• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Not to mention her dull performance in the Twilight movies, which is understandable. I also thought Mirror, Mirror got panned by critics for its light-hearted appearance, which brings irony to how Snow White & the Huntsman got panned for messing with the Snow White formula.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Not to mention her dull performance in the Twilight movies, which is understandable. I also thought Mirror, Mirror got panned by critics for its light-hearted appearance, which brings irony to how Snow White & the Huntsman got panned for messing with the Snow White formula.
I'm not sure that Snow White really has a 'formula,' and a change of pace, even in a classic, is refreshing all the same. If the exact same story was told the exact same way with the exact same mood prevalent in all, what kind of profit would it really garner? I think the only thing formulaic that has been preserved (and very well should be) are the themes of true love overcoming all and evil always been trumped, the heart's desires, etc.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I'm not sure that Snow White really has a 'formula,' and a change of pace, even in a classic, is refreshing all the same. If the exact same story was told the exact same way with the exact same mood prevalent in all, what kind of profit would it really garner? I think the only thing formulaic that has been preserved (and very well should be) are the themes of true love overcoming all and evil always been trumped, the heart's desires, etc.

Well I was referring to its light-hearted mood it gained in the later years in media entertainment since its original dark and gritty story.

mikey

Discord Lead
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Not sure why everyone wants to make a movie around Snow White nowadays xD

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I think Huntsman was apart of the many fairy tale/classics remakes, much like Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters and... what was it, Jack the Giant Slayer? As for Mirror > Mirror...

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
It does, and I don't normally say outright that a movie looks 'awful,' but this looks awful. Sometimes I wonder about the future of film and if said future is as bleak as I imagine it is.

mikey

Discord Lead
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Movies now tend to be remakes or horrible prequels/sequels, I feel like they are running out of ideas for new films which is a shame.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Movies now tend to be remakes or horrible prequels/sequels, I feel like they are running out of ideas for new films which is a shame.

Thank you for providing me an example of people demanding pure original blockbuster films and no more movies based on books/comics/TV shows/games/plays and remakes/sequels/reboots.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
Thank you for providing me an example of people demanding pure original blockbuster films and no more movies based on books/comics/TV shows/games/plays and remakes/sequels/reboots.
My dear girl, most films and certainly some of the best films of last year are adaptions of books, plays and comics. If Hollywood were to stop making movies based on books then they'd be lost!

As for a movie I want to see - Taken 2. I recently watched Taken on TV (TBS, if I recall) and it was much better than I thought it was going to be when it was released (what, two years ago?).

I'll spare you the effort and say that Taken 2 is not a movie you really want to see. It's almost a remake of the original Taken, the plot is so similar. Though that's not really my grievance with it, if it's not broken, then don't fix it, yes? My problem with it is that the performances by the cast left something...missing, it looked tired. Neeson actually looked more youthful as the film went on, don't ask me how, but yeah, the film was lacking. Save yourself the energy and watch Die Hard instead.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
My dear girl, most films and certainly some of the best films of last year are adaptions of books, plays and comics. If Hollywood were to stop making movies based on books then they'd be lost!

I know right? But that doesn't stop these vocal audience to ask Hollywood to stop and make only pure original movies.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
I know right? But that doesn't stop these vocal audience to ask Hollywood to stop and make only pure original movies.

And dare I ask where you're going to find an executive or a film studio who will actually listen to these demands? Original films are risks, darling, they're always going to prefer films that are more likely to bring in the cash: movies based on books and plays and whatever.

Besides, it all comes down to your definition of 'original'. Nothing is truly original in the 21st century.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I'll spare you the effort and say that Taken 2 is not a movie you really want to see. It's almost a remake of the original Taken, the plot is so similar. Though that's not really my grievance with it, if it's not broken, then don't fix it, yes? My problem with it is that the performances by the cast left something...missing, it looked tired. Neeson actually looked more youthful as the film went on, don't ask me how, but yeah, the film was lacking. Save yourself the energy and watch Die Hard instead.
Well that's a disappointment.

Speaking of Die Hard, I've been reading up on A Good Day to Die Hard, the newest installment in the series set to be released February 14th, and while it seems like it'll be a somewhat refreshing addition to the series, when was the last time there was not a terrorist plot or something similar set in Russia? Something inside me wishes that focus would be shifted to another part of the world, perhaps somewhere that isn't completely predictable. But I guess that would take effort. Nevertheless, I'm considering going to see it when it comes out.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
Speaking of Die Hard, I've been reading up on A Good Day to Die Hard, the newest installment in the series set to be released February 14th, and while it seems like it'll be a somewhat refreshing addition to the series, when was the last time there was not a terrorist plot or something similar set in Russia? Something inside me wishes that focus would be shifted to another part of the world, perhaps somewhere that isn't completely predictable. But I guess that would take effort. Nevertheless, I'm considering going to see it when it comes out.

I'm totally going to see it when it comes out, if only because the Die Hard is a franchise which is very close to my heart. If not completely wrapped around my heart, that is.
Well, think about it this way. Aside from the Russians, which other nationality of people is most frequently used by Hollywood as the baddies in action movies? Yah, ze Germans! The residents of Deutschland! The Germans have already been taken down in two other Die Hard films, so they can't possibly do them again. I would like to see him take on the Chinese, Mr McClane in the land of the dragons would certainly be an interesting experience.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Besides, it all comes down to your definition of 'original'. Nothing is truly original in the 21st century.

"Original" as in a movie that isn't based off of a book/comic/TV show/game/play nor a remake/reboot/sequel of an already-existing film. Examples of it are Star Wars, Inception, and A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Well, think about it this way. Aside from the Russians, which other nationality of people is most frequently used by Hollywood as the baddies in action movies? Yah, ze Germans! The residents of Deutschland! The Germans have already been taken down in two other Die Hard films, so they can't possibly do them again. I would like to see him take on the Chinese, Mr McClane in the land of the dragons would certainly be an interesting experience.

What about Britain and the Middle East? Americans have fought them in their history too, so wouldn't they be used as enemies for action films?

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
What about Britain and the Middle East? Americans have fought them in their history too, so wouldn't they be used as enemies for action films?
There are already a fair few examples of movies that exploit the British as enemies, such as The Patriot and Jumpin' Jack Flash. While there are also examples of movies with Chinese involvement, they are very few and far between, so another installment with such seems more appropriate in the long run.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
"Original" as in a movie that isn't based off of a book/comic/TV show/game/play nor a remake/reboot/sequel of an already-existing film. Examples of it are Star Wars, Inception, and A Nightmare on Elm Street.
Technically they are actually rebooting the Star Wars series with another installment, so I guess its no longer original by that standard.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Technically they are actually rebooting the Star Wars series with another installment, so I guess its no longer original by that standard.
It's being rebooted with another installment, not a remake. Even if it was being 'remade,' that remake would be dubbed unoriginal/not unique rather than the original six movies. So in essence even after the new movie is released the series will still be 'original.'

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
star-wars-disney.jpg

I feel bad for George Lucas :( He looks so dead inside :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back