• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
One of the checks is in the routine at 0x440F4. You will need to use ASM to find the others.

Flag 0x1.....-_- You need to start checking the lists from DavidJCobb. That flag is sooo temporary, I could sneeze and it would have problems staying set and JPAN's engine doesn't add any more safe flags.

Would it be worthwhile to release the code I made which adds a bunch of new safe flags and vars, do you think? It carries a problem in that it necessitates the use of JPAN's save block hack, which very few people can correctly insert, and that any already in progress hack will need to be restarted (from a playing perspective, not a hacking perspective).

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Would it be worthwhile to release the code I made which adds a bunch of new safe flags and vars, do you think? It carries a problem in that it necessitates the use of JPAN's save block hack, which very few people can correctly insert, and that any already in progress hack will need to be restarted (from a playing perspective, not a hacking perspective).

Jambo, remember, we made the patch? The one for the save-block hack? So that no one would ever have to go through those troubles again? So that part is easy, but the code you wrote would deffinaetly be worth it.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
One of the checks is in the routine at 0x440F4. You will need to use ASM to find the others.

Flag 0x1.....-_- You need to start checking the lists from DavidJCobb. That flag is sooo temporary, I could sneeze and it would have problems staying set and JPAN's engine doesn't add any more safe flags.

Sorry for the late reply. So what's a very ideal and easy to remember flag that is safe to use? Can I use 0x300 and up? Because I'm gonna use a straight set of 250 flags and I don't wanna overlap anything. And also sorry, I thought removing the 0x(00)1 would affect it. :P Heheheh... And I've been quite forgetful these days. Oh and at one point of time, I made a setflag 0x1 in one map then a checkflag 0x1 in another map but it worked so I thought it would be safe now...

Jambo, remember, we made the patch? The one for the save-block hack? So that no one would ever have to go through those troubles again? So that part is easy, but the code you wrote would deffinaetly be worth it.

Is this the patch you guys are talking about? Which flags and vars does it make safe to use and how many are they?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Is this the patch you guys are talking about? Which flags and vars does it make safe to use and how many are they?

That patch doesn't make it safe in and of itself to use vars/flags, but it's the first step in a few of getting safe vars and flags.

I have code made to take advantage of the newly freed up save space and make new variables and flags which are safe to use. I haven't released it and I was wondering if I should. It's not easy to use (albeit easier than JPAN's code).

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Sorry for the late reply. So what's a very ideal and easy to remember flag that is safe to use? Can I use 0x300 and up? Because I'm gonna use a straight set of 250 flags and I don't wanna overlap anything. And also sorry, I thought removing the 0x(00)1 would affect it. :P Heheheh... And I've been quite forgetful these days. Oh and at one point of time, I made a setflag 0x1 in one map then a checkflag 0x1 in another map but it worked so I thought it would be safe now...

Flags 0x200-0x2FF are safe I'm pretty sure. In that space, you have 255 flags to use which is enough for what you wanted. I think Karatekid told me that so blame him if something goes wrong ;D

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
That patch doesn't make it safe in and of itself to use vars/flags, but it's the first step in a few of getting safe vars and flags.

I have code made to take advantage of the newly freed up save space and make new variables and flags which are safe to use. I haven't released it and I was wondering if I should. It's not easy to use (albeit easier than JPAN's code).

But can it be used on the engine?

Flags 0x200-0x2FF are safe I'm pretty sure. In that space, you have 255 flags to use which is enough for what you wanted. I think Karatekid told me that so blame him if something goes wrong ;D

Actually, no. One is used:

Flag 0x266 appears to be directly manipulated by the game engine. If set, there is an EGG waiting for you in the Four Island Daycare Center. It is unset manually by scripts if you choose to discard the egg.

I have to use a straight list.

EDIT: Also another question. Does this only make the images appear or does it also apply the Physical/Special Split?

If it doesn't, Can someone link me to a patch that apply the Physical/Special Split? The one Doesntknowhowtoplay made makes moves deal like 3HP damage just like that. I think it went overboard or is it really supposed to be like that?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Yes it can be. JPAN's engine and his save block hack should be compatible, seeing as he made both and they affect different things.

Aww you have to check the list:p.

Then Jambo should release the code which makes some flags and vars safe.

Oh. I. Am. So. Dumb.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Sorry for asking the same question again but how do I repoint the overworlds so the frames load correctly? I have repointed the frames images so I don't think they are the problem...

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Sometimes that does the trick, but once I've cleared getting the sprite into APSE, I get an unhandled exception error when I click Write to ROM. Never gotten past that point so far.

Can you press the Details Button, scroll to the bottom and post a screenshot or at least write what it says there?

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2022
Sure. Here's the Details log:
Spoiler:

And here's what my shiny sprite looks like, if you think it may be causing the error:
Spoiler:

Edit: I just made the shiny look the same as the normal sprite, just to put an okay looking sprite in there, but same error. Hm

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2013
Possible reasons for a warp not working even if you have the correct map bank and warp numbers? For some reason the exit warp for my cave just refuses to work. The other entrance/exit work fine and this entrance works as well. Just this particular exit for some reason does not work in game.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Sure. Here's the Details log:
Spoiler:

And here's what my shiny sprite looks like, if you think it may be causing the error:
Spoiler:

Edit: I just made the shiny look the same as the normal sprite, just to put an okay looking sprite in there, but same error. Hm

Are you still getting the "Index was outside the bounds of the array" in this one?

Or is it just an error when Saving it/Writing to ROM/ctrl+s?

And is that the original sprite or did you edit it?

Try importing it one by one not import all. (Do it this way; Import Normal Front Sprite, Import Shiny Back Sprite/Import the Normal Back Sprite and edit the shiny palette yourself.)

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Possible reasons for a warp not working even if you have the correct map bank and warp numbers? For some reason the exit warp for my cave just refuses to work. The other entrance/exit work fine and this entrance works as well. Just this particular exit for some reason does not work in game.

Does it warp you to a black screen? That could mean the next map is corrupted. If it isn't doing anything at all, then it is probably the tile you are standing on. A tile will only let you warp if it has warp properties. Check out the tile you are using in the Block Editor to see if it does have those properties.

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2022
Are you still getting the "Index was outside the bounds of the array" in this one?

Or is it just an error when Saving it/Writing to ROM/ctrl+s?

And is that the original sprite or did you edit it?

Try importing it one by one not import all. (Do it this way; Import Normal Front Sprite, Import Shiny Back Sprite/Import the Normal Back Sprite and edit the shiny palette yourself.)

It's just that "unhandled exception" error when Writing to ROM.

It's the original Venusaur sprite, I just saved it from unLZ and imported it without messing with it. One thing is, when I import Venusaur into APSE and Synchronize Palettes, the colors are a little messed up, but then I just import it again right after and it clears up all the imperfections. Don't really understand why that is but ok.

I've been importing it one by one thus far.

I've tried changing the most minor things (like changing a light purple color in a shiny palette to white) and it still gives me that unhandled exception error when I Write to ROM.

(thanks for the extensive help btw)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back