• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I think he meant those patches with new palletes, tiles and such...
anyways, on topic, if a newbie's not good at graphics, then yes, a ROM base is a good option, but if the modder/hacker is good at graphics, then there's no need for him/her to use a ROM base...

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
I have another topic. Tell me your opinion, hacking pokemon games is actually hacking or modding?
A friend of mine was bugging me syaing that we're not hacking pokemon games, we're modding them. I don't know if thats true, but i wanted soem opinions.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I think he meant those patches with new palletes, tiles and such...
anyways, on topic, if a newbie's not good at graphics, then yes, a ROM base is a good option, but if the modder/hacker is good at graphics, then there's no need for him/her to use a ROM base...

I know, I'm just saying there are tiles and palettes in said games already.

psychicboy

Hacking is all that matters...
Years
I have another topic. Tell me your opinion, hacking pokemon games is actually hacking or modding?
A friend of mine was bugging me syaing that we're not hacking pokemon games, we're modding them. I don't know if thats true, but i wanted soem opinions.
I'd say these can count as mods, as we are doing just that, modding the game to something diffrent.. But... you could also call what we do haking to depending on how you look at it.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
It's basically the same...
If ya wanna the exact word then I'd bet on word "Modifying"

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
I belive some people hack(which is more asm and hex) and some modify which is script and map editing :l thats just my view

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023

It all depends on how much you do to the rom.
If you keep the standard tiles but you change the maps, I would call that modding. However, if you were to make your own tiles anad insert them with custom maps, I would call that hacking as it is more of your own work.
Anything that is coding based, such as hex & ASM is plain hacking, same goes for scripting as you are creating somethingh totally new and iinserting it into the rom.
Some hacks are more modified than others, and some are very much the same as the original rom in some ways. Not to say that they are better but that less original work has been put in.
All in all, it depends, I mean, the more original you go and more you do to the actual rom the more of a hack it becomes.

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
Years
It all depends on how much you do to the rom.
If you keep the standard tiles but you change the maps, I would call that modding. However, if you were to make your own tiles anad insert them with custom maps, I would call that hacking as it is more of your own work.
Anything that is coding based, such as hex & ASM is plain hacking, same goes for scripting as you are creating somethingh totally new and iinserting it into the rom.
Some hacks are more modified than others, and some are very much the same as the original rom in some ways. Not to say that they are better but that less original work has been put in.
All in all, it depends, I mean, the more original you go and more you do to the actual rom the more of a hack it becomes.

I agree with you for the most part here. I only disagree with the part about tiles. There is nothing wrong with the original tiles. Different tiles aren't going to make the difference between "modifying" and "hacking."

Personally, I see every bit of it as "hacking." Things like new maps and such are only considered "modifying" because it's so easy to open up a map editor and play around. But really, without that map editor, not so many people would be able to map at all. You'd have to have a fairly decent level of hex knowledge to create your own maps.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
no not relay it would just take forever (for me) and you would have no preview of the map so you would constantly be making problems

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I agree with you for the most part here. I only disagree with the part about tiles. There is nothing wrong with the original tiles. Different tiles aren't going to make the difference between "modifying" and "hacking."

Personally, I see every bit of it as "hacking." Things like new maps and such are only considered "modifying" because it's so easy to open up a map editor and play around. But really, without that map editor, not so many people would be able to map at all. You'd have to have a fairly decent level of hex knowledge to create your own maps.

You missed my point. I feel there cant be one general side, like hacking or modding. But I think someone who, makes their own tiles, makes a whole new town with those tiles and uses it in the game, adds to the % of "hacking" in a ROM. At the end of the the day, both terms relate to each other. When hacking, you are doing both. Some elements however, include more hacking than they do modding and vice versa.
The more original you are, the more of a hack it is, and I'm leaving that to interpretation as it can be denied in some cases, but that was a generalisation.

.Seth

.explorer.
Years
Well, when it comes down to it, hacking and modifying are essentially the same thing. Hacking is just used in more of a computer science/networking/illegal type sense. Modifying something is basically changing something. And, as a ROM Hacker, hacking means changing something within the game file, which is essentially modification of said game file. In my opinion, when it comes to our sense of the word, hacking and modifying are the same.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
To be honest I do agree. Though if someone was to really nit pick at the words I would say that hacking is just a more in depth version of modding. Modifying seems to be some what of a weak word if you were to talk about ASM coding or something along those lines. But they are much the same of course! I'm not going to go quoting the dictionary, but on terms of hacking, I feel the more you change the ROM the more you hack. But modding and hacking are effectively the same and barely merit the arguement.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
If nobody believes this girl I will rage.

And if anyone cares, I just pitched a big idea to HackMew. :(

20091017-f33ihscfq91kcxs9ncpbt9knk9.png

Because the fact that it doesn't exist is a bit of a failure. Why doesn't this exist yet? I seriously cannot be the only one to think of it now.
That's... That's... Just plain perfect!
I hope HackMew will accept the idea and maybe implement it into XSE.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Because the fact that it doesn't exist is a bit of a failure. Why doesn't this exist yet? I seriously cannot be the only one to think of it now.
That's correct. You aren't the first to think of it. PKSV already has this (and a better version of it, in my opinion). However, I rarely use PKSV so I suppose having this feature ported to XSE would be helpful.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
After reading that I'm finding it hard to get whether you're trying to be scornful (particularly over pointing out that this is an existing feature) or not. ;x
Yes, I was trying to be scornful, I suppose. In my defense, I didn't do it because I don't like your idea (quite the contrary, actually) but because I didn't like the passive-aggressive way in which you mentioned that you were the first to come up with the idea.
I still think it would be a nice feature though^^

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023

I don't like the fact that it'll make us go lazy in scripting though...
Also, is it just for movements? No text/speeches and whatever?

So this proposed tool is for those who have difficulty to do movement scripts in their hacks?

I don't see it's importance though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back