• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Really? That positively scared the crap out of me.

I think it's kinky when she scares people.

Harry Potter is okay, I just wish she had had the balls to kill him off.

She did, but then he got better.

So yeah. Writing status update! I have managed to keep up my commitment to writing everyday so far, although the past two days were weak with only a few lines each.

Awesome. You're really cool for keeping that up, so go, man! Go!

All caused by a tiny little UTTERLY SAVAGE AND BLOOD-THIRSTY Zigzagoon. Aww, he's so cute... Until he tears your belly open and starts pulling out your intestines at least. Which does not happen in that battle but would be kickass so I need to fit that in sometime else down the road.

Indeed you do. It's always fun to have something cute and fuzzy turn out to be axe-crazy.

The Gaurdian

a change in your demeanour.
Years
That, Sounds, Cool. Go for it.

I suggest that you add in other minor charaters from random games, SO like Luka(Lost Planet), Master Asia(Dynasty Warriors Gundam), Lizard man(Soul Calibur[2-4]), or maybe even some one else...

I am currently writeing a GUNDAM story for the fun of it, I just want to know if anyone would read it. I dont really have some UBER baddy/ Evil guy yet because I am at the frist chapter(, and that is like 10% done.) and it is set in a Alternitive Universe, No charaters from other seasons or series will pop up.

Bay

Years
Yeah Astinus, like Feign, I actually thought it's fine we can go off topic every once in a while. I'm a detective and I can find proof. :P *gets shot* Then again, I can see why you're warning some of us that this lounge is getting too much like the daily chit chat. Eh, I too see that but I didn't say anything because I would just let them do their own thing here. *shrugs*

Now, so that I don't get scream at...

Awesome, Shrike! Haha, probably more blood-thristy than Sentret using Flamethrower! XD Also, keep up the good work on your writing goal! ^^

As for me, hadn't done any writing the last couple of weeks. Been busy with real life stuff and reviewing fics, especially that Heart and Soul contest at Serebii. *shakes first at 30 entries* XD After things calm down though, I'll try to get both The Last Rocket and another one shot finish before I go to school.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Yeah Astinus, like Feign, I actually thought it's fine we can go off topic every once in a while.

Actually, I'm more inclined to agree with Astinus here. There were times when it did feel like certain kids (not naming names) thought it'd be cool to suddenly just strike up a chat between only each other, therefore shutting out the rest of the FFL. It wasn't even related to writing itself; it was just a failure to realize VMs exist for a reason. If I had a bit more time, I'd go back a week or so ago when I actually said something to the effect of, "Yeah, just so the rest of us can talk about what you guys are going on about, here's a bold topic."

It's not that the off-topic parts felt like the DCC. It's just that the off-topic parts were being brought up by kids who didn't realize that the point of going off-topic a la the DCC was to include everyone, not just a certain circle.

That and, seriously, this is the FFL. The entire "omgomglololololinsane" only really works if the humor is actually funny. Eggs, however, are not funny.

Also not funny? Pointing out that something is random or insane. This is like pointing out that something is going to be a meme or attempting to force something to be a meme, and we all learned what happens when you do that last month when the summary thing went from funny to unfunny in the space of a page.

Yeah, sorry if I sound biting, but... well, yeah. Sorry, kids, but it just reminds me of the times it was trendy on FFNet to down a can of Coke and write crappy crack while blaming it on solely a sugar-high. It was funny at first, but when everyone and their mothers did it...

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
Besides, the most fun I recall having here has usually been somehow related to writing. There was the one time when we talked about writing a FFL musical, and that was hilarious. There was the one time when everyone started doing name poems, and that was also somewhat hilarious. Some fun times have been honestly totally off-topic, but it's still way more fun to have everyone in it. There have been times when I log in just to find two whole pages of crazy, with all the people I know from this thread contributing to it. It just doesn't compare when it seems more like a dialog.

Oh, yeah, and then there was the April Fool's this year. *sigh* Good times, good times.

Anyway, I agree on eggs not being very funny. Also, not that it would've come up lately, but I don't think the "sentret with flamethrowers"-thing would be funny anymore. There's always a place and a time for funny, and quite frankly, neither of them come if forced.

Then again, I also thought it was fine if we went totally off-topic every once in a while. But, I still agree that it might be a bit unfriendly towards, say, new members or people with something on-topic to say. If I had just started writing here a week ago, I wouldn't have the balls to come in the middle of an egg-discussion to ask something about fanfiction.

Long story short: what Jax and Bay said. There's a time and a place for off-topicness, and while it is in this thread to some limit (the time for it being, based on my observations, "while Aurincha is asleep"), we shouldn't overdo it.

Also, I'm getting a bit worried, since I haven't been able to write much anything for the past two months or so. I have a ton of ideas, but I seem to have lost my ability to write altogether. And it's not just English, but Finnish too... I know everyone has writer's blocks and problems on keeping their focus on specific stories, but mine have never lasted this long. I don't want to ask questions like "OMG I have a writer's block please tell me what to do thx" because no-one can really answer those, but any hints on how to overcome this would be greatly appreciated. That, or you can promise me something shiny if I manage to write something. I like shiny objects (that's probably the core of my problem, eh?).

Bay

Years
Eh, I decided to throw in that Sentret joke because Shirke's mention of Zigzagoon reminds me of that, nothing more. Not trying to bring it back or anything. *shrugs* At this moment, I don't care if I'm the only one chuckling to myself over that comparison. Bah, this is what you get for only having five hours of sleep and waking up in seven in the morning-- having people criticize bringing up a joke again. :/

And Jax, I get it now, but meh, I don't think it's that big of a problem. A little annoying, yes, but I don't think we have to make a huge deal. A small warning to those that are running the show in the lounge is good enough. Then again, part of me just don't care as I'm busy with a lot of things at this moment.

All righty, enough rants of dialogue in the lounge here...

Hm Aurincha, usually how I overcome that is either I find inspiration or just write scenes that I'm excited about. On the inspiration, I would watch either TV shows or movies that dealt with FBI/CIA/detective/police work as NE has a lot of those themes. Also I would read history books or watch historical documentaries/movies as I also have a lot of historical references put in. As for writing scenes that I'm excited about, I do that to NE many times as sometimes I have trouble with the beginning, but after I write an action/suspense scene that I'm excited about, I'm able to write the beginning much more easily. Not sure if those would work for you, but you can try if you want.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
Oh, I didn't actually even notice you used it! I'm so sorry... xD Really, I didn't notice at all. And the comparison is funny. So, yeah, I apologize if I made you feel bad about that, because it absolutely wasn't my intention. And, I also have to mention that I don't mind any casual now-and-then reminders of old jokes. I think they are funny. But, back then we used the joke all the time, and I don't think that would work anymore. Again, so sorry!

Also, maybe I should clarify what my problem with writing is... Thanks for the tips, I shall put them to use later on, but they won't help me now. You see, the problem is that I have inspiration but still can't write! It's killing me, seriously. I came up with a really cool sci-fi setting the other day, and I just want to write it so much, but nothing comes out. I open my Wordpad and start thinking for a beginning, maybe write a few words, but nothing real comes out. I try to continue an old story, but still nothing comes out. I don't know what's bothering me... -_-'' Maybe I'm stressed or something? And it's not about being too critical either, I just honestly can't make the words flow from my mind like they usually do. I don't get it!

Also, I've heard about that "write the exciting parts first"-thingy before... But somehow I've never been able to bring myself to actually do it. I feel like I should write in the order one reads the story, and I don't know why. Maybe I'm just a bit stupid and stubborn that way :laugh: I should force myself to do it sometimes. But, all of this has made a question pop in my mind.

Do you usually write in the order you feel like writing or in the order people are going to read your story?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I would have clarified more what I meant by my post, but once again, Val has read my mind and said what I would have said.

Do you usually write in the order you feel like writing or in the order people are going to read your story?
A little bit of both.

I mostly write my story in the order that people will read it. This way, I know how the characters will develop from point A to point B, where the plot is going, and essentially everything I can learn from writing in order. Sometimes, though, there are scenes that I want to write down because they won't get out of my head and I'll lose them, so I write those down in the bare minimum and then keep them aside until I get to the point where they fit in.

An-chan, I know exactly how you feel, by the way. There have been times when I sat down at my desk with the will to write, and nothing can come out. I just attributed it to the fact that my mind was either too stressed or too tired to act coherent enough to form words.

Bay

Years
Like Astinus, a little of both. NE I wrote it in order so that the plot runs smoothly. Part two, however, there were some parts that I got stuck on how to write the beginning, so I just write the next scene first to see if I can write some sort of foreshadowing at the beginning later, and then after that I go back finish up the previous scene. In fact, for NE's prequel one shot, I have been writing the ending scenes first and then I got ideas on how to write the beginning scenes.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
And Jax, I get it now, but meh, I don't think it's that big of a problem. A little annoying, yes, but I don't think we have to make a huge deal. A small warning to those that are running the show in the lounge is good enough.

I don't want to downplay how annoying it is, but let's just say that it probably did deserve just that post (which is a pretty minor reminder compared to, say, using the announcement system or writing it in the rules), just because it actually happened frequently enough to annoy the crap out of more than one person.

You see, the problem is that I have inspiration but still can't write!

Ugh. I hate it when that happens. It's the entire reason why I can't write original fiction at the moment.

In any case, what might work is just writing down everything that pops into your mind, regardless of whether it's good or bad. Maybe even set a daily goal for yourself like Shrike has and try to push yourself to come up with ideas to meet it. I know. It's not a good idea to force yourself to write when you absolutely can't, but it might help to write down exactly what's running through your head.

What might also help is opening up a blank document. You've got the image of your setting, but your question is, "Okay, so what happens here?" Maybe write down a detailed description of the setting and then populate it with characters. I mean, for a sci-fi fling, you've probably got an unusual cast. Knowing who and what they are might lead you to a story in that once you figure out races and/or occupations, you'll be able to figure out how they'd interact with one another. Somewhere in here, you can pick a mood, and once you get all of that, boom. Story.

Point is, first, you've got to motivate yourself to write. Second, you've got a really awesome setting you want to use, so that's the main key. Use it as a basis for everything you do, rather than come up with a separate storyline that also happens to take place around it.

I tend to write linearly -- as in, from start to finish, which I guess would be the order in which it's supposed to be read. In some cases, I'll write parts of scenes or dialogue that will be used later, but for the bulk of it, I just go through time for the same reasons Asty does.

There's only one notable exception, which was Bloom. The backstory was written first; the main story was written last. That's because Bloom is temporally screwed up anyway, so it really didn't matter what order I wrote it in so long as it made sense.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013

Depends. If I have a scene that I've forgotten before and just remembered, then I'll write it down and save it for later. But really, what I've taken to doing lately is writing a paragraph-long summary of the first... ten chapters or so on Word, and then start writing those. While writing, I'll come up with some way I can improve the current chapter, improve a chapter I've prepared, or even write an entirely new one, and I'll add or modify said chapter's entry on the list.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
And that is why I also love Valentine XD (trust me when I say this isn't sarcasm, and anyway, it's impossible to tell sarcasm on the internet).

On another note I haven't worked much on my fic because I've been working mostly, I have the day off tomorrow, so we'll see what happens. I kind of would like to get more of it written, and not have it be updated every month, when I see others have theirs up every other day (not that I'd try to go for quantity over quality) but just that I'd want something up. But this next chapter should be more exciting, I mean on one side happy things are happening in the past, while not so good things in the present.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
I will very occasionally do a scene out of order, but it will never be too far down the line. For the most part, I'll write it in the order that you read it.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023

(forgot to answer!)

I'll only write in the order the story is. I might have ideas for later on, but will not write them down. It is part of the reason I take so long getting my fic up. XD

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
Does anyone here own a/some domain name/s? If so, what are they and where/when did you get them?
*points to "Site" link in sig*

I got it in 2005 for my site because the previous URL was too hard to remember for everybody who does not regularly see the name "Vilhjálmur" and domains make sites seem more important.

How clear cut are your villains and heroes? Do you like them to be rigid opposites, or closer, with the line between good and evil blurred?
The Quest for the Legends does not precisely have any villains. There are antagonistic characters, in that they are what stands between the protagonists and success at reaching their goal, but none of them are precisely villainous; they're variously confused, spoiled or skeptical of the validity of said goal.

Morphic's villains are religious extremists, and the main characters range from atheists to moderately religious, though the most prominently atheistic character also happens to be a jerkass, so definitely not a rigid opposite of the antagonists.

Generally I find both clear-cut heroism and villainy kind of boring, so I tend to stay away from it.

I force myself to write in order because then I use the prospect of getting to write the exciting parts as incentive to write all the less exciting parts that come before them. I have on occasion written stray scenes ahead of time, but I try not to unless I think I've got some seriously good words to use that I think I'll forget otherwise.

txteclipse

The Last
Years

I write my stories in order, i.e. one sequential chapter at a time (what does "i.e." mean, anyways?). In other words, both simultaneously.

You see, the problem is that I have inspiration but still can't write!
Welcome to the last six months of my life. I need to have my body surgically attached to my writing chair, I think.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
i.e. is latin

I'll look it up but it basically means 'example', that is why you also see 'ex.' and 'eg':

id est (i.e.) that is "That is (to say)" in the sense of "that means" and "which means", or "in other words", or sometimes "in this case", depending on the context; may be followed by a comma, or not, depending on style (American English and British English respectively).
exempli gratia (e.g.) 'for the sake of example' Usually shortened in English to 'for example' (see citation signal). Often confused with id est (i.e.).[3]
Exempli gratia,'for example', is commonly abbreviated 'e.g.'; in this usage it is sometimes followed by a comma, depending on style.[4]

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
It's not necessarily interchangeable with e.g. In fact, i.e. means (as stated above) 'that is'. In other words, you're clarifying the previous point, i.e. expanding on it. When you use e.g. you're providing an example to back up the preceding point.

I write from start to finish. I haven't written a scene out of order yet, although the temptation is sometimes great.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Btw guys, I wonder if this should have its own thread, but there should almost be a 'practice your pokemon fight writing skills' post, where people can write a controlled battle, and others can point out the good and bad things, so that it can be improved upon.

I haven't had much experience writing out a strict pokemon battle so I figured if it can be helped. XD

After all, one of the more difficult things in Pokemon fanfic writing is the actual fighting.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
After all, one of the more difficult things in Pokemon fanfic writing is the actual fighting.
. . . which is why I avoid Pokemon battles like the plague. Seven chapters I've posted now, and not one battle. Just a big explosion.

I dunno, it could be a good idea. You should probably ask Astinus before you start it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back