• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
In Generation III, do a Pokemon's stats get recalculated after a trade?

What do you mean by this? Are you asking if you recieve an in-game traded Pokemon it will have different stats/ natures?

If this is what you're asking, according to Zodiac Da Great's Trader Advanced, you can set the Nature and IVs of the Pokemon that you get in the trade, which should make their stats the same no matter how many times you reset and try again.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
What do you mean by this? Are you asking if you recieve an in-game traded Pokemon it will have different stats/ natures?

If this is what you're asking, according to Zodiac Da Great's Trader Advanced, you can set the Nature and IVs of the Pokemon that you get in the trade, which should make their stats the same no matter how many times you reset and try again.
Sorry, I should have clarified my question.

For example, if I have a hacked Firered game with a Caterpie with 255 base attack, and trade it to a normal FireRed, will the stats be recalculated to match the new game?

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Hey, I have a few questions. How do I edit the main trainers sprite. I've indexed the file, and then I replace it in UnLz, but it looks messed up so I tried to change the palette in APE, but It said not to, the reason is because when I clciked ignore the game now freezes and goes black when I click the trainer card?? I was thinking that I should insert the sprite into a empty slot and then repoint the offset so the game uses that trainer, but i'm a complete newb, so how would you do that?

Also, I've looked over mapping and it's seem very annoying as when I say change one part of grass, loads of it changes all through the world, when I only want that spot -_- Is there any-way to bypass these restrictions?

Sorry to re-post, but my question was completely ignored.

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2011
How do you edit the stats of items?

I'm trying to edit lucky egg and exp share so they give out more exp so i don't have to grind as much. I've tried using item manager and item editor tools, but you don't seem to be able to edit the exp they give. Only the description or the pocket they are held in.

any ideas?

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2023
advance map problem

Hey all,

I'm new to hacking and have started to create some maps for a FireRed hack. This was going well until I tried to edit the Wild Pokemon data of certain maps - I want to remove all wild pokemon completely from my maps for now so that I can test whether the connections and tiles work properly. But since I removed the wild pokemon data from my maps I've been getting an error "ERROR: (ENotAPointer) AdvanceMapError(5): Value $FFFFFFFF is not a pointer!" I examined the map data a bit and it turns out that the wild pokemon data is not quite being removed, instead all the wild pokemon values are being cleared, and each wild pokemon type is "Please choose" in the editor, with an encounter rate of 255. Also, every time I open the map and close it, I am asked whether I want to save the wild pokemon data, even if I did absolutely nothing to the map.

Can anyone help with this issue? tl;dr can't edit wild pokemon data, attempts to have done so have screwed up my maps.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
Hey all,

I'm new to hacking and have started to create some maps for a FireRed hack. This was going well until I tried to edit the Wild Pokemon data of certain maps - I want to remove all wild pokemon completely from my maps for now so that I can test whether the connections and tiles work properly. But since I removed the wild pokemon data from my maps I've been getting an error "ERROR: (ENotAPointer) AdvanceMapError(5): Value $FFFFFFFF is not a pointer!" I examined the map data a bit and it turns out that the wild pokemon data is not quite being removed, instead all the wild pokemon values are being cleared, and each wild pokemon type is "Please choose" in the editor, with an encounter rate of 255. Also, every time I open the map and close it, I am asked whether I want to save the wild pokemon data, even if I did absolutely nothing to the map.

Can anyone help with this issue? tl;dr can't edit wild pokemon data, attempts to have done so have screwed up my maps.

I'm not super sure what's going on with that, but couldn't you just remove grass tiles and everything else that allows you to encounter pokemon (water) from your map? That would let you go through without encountering any Pokemon as long as there's no grass to encounter them and you don't have to go through the hassle of deleting and restoring the wild pokemon data.

Once you're done with that, put the tiles back in. Is that what you're looking for?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2023
I'm not super sure what's going on with that, but couldn't you just remove grass tiles and everything else that allows you to encounter pokemon (water) from your map? That would let you go through without encountering any Pokemon as long as there's no grass to encounter them and you don't have to go through the hassle of deleting and restoring the wild pokemon data.

Once you're done with that, put the tiles back in. Is that what you're looking for?

I thought about doing that, but if I try to create wild pokemon data and save that, that doesn't work anymore either. Also thanks for the quick reply

Articuno23

Sub-Zero
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2012
Yeh they might make your pokemon fall asleep aswell but is it a hundred rate of accuracy of sleep does it always make your pokemon sleep did you edit any stats.

When the move hits it always sends the pokemon to sleep. It says [Pokemon] is now confused but next turn it says [pokemon] is fast asleep. I have edited some base stats of pokemon but not the stats of the moves.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Need some help adding custom items to FR...

So, using only this site and Google, I was able to get pretty far on my first FireRed hack... But I've finally hit a wall. Hence this post -- my first on this forum. (Apologies if I accidentally violate any rules, standards, best practices, etc.. Lemme know if that's the case and I'll make any necessary edits.)

I can edit an item's name and description just fine -- well, I was able to once I broke out the hex editor and did it for the program I was using... But editing the sprite in any way, shape, or form causes the game to fade to black and crash when attempting to display it.

To be specific, here are pretty much all of the changes I've made to the ROM.

1. Applied JPan's FireRed Hacked Engine to a clean FireRed ROM.
    • This was the v1.1 IPS patch that came with the installer. So it deleted all scripts/people/etc. in addition to applying the engine hacks.
  2. Did some extensive editing in AdvanceMap. Found some bugs, emailed the creator.
  3. Changed some Pokemon sprites around.
  4. Altered an item. I changed the "????????" that is listed after the "GREEN SHARD" to an item named "GHOST BEADS" with a custom description and index 52 (previously it was 0).
    • I compiled the description into the game with XSE, and used a hex editor to change the name and the description pointer. (I found the pointer using the Pokemon Game Editor's Item Editor [1]; I would've done the edits directly through that program, except that it derped horribly and mangled the item table.)
  5. Now, I'm aware that all "????????" point to the same sprite, and that I would need to add a new sprite to the game and change "GHOST BEADS"'s pointer if I wanted more than one custom item. So I tried several different methods of inserting a new item image into the ROM's data. So far as I can tell, the image was inserted successfully every time. I was able to re-open it and view it in both NSE versions, though I couldn't ever find it in unLZ. (It was compressed, though.)
    • unLZ
    • Nameless Sprite Editor
    • Nameless Sprite Editor 2[2]
  6. Tried several different methods to repoint GHOST BEADS to use the new image.
    • Pokemon Game Editor > Item Editor [1]
      (This is probably the only change it was capable of making successfully.)
    • Item Image Editor (by Swampert)
    • Manual hex editing
The edits up to and including 4 all worked flawlessly. The item's name and description were changed and behaved stably in-game. However, changing the item's sprite made it impossible to view the Bag when the item was present. (It was also impossible to view the stats of a Pokemon holding that item.) The game would fade to black in preparation to display the next screen... And it'd stay black. Crash. Freeze. Viewing the emu's map data, memory viewer, etc., showed that basically, nothing was successfully loaded. At all.

I've been searching for hours now and I've found absolutely nothing on this. Both Google and this website's search. And I've found nothing. Zip. Nada. So far as I can tell, I'm royally screwed.

Any help?

Oh, and some more technical details in case no useful information can be gleaned from the above:

--------------------------------------

DETAILED APPENDIX OF CHANGES:

Modified item data:
Name: GHOST BEADS
Price: 350
New Description Pointer: 800349
New Description:
A necklace taken from MISDREAVUS.\nSome believe that it can be used\nto trick angry spirits.
New Sprite: [attached]
New Sprite Pointer: 8000E7
New Palette Pointer: 8004E5

[Unrelated changes are not listed for brevity's sake. They mostly include map and tileset changes, with a few scripts (that work correctly) and some sprite edits. If, somehow, anyone deems these to be potentially relevant, I can upload the relevant assets.]

MENTIONED UTILITIES

Since I can't post links yet (this is, to my knowledge, my first post on this site), I'll give you thread IDs.

[1] Pokemon Game Editor: 252294
[2] Nameless Sprite Editor 2: 253701

Attachments

• Item-Ghost Beads.png
    Item-Ghost Beads.png
    281 bytes · Views: 149

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Sorry, but I don't even know where to begin to look for this... How would one edit the text that says "[Player] puts the [item] in the Items Pocket", or whatever the exact wording is, in Ruby? I'm currently using XSE, but I'll download something else if necessary.

Learath2

Scripter
Years
Sorry, but I don't even know where to begin to look for this... How would one edit the text that says "[Player] puts the [item] in the Items Pocket", or whatever the exact wording is, in Ruby? I'm currently using XSE, but I'll download something else if necessary.

You can use A-Text to edit all kinds of text its easier then manually copiling a new string then repointing the old one.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
So, using only this site and Google, I was able to get pretty far on my first FireRed hack... But I've finally hit a wall. Hence this post -- my first on this forum. (Apologies if I accidentally violate any rules, standards, best practices, etc.. Lemme know if that's the case and I'll make any necessary edits.)

I can edit an item's name and description just fine -- well, I was able to once I broke out the hex editor and did it for the program I was using... But editing the sprite in any way, shape, or form causes the game to fade to black and crash when attempting to display it.

To be specific, here are pretty much all of the changes I've made to the ROM.

1. Applied JPan's FireRed Hacked Engine to a clean FireRed ROM.
    • This was the v1.1 IPS patch that came with the installer. So it deleted all scripts/people/etc. in addition to applying the engine hacks.
  2. Did some extensive editing in AdvanceMap. Found some bugs, emailed the creator.
  3. Changed some Pokemon sprites around.
  4. Altered an item. I changed the "????????" that is listed after the "GREEN SHARD" to an item named "GHOST BEADS" with a custom description and index 52 (previously it was 0).
    • I compiled the description into the game with XSE, and used a hex editor to change the name and the description pointer. (I found the pointer using the Pokemon Game Editor's Item Editor [1]; I would've done the edits directly through that program, except that it derped horribly and mangled the item table.)
  5. Now, I'm aware that all "????????" point to the same sprite, and that I would need to add a new sprite to the game and change "GHOST BEADS"'s pointer if I wanted more than one custom item. So I tried several different methods of inserting a new item image into the ROM's data. So far as I can tell, the image was inserted successfully every time. I was able to re-open it and view it in both NSE versions, though I couldn't ever find it in unLZ. (It was compressed, though.)
    • unLZ
    • Nameless Sprite Editor
    • Nameless Sprite Editor 2[2]
  6. Tried several different methods to repoint GHOST BEADS to use the new image.
    • Pokemon Game Editor > Item Editor [1]
      (This is probably the only change it was capable of making successfully.)
    • Item Image Editor (by Swampert)
    • Manual hex editing
The edits up to and including 4 all worked flawlessly. The item's name and description were changed and behaved stably in-game. However, changing the item's sprite made it impossible to view the Bag when the item was present. (It was also impossible to view the stats of a Pokemon holding that item.) The game would fade to black in preparation to display the next screen... And it'd stay black. Crash. Freeze. Viewing the emu's map data, memory viewer, etc., showed that basically, nothing was successfully loaded. At all.

I've been searching for hours now and I've found absolutely nothing on this. Both Google and this website's search. And I've found nothing. Zip. Nada. So far as I can tell, I'm royally screwed.

Any help?

Oh, and some more technical details in case no useful information can be gleaned from the above:

DETAILED APPENDIX OF CHANGES:

Modified item data:
Name: GHOST BEADS
Price: 350
New Description Pointer: 800349
New Description:
A necklace taken from MISDREAVUS.\nSome believe that it can be used\nto trick angry spirits.
New Sprite: [attached]
New Sprite Pointer: 8000E7
New Palette Pointer: 8004E5

[Unrelated changes are not listed for brevity's sake. They mostly include map and tileset changes, with a few scripts (that work correctly) and some sprite edits. If, somehow, anyone deems these to be potentially relevant, I can upload the relevant assets.]

MENTIONED UTILITIES

Since I can't post links yet (this is, to my knowledge, my first post on this site), I'll give you thread IDs.

[1] Pokemon Game Editor: 252294
[2] Nameless Sprite Editor 2: 253701
Make sure the offset you import the image in to is a multiple of 4.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Hey all,

It would be easier to just turn the encounter rate down to 0 for the wild Pokemon on the map and just leave the wild Pokemon data there.

Vittorini

Expert Trainer
Years
I'm having a really annoying problem with the warp events in advance map. I set up the warps and make sure they are connected by clicking "goto" and all the numbers are correct and everything. When I go to test them out on my emulator, I go into the warp and then the screen goes black and there is no music for the next area. I have the unknown of both warps set to 03.

Anyone know what causes this and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my rom is FireRed and I'm using the most up to date version of advance map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back