• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First competitive team.

14Henderson7

Poke'Maniac
Years
Ok i've been testing pokemon and movesets and this is what I'm currently testing. Tell me your opinions.

-Crobat @ Leftovers
Modest
Inner Focus
128 Hp // 252 Atk // 128 SpD
-Brave Bird
-U Turn
-Taunt
-Roost

-Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Adamant
Mold Breaker
36 Hp // 252 Atk // 220 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Outrage

-Excadrill @ Choice Band
Jolly
Sand Rush
4 Hp // 252 Atk // 252 Spe
-X-Scissor
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Return

-Jolteon @ Electric Gem
Timid
Volt Absorb
252 SpA // 4 SpD // 252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Work Up
-Hidden Power (Ice)

-Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Modest
Flame Body
56 HP // 200 SpA // 252 Spe
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Flamethrower
-Hidden Power (Fighting)

-Blastoise @ Focus Sash
Calm
Torrent
252 Hp // 200 Def // 56 SpD
-Rest
-Rapid Spin
-Sleep Talk
-Scald

Blastoise is pretty much good for nothing on this team. And I can't find a move set comfortable enough for him. So either I'm going to completely switch him out or find completely new role for him. Opinions?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Just so you know, your team will be placed into ubers due to Excadrill now being uber, and considering how the rest of your team is, I'm pretty sure at most it's created for OU so you'll probably need to replace that (if so, maybe try something like ferro? it'd be useful for hazards as well as annoying for the opponent, win/win).

Either way, if you want a really good water spinner, you could try Starmie. It's fast, has great coverage due to boltbeam and its sPA doesn't suck either. It would also provide the coverage that you wouldn't have if Jolteon gets killed off. So if you were to go with Starmie, you'd have Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Surf/HydroPump and Rapid Spin (with LO, sPA and Spe evs and Timid nature) which would generally fit in well with your team.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
Well, Smogon (And PC?) are the only places that have banned Excadrill, if you battle on the PO server you should be fine.

Without Sand Rock Polish Landorus or Terrakion will give you lots of problems (With it Excadrill should take out the latter and hit the former pretty hard). You can fix this by adding CB Azumarill over your Blastoise.

Azumarill@Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
212 HP / 252 Attack / 44 Speed
Aqua Jet
Waterfall
Return / Ice Punch
Superpower

Anyways, pretty nice team you've got there. ^_^

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
It's not a good idea to give Crobat a Modest nature when it's using Brave Bird:
-Brave Bird
-Taunt
-Roost
-Super Fang/U-turn
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers

Jolteon isn't as good as it used to be. It's also too frail to use Work Up effectively. How about Rotom-W? Sure, it's slower, but it can defend or attack effectively:
-Thunderbolt/Discharge/Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Will-o-Wisp/Hidden Power (Fire)
-Pain Split
Nature: Modest
EVs: 112 HP/252 SAtk/144 Spe
Item: Leftovers

Or
-Thunderbolt/Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)
-Trick
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

Last edited:

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
Years
-Blastoise @ Focus Sash
Calm
Torrent
-Rest
-Rapid Spin
-Sleep Talk
-Scald

Blastoise is pretty much good for nothing on this team. And I can't find a move set comfortable enough for him. So either I'm going to completely switch him out or find completely new role for him. Opinions?
I don't know about you, but I've found Abomasnow pretty useful. Mess around with Abomasnow and see if you like it. :)

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years

I don't know about you, but I've found Abomasnow pretty useful. Mess around with Abomasnow and see if you like it. :)

Actually Abomasnow wouldn't really help his team any, just cause it 6% damage each turn. :P

But I second the use of Rotom-W > Jolteon, Jolteon is nice for taking Thunderbolts, but since you've got Excadrill Rotom is a nice option to keep the momentum going (With Volt Switch). It also removes another Earthquake weakness, which is always a good thing.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Sorry for getting to this so late. :[

-Blastoise @ Focus Sash
Calm
Torrent
-Rest
-Rapid Spin
-Sleep Talk
-Scald

Luckily, there are many other Pokemon you can choose from. :3 I think Jellicent can be a good replacement for Blastoise. While it can't use Rapid Spin, it's an excellent Spin Blocker. I also like PLatinumDudes' idea with Rotom-W, which can be a good addition to this team. All that being said, you can go for something like Tentacruel, who can give your team valuable entry hazard support and perform Rapid Spin. Personally, I like the idea of Tentacruel on this team based on how you currently have Blastoise articulated.

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Rain Dish / Liquid Ooze
252 HP / 240 Defense / 16 Speed
Bold [+Defense; -Attack]
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Protect / Ice Beam

Good luck! :D

14Henderson7

Poke'Maniac
Years
Ok so I edited my team. This is the team I am currently going to be testing for a bit...give me your thoughts.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Fusparce

FuNsparce
Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2011
I'm not very great at this, but here is my advice..

On Chandelure, I would run Choice Specs, seeing as it's Special Attack is already massive, it would further boost it. Though, this is only an opinion, seeing that Chandelure is unable to take too many hits. If you do run Specs, though, I would Advise Overheat. It's a lot stronger, but I know a lot of people dislike the stat drop.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
For Rotom, since you're using the Choice set, it's best with max Speed and max Special Attack, since Choice Pokemon have little in the way of defending. Chandelure also needs max Special Attack to make the most out of its 145 Special Attack.

Last edited:

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
Years
Well, Smogon (And PC?) are the only places that have banned Excadrill, if you battle on the PO server you should be fine.

Without Sand Rock Polish Landorus or Terrakion will give you lots of problems (With it Excadrill should take out the latter and hit the former pretty hard). You can fix this by adding CB Azumarill over your Blastoise.

Azumarill@Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
212 HP / 252 Attack / 44 Speed
Aqua Jet
Waterfall
Return / Ice Punch
Superpower

Anyways, pretty nice team you've got there. ^_^

I second this, I run this exact set, and Azumarill is a beast. Make sure you have Huge Power ability also! But if your looking for a spinner Tentacruel is very good for that :P. Your haxorus shouldn't have both SD and DD. Just DD will do, put another move in, I usually run Rock Slide. Use DD of SD esp if you are running an adamant one, also with Haxorus you don't need two dragon moves esp if you run the Lum Berry, it's a similar set I run, like I said I would go for Rock Slide, or something to add more coverage maybe Brick Break for steel types? Your chandy can be used as a revenge killer so don't worry about that too much, for Rotom is your strat to trick the opponents lead with specs? I would also run Max SPA and Max SPE with a Choiced Rotom esp Wash.

Nice team though :) and good luck!

14Henderson7

Poke'Maniac
Years
Edited Rotom and Chandelure. Maxed out SpA on both. Haxorus has Dragon Claw instead of Outrage and I gave him the Expert Belt since most of the time I use him he's Super Effective against someone.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I think Crobat seems a little out of place on this team. Crobat is only good at a few things; being x4 resistant to Fighting, and using Taunt effectively. Choice Band sets are viable... but if you're looking for something that will outspeed most everything and hit hard, you might be better off replacing Crobat with something else. When it comes down to it, if you don't play to Crobat's strengths exclusively, it's outclassed by other Pokemon. Aerodactyl and Deoxys-S come to mind the most.

As an example, I'm going to suggest Deoxys-S, although there are still other Pokemon who can play this role well. There are many different ways to play with Deoxys-S. The set that I feel is most organic to what you're trying to accomplish with Crobat is it's Life Orb set. However, I feel obligated to mention that Deoxys-S is a very, very excellent entry hazard layer and dual screen supporter. So, if you find your team needs support more than offense, let us know and the raters can give you another Deoxys-S set that can suit your needs.

Deoxys-S @ Life Orb
Pressure
12 Attack / 244 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Naive [+Speed; -Special Defense]
- Psycho Boost / Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Superpower

In this case, Deoxys-S makes a very good late game sweeper and revenge killer with it's stellar 180 base Speed and generally diverse movepool. Psycho Boost is your main STAB attack, while Ice Beam and Thunderbolt combine for added coverage. Psychic can be used instead of Psycho Boost if you prefer the reliability over the drop in Special Attack and lower accuracy. 12 EVs are invested in Attack so Superpower can OHKO Tyranitar and deal suitable damage to Blissey. The rest of the EVs are invested in Special Attack and Speed respectively, the latter receiving 252 to outspeed and OHKO all Dragon Dance users at +1. The thing about Deoxys-S is that it can do a lot of stuff. So, if you ever want to try out it's Standard set or Dual Screens, let the raters know and we will be more than willing to help.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
Years
Edited Rotom and Chandelure. Maxed out SpA on both. Haxorus has Dragon Claw instead of Outrage and I gave him the Expert Belt since most of the time I use him he's Super Effective against someone.

Alright that's fine, but why Swords Dance over DD, your already Adamant and DD will help you outspeed you're already powerful, I run a Max Attack Haxorus and even without the attack boost it owns, I predict a switch and go for the DD and DD Haxorus Max Attack is insane

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Alright that's fine, but why Swords Dance over DD, your already Adamant and DD will help you outspeed you're already powerful, I run a Max Attack Haxorus and even without the attack boost it owns, I predict a switch and go for the DD and DD Haxorus Max Attack is insane

Sometimes, Haxorus needs Outrage for causing as much damage as possible. In that case, it can hold Lum Berry to cure the confusion or the status taken while setting up. Personally, I like the double dancer set you had earlier because it has use against offensive teams (with Dragon Dance) and defensive ones (with Swords Dance).

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
Years
Sometimes, Haxorus needs Outrage for causing as much damage as possible. In that case, it can hold Lum Berry to cure the confusion or the status taken while setting up. Personally, I like the double dancer set you had earlier because it has use against offensive teams (with Dragon Dance) and defensive ones (with Swords Dance).

I mentioned my set with Lum Berry earlier as well, eh personally I do fine with just DD and Lum Berry.

Back