• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there a way to have the trainer choose his first pokemon rather then just having your first pokemon in the party battle?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Yes, and it's already possible. All you have to do is to move whichever Pokémon you want to battle first into the first slot of your party.

Why are you asking? Is it somehow impossible for the player to access the party screen, yet you want them to (effectively) be able to do so?

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
I think he means that he wants the player to be able to choose which Pokémon to send out once you've already have locked eyes with a trainer and no longer can open your menu or even when the battle has already started.

I assume that would require some scripting, although basic, to achieve.

Maruno

Years
It wouldn't be basic, but it does sound like it would be pointless. Just assume the player knows how a Pokémon game works.

Years
Just as tImE said. This is during the battle phase. I know that the pokemon can be changed in the party screen "outside" of battle and when switching pokemon during battle but what I'm asking has to do with the beginning of the battle phase. What if you don't want the first party member to battle and you've already locked eyes with the opponent. Either way the battle will be a battle. I was only trying to give trainers a more realistic choose rather than just using your first pokemon.

Maruno

Years
The player is already able to choose which Pokémon they use first - it's the Pokémon at the front of their party. If you walk around with a poor Pokémon at the front of your party, knowing full well that there are trainers and wild Pokémon that will battle you without warning (although you do get warning with trainers because you can usually see them first), then you're not good at Pokémon.

If you implement your idea somehow, then realistically it will happen at the beginning of every battle. The player will most likely already have the Pokémon they want to lead with at the front of their party, making such a choice pointless and time-consuming.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 31, 2023
i guess depends when it happens because if it happens once you know who your going to fight (guess only helpful in wild battles) then in all honestly you'll want the best for that counter eg you wouldnt send pidgy out against a pikachu but as bug catchers are common trainers in the area you may want it as your party leader

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Lol to Maruno's post... No matter how sarcastic he is, sometimes it's funny because it's true.
Anyway.
Why don't you give a choice option of "yes" or "no" before battle and if yes is chosen, call the Pokemon screen? However, this does seem pointless still, a player can just do that before a battle... But each to their own lol

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 9, 2015
You can change Pokémon during battle phase too, even if you have a pidgey as first pokémon and meet a trainer with a pikachu, you can easily switch to a geodude right away, if you make a good choice the damage by the pikachu will be not effective otherwise you'll waste a turn by getting damaged.
Looks fair as it to me.

Back