• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 14, 2014
Can anyone help me? I'm stuck hardcore in Pokemon Ash Grey. I've done every event except for trading butterfree/raticate and 'The Misty Mermaid'(The phone didn't ring), yet I cannot get Ash's mom to give me the event with Gloom in the Garden. Can anyone help? Its really frustrating, I can't go past the Officer Jenny in Veridian to reach the pokemon league...I think I have to finish this Gloom event, but i can't even start it.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Can anyone help me? I'm stuck hardcore in Pokemon Ash Grey. I've done every event except for trading butterfree/raticate and 'The Misty Mermaid'(The phone didn't ring), yet I cannot get Ash's mom to give me the event with Gloom in the Garden. Can anyone help? Its really frustrating, I can't go past the Officer Jenny in Veridian to reach the pokemon league...I think I have to finish this Gloom event, but i can't even start it.

You shouldn't really ask such questions in this thread. Instead, have a look at Ash Gray's thread in the Hacks Studio section and see if someone else has had a similar problem. Otherwise just post your question there, it's much more likely that you'll get an answer in that thread.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
So...
when I started scripting, I found it hard...
now, I found it super easy!
So, you guys, what did you think when you're just a newbie to scripting, did you find it hard or easy?

When I started, I didn't think it was too hard, just took me a bit to memorize a few things.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 18, 2014
Any hacks released out there that are technically GBA, but have superior graphics like Gen 4 or 5?

Years
I played a hack called pokemon Shiny Platinum NOT LIGHT PLATINUM! This was Shiny Platinum and I can't find it. Does anyone know where I can get this or who made it

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 18, 2024
I played a hack called pokemon Shiny Platinum NOT LIGHT PLATINUM! This was Shiny Platinum and I can't find it. Does anyone know where I can get this or who made it
I don't think I've ever heard of a hack named Shiny Platinum. I tried to search for it but all that came up was the Light Platinum version.

And this place seems kinda empty. I just came back to hacking and I must say it's really refreshing to start again after doing it on and off with unsuccessful hacks in the past. There's so much new research and stuff that I have to catch up on as well.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 16, 2016
Hi.
I've been playing Pokemon games for two years, and I like them. I also liked some hacks light platinum, drayano's hacks, dark rising... (i'd like you to suggest me some others, especially on nds). I have a question: do i really need to know how to script in order to make a decent hack, cause i've seen some simple hack tools which don't require any specific knowledge, and i'd like to knw if there are ones for text editing and other stuff (gba or nds). Thank you.

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 18, 2024
Hi.
I've been playing Pokemon games for two years, and I like them. I also liked some hacks light platinum, drayano's hacks, dark rising... (i'd like you to suggest me some others, especially on nds). I have a question: do i really need to know how to script in order to make a decent hack, cause i've seen some simple hack tools which don't require any specific knowledge, and i'd like to knw if there are ones for text editing and other stuff (gba or nds). Thank you.

Scripting is essential if you're ever planning on changing something major in the game. Anything like new dialogue, events, trainerbattles, encounters and the list goes on. Without doing any scripting, you have very little room to "customize". But while we're on the topic, it's very easy to learn and pick up. All you need to do is just think logically and know what limits you have.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
I'm bringing it back, *****ezz
What mapping style do you guys prefer, the Gamefreak one, or the natural one? I like a good mix of both, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the natural one :D

Blah

Free supporter
Years
What mapping style do you guys prefer, the Gamefreak one, or the natural one? I like a good mix of both, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the natural one :D

I like a mix of both as well, though I prefer the Gamefreak maps over natural. I think that natural maps may be pleasing to look at, but game play wise they bring up a lot of flaws (not to mention block/tile editing for overlaps is a pain :P)

OrangeStar

The Star of Destiny
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 24, 2014

We definitely need a combination of both! You gotta be bi-maptual. {XD}

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
Years

+1 to Natural mapping, gamefreak map style is horrible, these mapping method is:

1. Take a square and fill with grass
2. Put some trees around the square
3. Put 2 houses and a lab in the square
4. Put one path in a linear way
5. Put three or four flowers, maybe gates or a water square.
6. Put some people in the square.
7. Name? maybe Pallet Town

With the original tiles of the game you can make a good and natural maps, try to see the maps of some good mappers like Zinc or Jaizu.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
It depends what you mean by natural mapping, some people go way overboard with it. Like, avoiding too many squares and straight lines is great - but overdecorating your maps or sporadically placing trees to emulate the real world looks really bad in 2D gaming. It also leads to awkward playability a lot of the time, too.

I prefer somewhere that's not quite Game Freak mapping, but still keeping it relatively clean cut. I hate looking at maps that are crammed full of... everything.

Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2015
mega evolution

hellow ! I search for some hack pokemon where you can obtain mega evo' (a little tired of simple pokemon =/) if some people can tell me well thanks =)

-I found pokemon mega power =) but I think more hack with mega evo' exist , nop ?

Last edited:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
What do you consider being better in a scripted event with unrelated people nearby, lock, or lockall?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
What do you consider being better in a scripted event with unrelated people nearby, lock, or lockall?

I don't think it matters too much, since the additional sprites don't tend to be the focus. I normally use lockall though just for a bit of additional control over how it looks.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
I don't think it matters too much, since the additional sprites don't tend to be the focus. I normally use lockall though just for a bit of additional control over how it looks.

I was thinking about when an event happens, the unimportants gather around to watch it as bystanders.. Does that add to it or just make it worse?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I was thinking about when an event happens, the unimportants gather around to watch it as bystanders.. Does that add to it or just make it worse?

I think that would be a nice touch, rather than just a one-on-one meeting that is ignored by the town folk! Nintendo normally do so with random extra NPCs that appear, which is pretty easy as long as the map itself isn't already stuffed with additionals.

So yeah, go for it I say :).

Back