• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Pokémon Names (So Far)

tnfsf11

I didn't like Yveltal's name much, at first I misread it as Ylvetal (eel-ve-tal) which I thought was a nice name, but Yveltal doesn't really sound like a name to me :/

Years
  • Seen Aug 24, 2014
If you dont like them change them... They allow you to give nick names for such a reason... Dont see why you complain.

Years
Although I don't mind most of the Pokemon names revealed so far, Talonflame just doesn't cut it for me IMO. Not only does it just sound like mesh of two unrelated words together but it's also awkward to say with the rough translation from the n sound to f sound. Other Pokemon names for example, like Voltorb, Snorlax, and even the same generation's Honedge doesn't suffer from the same problem.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Fletchling and Talonflame could have had more creative thought put into their names. Overall, the current names are still been than most of the gen1 names.

Does anyone know the name origin of Pangoro? Otherwise, I don't like his name much either.

Jumpleet

Rise Above The Rest
Years
Skrelp and Clauncher are the greatest names ever invented ever. I am thinking of naming my kids those names.

Talonflame sounds scary. Who would fight anything if all you knew about it was that it's name is "Talonflame"

Scatterbug seems a little unoriginal, but Spewpa made me laugh, and Vivillon sound epic.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
It will take me a while to get used to the new names - I will probably be embarrassed to say a few of their names. It was the same way since 1st gen, and every generation after that where Pokemon got introduced I didn't like the names at first, after a while it was no problem.

Talonflame, Skrelp, Scatterbug, & Helioptile. I didn't really like their English names, in a way I wasn't expecting them that way. I wish it was much closer to its Japanese names.

[Not sure if off-topic, so I'll leave it in a spoiler tag - about my accent]
Spoiler:

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
Fletchling and Talonflame could have had more creative thought put into their names. Overall, the current names are still been than most of the gen1 names.

Does anyone know the name origin of Pangoro? Otherwise, I don't like his name much either.

It's Panda and Goro, Goro is Japanese Onomatopoeia for "Rolling" (Hence why Gorons in Zelda are called Gorons, cause they roll)
What Pangoro has to do with rolling, I have no clue.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I like the names so far actually, especially Xerneas and Yvetal. The names are very good when you compare them to such classics as Seel, Muk and Roggenrola.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I like all the names so far, English or French (I live in France) . They are simple, easy to pronounce, and reflect more or less what the Pokémon is. As I've said in the thread about deigns, I like when the Pokémon people keep it simple.

There's also one thing I noticed about French names: at least two of them, Pandespiègle (Pancham) and Cabriolaine (Skiddo) are more than 10 letters long. Looks like that limit is getting bumped up to 12!

One last thing: for those who say Gen 1 names are not that creative, I'm surprised no one mentioned the absolute worst Pokémon name ever in terms of being creative: Golem. It's just the word "golem". As much as I like simple Pokémon names, just using an already existing word without changing it at all is too much even for me.

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
Years
I freaking hate Flametalon's name. Flame and talon. Oooh, original! It's a Fire type with talons! I would have never guessed...

The rest are okay, but the Japanese name for Spritzee was awful XD

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
The naming has been pretty bad this generation really... there are very few that I actually love like Malamar and Spritzee...
those names are memorable and classic sounding to me already.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
The only real name I have a problem with is Talonflame, literally all the others are perfectly fine.

I agree, the only Pokémon with a bad name here is Talonflame as it's, well, too obvious, there's no guessing involved, unlike with all the other names, where you've had to guess what words make them up.

In fact, we're all still clueless about Xerneas and Yveltal's names.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
I'm still trying to forget about Talonflame...
It's a shame... such an amazingly designed Pokemon ruined with such a name.

Back