• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Useful Emerald Stuff

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
Now how about the Zigzagoon that chases the professor around at the beginning. How would that be changed to something else.

I'm not to sure what to look for in a hex editor, and that is why I am asking. (I really wish I had more to contribute than a question, but hey. That is how people learn... by asking questions!)

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Now how about the Zigzagoon that chases the professor around at the beginning. How would that be changed to something else.

I'm not to sure what to look for in a hex editor, and that is why I am asking. (I really wish I had more to contribute than a question, but hey. That is how people learn... by asking questions!)
I could find it if I had the offset for the special table but I am to lazy too debug and get it...

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
^ So if I had that number I could go to that offset in a hex editor and change Zigzagoon's hex number to another PKMN's hex number?

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
^ So if I had that number I could go to that offset in a hex editor and change Zigzagoon's hex number to another PKMN's hex number?
Well, actually, no. What you have to do is get the correct routine address, then go there and disassemble the routine. Then search for a number that resembles Zigzagoon's hex number (although it might be divided by 2, check and see) and change it accordingly.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
Well, actually, no. What you have to do is get the correct routine address, then go there and disassemble the routine. Then search for a number that resembles Zigzagoon's hex number (although it might be divided by 2, check and see) and change it accordingly.

Okay, when I have some more free time. I'll check it out, and see if I can find anything. I'm to busy right now to do it, maybe the weekend.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
The portable clock seems like an amazing idea! I'm currently hacking Sapphire, what do I need to do to make a portable clock there?

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
The portable clock seems like an amazing idea! I'm currently hacking Sapphire, what do I need to do to make a portable clock there?
Find the special table, calculate which is the pointer for the clock routine, and then put that as the item routine thing.

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Wow. This really useful stuff. Especially to me because I'm a total looser at hacking Emerald. So, this helps me a lot. Thanks!

Farful

Advanced Trainer
Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2012
thank you. you've convinced me to hack emerald!!!

droomph

weeb
Years
Wow, I freaking feel like a loser. I can't do anything on my own, can't I?

Well anyways thanks for the pointer for the clock special. I can probably work something out from there.

EDÐIT:Hah wow I stoopid

Last edited:

Falchion

Hacker
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 18, 2012
Isnt there a way to hack the trainers backsprite in emerald

FirEmerald

Pokemon reverse engineer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
This document contains ALL the LZ77 compressed data offsets in pokemon Emerald(not deep scan), so those of you with a pokemon Emerald rom can rip the images.

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2019
i was honestly not expecting to find this:

ROM:082E1880 ReadFlashID:
ROM:082E191C FlashTimerIntr:
ROM:082E1944 @ u16 __fastcall SetFlashTimerIntr(u8 timerNo, void (**IntrFunc)(void))
ROM:082E1980 StartFlashTimer:
ROM:082E1A28 StopFlashTimer:
ROM:082E1A6C ReadFlash1:
ROM:082E1A70 SetReadFlash1:
ROM:082E1AB0 ReadFlash_Core:
ROM:082E1AD4 @ void __fastcall ReadFlash(u16 secNo, u32 offset, u8 *dst, u32 size)
ROM:082E1B70 VerifyFlashSector_Core:
ROM:082E1BA0 @ u32 __fastcall VerifyFlashSector(u16 secNo, u8 *src)
ROM:082E1D5C @ u16 __fastcall IdentifyFlash()
ROM:082E1DFC PollingSR_COMMON:
ROM:082E1E9C @ u16 __fastcall EraseFlashChip_LE()
ROM:082E1F10 @ u16 __fastcall EraseFlashSector_LE(u16 secNo)
ROM:082E2074 ProgramFlashByte_LE:

there's more, but i need to finish going through the static library

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
Let's say I activate the FRLG Town Map in Emerald, and I edit the graphics in unLZ... but what about modifying flying locations or editing the map/town locations in Advance Map? AMap would show up the Hoenn map, not the FRLG one.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Let's say I activate the FRLG Town Map in Emerald, and I edit the graphics in unLZ... but what about modifying flying locations or editing the map/town locations in Advance Map? AMap would show up the Hoenn map, not the FRLG one.

When he says the FRLG Town Map, he means he's editing the leftover FRLG item to actually work with the PokeNav map, not adding the actual FRLG map.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
When he says the FRLG Town Map, he means he's editing the leftover FRLG item to actually work with the PokeNav map, not adding the actual FRLG map.

Oh. I thought that actually using the FRLG Town Map in Emerald would work, considering the data must be there along with the rest of the leftover FRLG stuff.

The advantage of that is that we could have a much bigger world map.... RSE has only one for all Hoenn, FRLG has 1 for Kanto and 3 other screens/pages for the Sevii Islands.

Back