? Any tips are appreciated!

4. I remember reading somewhere that there are certain blocks I shouldn't replace because they're used for animations(?) I remember it was mentioned that they were ones at the end of certain tilesets. Which ones were they again?

Thanks so much for your help! Google wasn't very helpful and searching through these forms yielded too many unneeded results :3

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
Hey, I have a few questions concerning Tileset palette editing:

1. Is there a difference between indoor Tileset Palettes and Outdoor Palettes (1-12)? As in, would editing Palette 1 for outdoor Tileset affect Palette 1 for indoor Tileset?

2. Some palettes consist of just 2 colors (ie Palette 6 and 9-11 for indoor tilesets, where there are black blocks with another color for outline). They're used to make some blocks, so could you please help me understand their function/purpose? Would editing the palettes mess anything up?

3. Are there any Tileset palettes I should avoid editing? Any tips are appreciated!

4. I remember reading somewhere that there are certain blocks I shouldn't replace because they're used for animations(?) I remember it was mentioned that they were ones at the end of certain tilesets. Which ones were they again?

Thanks so much for your help! Google wasn't very helpful and searching through these forms yielded too many unneeded results :3

1: There is no difference. If you're using the same tileset for the inside and outside of a building, for instance:
jm9En.jpg

If you're using Tileset 19 for your inside and outside maps of a building, if you change the palette of ANY palette 0-12 it will change the palette on both maps. Palettes aren't tied to maps, they're tied to the tilesets themselves.

2 and 3: No editing these palettes wouldn't mess anything up. They are just 2 colors probably because they aren't even used in the map blocks to begin with. If they are, it's probably like some black and white palette and the black tile was used for a down tile so that the map had a black border (like if you were inside a building and the borders of the house are black). It depends on what ROM you're using too. I'm not certain on FR but I believe the first 6 palettes are for Tileset 1 (refer to image above) and 7-12 are editable. For Ruby, the first 5 palettes are for Tileset 1 with 6-11 editable and 12 not being editable unless you apply a patch that allows it (I don't have a link but I remember seeing this once) and also for EM ... Palettes 1-5 are editable for Tileset 1 and 6-12 are for Tileset 2. It's free reign so go nuts, editing palettes won't mess up your rom. If you're using 1.92 make sure to click Write palette changes to rom.

4. You mean tiles. Blocks are those 16x16 squares you can draw on the map. Tiles are the 8x8 squares on the image that you select to make the blocks. Anyways.. They're talking about tiles like this:
Spoiler:

So on the bottom you see tiles that are lined up horizontally. This is just the set up for the animated tiles. In that example I show you the flower tiles correctly positioned as you would normally see it and how you'd add it into a block but for the tileset and for it to be animated, the setup of how it is right now is necessary to be animated. To learn more about animating tiles, download Animeditor and look at a animation tutorial or just look at this one: CLICK ME

BluRose

blu rass
Years
Whenever I insert a custom battle background into the game and after inserting the RAW file, I get this:

http: //imgur .com/EX67vgi, kV37gSu ((I haven't changed the palette yet) Not allowed to post links yet)

However, the game solves itself after playing a move animation. It's just a tad annoying with that appearing whenever the screen is refreshed. It will not solve itself if no animations are on, and the white box in the middle of the screen shows the text on the textbox below. I inserted these at Hex F00000 and, after the 1060 bytes of space needed for the tileset (I know it's a lot) the RAW at F01061. I've already expanded the ROM, and inserting them at 01000000 and 01001061 respectively does the same thing, too.

Lastly, I did make backups, so if the solution is to try, try again, then please say so.

NEVERMIND

All I had to do was insert it right after the music table.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
Can anyone enlighten me on having multiple versions of the HP Bar? For one place, it'll be this, or for another map, it'll be another Health Bar.

GoGoJJTech

Years
Can anyone enlighten me on having multiple versions of the HP Bar? For one place, it'll be this, or for another map, it'll be another Health Bar.

Well that'd obviously require asm to load different HP Bars for each location (I.E a byte is set if you're in region 2, and it loads that byte and if you're in region 2 it loads HP bar 2)
That'd be something you'd have to research yourself since nobody has really took the time to do that lol

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I've been starting scripting for a while. Still not really good, but I'm working on it. So here's one problem I'm currently facing. Where is the script where your mother drags you to the TV after setting the clock? I've checked her person script. the script tiles, the clock script, and the level scripts. Can't find it.

Le pug

Years
I've been starting scripting for a while. Still not really good, but I'm working on it. So here's one problem I'm currently facing. Where is the script where your mother drags you to the TV after setting the clock? I've checked her person script. the script tiles, the clock script, and the level scripts. Can't find it.

So it's a level script. You can easily identify it as such by the fact that when the player warps, it INSTANTLY goes to a script without moving. This is done by level scripts. You didn't check the level scripts hard enough. It's somewhere ... really, it is. But that's not the point. Why do you even want to see this script? If there is something special you want from the script, as for it here instead and delete all those level scripts and just make your own.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
So it's a level script. You can easily identify it as such by the fact that when the player warps, it INSTANTLY goes to a script without moving. This is done by level scripts. You didn't check the level scripts hard enough. It's somewhere ... really, it is. But that's not the point. Why do you even want to see this script? If there is something special you want from the script, as for it here instead and delete all those level scripts and just make your own.

I could do that, but I'm not confident enough in my scripting skill to delete anything without knowing the consequences. Maybe in the future, but for now I'm editing existing scripts.

I took another look at the level scripts and still couldn't find anything. So I tested it by deleting level scripts one by one(on a backup of course) and found that deleting the 3rd level script did indeed stop the TV event that takes place right after the clock event, among other things. Here's what it looks like:

'---------------
#org 0x1526B2
lockall
setvar 0x8004 0x1
setvar 0x8005 0x0
goto 0x81B68E6

'---------------
#org 0x1B68E6
msgbox 0x81723B9 0x4 '"MOM: See, [player]?\nIsn't it nice..."
applymovement 0x8004 0x81A07C9
waitmovement 0x0
compare 0x8005 0x0
if 0x1 call 0x81B692F
compare 0x8005 0x1
if 0x1 call 0x81B693A
msgbox 0x81723E3 0x4 '"The mover's POKéMON do all the wor..."
closeonkeypress
setvar 0x4092 0x4
applymovement 0xFF 0x81B6945
applymovement 0x8004 0x81A07D1
waitmovement 0x0
releaseall
end

'---------------
#org 0x1B692F
applymovement 0xFF 0x81A07D3
waitmovement 0x0
return

'---------------
#org 0x1B693A
applymovement 0xFF 0x81A07CF
waitmovement 0x0
return

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x1723B9
= MOM: See, [player]?\nIsn't it nice in here, too?

#org 0x1723E3
= The mover's POKéMON do all the work\nof moving us in and cleaning up after.\lThis is so convenient!\p[player], your room is upstairs.\nGo check it out, dear!\pDAD bought you a new clock to mark\nour move here.\lDon't forget to set it!

'-----------
' Movements
'-----------
#org 0x1A07C9
#raw 0x3E 'Face Player
#raw 0xFE 'End of Movements

#org 0x1B6945
#raw 0x9 'Step Up (Normal)

#org 0x1A07D1
#raw 0x26 'Step on the Spot Up (Fastest)

#org 0x1A07D3
#raw 0x28 'Step on the Spot Right (Fastest)

#org 0x1A07CF
#raw 0x27 'Step on the Spot Left (Fastest)

So now that I know where the script is, I need to pinpoint where I want to edit. Thing is, even though I confirmed that the event following the clock event is in this script, I don't see it anywhere. Nowhere on this script has the movement or text of that event. Does it redirect to something else maybe?

Le pug

Years
Spoiler:

Well if you know it's in this script, it's simple as it's one of the two call commands.
"not confident enough in my scripting skill to delete anything without knowing the consequences" what rom do you hack? You can delete every level script if you wanted to... there are some patches where all the scripts are removed and their old space filled with FF or 00. It's 100% safe to delete level scripts and script tiles etc

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Well if you know it's in this script, it's simple as it's one of the two call commands.
"not confident enough in my scripting skill to delete anything without knowing the consequences" what rom do you hack? You can delete every level script if you wanted to... there are some patches where all the scripts are removed and their old space filled with FF or 00. It's 100% safe to delete level scripts and script tiles etc

The things it calls to are a simple movement step, not the events I'm looking for.
What I mean by lacking confidence is that I'm bad at making scripts from scratch. It's easier and manageable to take the structure of an existing script and change what I want changed. Existing scripts have proper structure and acts as training wheels I can lean on when I don't know how to do what they do. Thing about that is existing scripts use flags and effects that trigger the others. If I get rid of one without knowing the consequences, I risk making any others nonfunctional. So I keep what I don't know as is. That's why I want to find the TV script and edit that rather than make my own. The clock script already leads to it, so I have to go from there. The problem is finding the thing.

Years
Can anyone show me how to use the Yes/No box in script?

Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back