Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation
Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Old November 29th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Sopheria
Your Favorite Senpai
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky

Advertise here
Unfortunately, I've found that Shedinja has very little competitive use. I was so excited to use it for the first time, because I thought it was like, almost invincible with its wonder guard. Boy was I wrong. All the types that can harrm it--fire, flying, ghost, rock, and dark--are pretty common types. Plus you never know what types of moves a Pokemon has. A good example of this was when I got a nasty surprise of a Weezing that knew flamethrower. But the nail that seals the coffin for Shedinja is that it is instantly defeated by residual damage. This means that if it gets confused, poisoned, burnt, hurt by sandstorm damage, or leech seeded, Shedinja's done for. Too much uncertainty.

But in the rare instant when you come across an opponent who doesn't have any moves of that type, and has no way of inflicting residual damage, Shedinja is literally untouchable. But sending Shedinja out into an unknown situation is basically like playing Russian Roulette.

But on the bright side, Ninjask is a great Pokemon. In my opinion, it's one of the best in Gen III.

Also on the bright side, Shedinja is by far the easiest Pokemon to EV train. HP, defense, and special defense are basically useless. So just put it all in speed and attack (most of its attacks are ghost attacks, which are physical).
Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:27 PM
Mara
All your base are belong to us

Nature: Rash
Shedinja is very unique. When I first got I used it for a while to try it out. No other pokemon has only 1 hp. xD
Old December 4th, 2013, 08:07 AM
ryemck

What's so good about Shedinja? I thought all bugs weren't good at all (besides Scyther)
Old December 5th, 2013, 11:06 AM
SmashinSwellow

Nature: Calm
I think that shedinja is a very interesting pokemon that I actually use a lot because if I am very familiar with a certain trainer, most of the time gym leaders, I can know with certainty if this trainer has a move that shedinja is weak to and therefor know whether to use it or not. I like to troll my friends with it because I know there pokemon and there tendencies really well
The one, the only, the awesome...
Old December 5th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Sopheria
Your Favorite Senpai
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryemck View Post
What's so good about Shedinja? I thought all bugs weren't good at all (besides Scyther)
You must not have played any games past Gen I. There's plenty of very good bug Pokemon, and bug-type moves are some of the best moves in the game.
Old December 5th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Flakey Bear
Just watch it.

Nature: Relaxed
Shedinja is an OK Pokémon, since there are some things i like about it. First, i like the ghost-bug type combination, it reminds me like a dead bug who was revived for taking revenge. However, the downside is that the combination is very weak. Second, the Wonder Guard ability. This ability is a good way to protect it from non-effective and normal moves. There is one thing i don't like, however, and that's the 1 HP it has.

Overall, this Pokémon is perfect if you wanna go on a sweep.
Stuff About FlakeyBear

Currently Playing (PC):
Euro Truck Simulator 2. Still have to get past the quick jobs.
Currently Playing (DS):
FIFA 09, or Pokemon Diamond because Battle Corner.I should insert more.
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
I say ninjask and shedinja are a great pair to add to your party. I have both on my ruby right now. Shedinja is really no good against real people but it's not bad against stupid NPCs.

Wonder Trade!!!
Old December 27th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
I think it's a great gimmick Pokemon as far as gimmicks go. And a well trained one can be really useful come capturing legendries, with the use of False Swipe (never did this personally). But that's as far as it goes honestly. 1 HP left it extremely suspect to weather and status, which in competitive is pretty much ubiquitous. Only gets worse in the later generations, with field hazards and such. Definitely an interesting Pokemon, though.
Old December 28th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Spys
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Lax
I really don't mind Shedinja that much. Im using it in my Soulsilver team, and its a great thrill using it! So in my opinion, I like Shedinja, its not a bad Pokémon at all.
Keep dreaming, my friend.
Old January 12th, 2014, 08:54 PM
DowntownDumpling

Nature: Quiet
I don't find Shedinja very useful, honestly. There are five types that insta-kill it, some of them common ones. Its stats and movepool aren't anything to write home about, either.
"Spend a little time each day tricking out your obituary."
-Me
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

It looks pretty cool though

Wonder Trade!!!
Old January 13th, 2014, 01:48 AM
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinta77 View Post
It looks pretty cool though
Quote:
Originally Posted by emberjed View Post
I don't find Shedinja very useful, honestly. There are five types that insta-kill it, some of them common ones. Its stats and movepool aren't anything to write home about, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spys View Post
I really don't mind Shedinja that much. Im using it in my Soulsilver team, and its a great thrill using it! So in my opinion, I like Shedinja, its not a bad Pokémon at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I think it's a great gimmick Pokemon as far as gimmicks go. And a well trained one can be really useful come capturing legendries, with the use of False Swipe (never did this personally). But that's as far as it goes honestly. 1 HP left it extremely suspect to weather and status, which in competitive is pretty much ubiquitous. Only gets worse in the later generations, with field hazards and such. Definitely an interesting Pokemon, though.
Yeah Shedninja is a good looking and a Pokemon with a good gimmick. But don't you guys know that Shed ninja is a flop idea in battle. With only 1 hp its wrost actually. If we don't go to its ghost looking spirit personality everything is bad actually.But yeah he could learn good moves but not useful.
Old January 13th, 2014, 02:15 AM
Retribution
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Shedninja is, let's say intriguing.

To think that it appears when you evolve your Nincada to Ninjask when caught in a Pokeball.
I freaked out when I saw Shedninja in my party, thinking that it is a Pokemon not to be obtained normally, a glitch that is. I never had Shedninja before THAT happened so that explains why I freaked out and thought of that.

Anyway, it's not half bad for a bug type.
Besides, it can be good, not as good as Ninjask though.
Old January 13th, 2014, 02:57 AM
Treetwig
Banned for being awesome

Nature: Jolly
Lol I named my shedinja "Trollninja" for having a double team,Mud slap,Will o wisp and toxic moveset XD
3ds: 2466-2894-1755
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:16 AM
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetwig View Post
Lol I named my shedinja "Trollninja" for having a double team,Mud slap,Will o wisp and toxic moveset XD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unidentified View Post
Shedninja is, let's say intriguing.

To think that it appears when you evolve your Nincada to Ninjask when caught in a Pokeball.
I freaked out when I saw Shedninja in my party, thinking that it is a Pokemon not to be obtained normally, a glitch that is. I never had Shedninja before THAT happened so that explains why I freaked out and thought of that.

Anyway, it's not half bad for a bug type.
Besides, it can be good, not as good as Ninjask though.
oh..... that also happen to me. I Was confused what it was. Later i got my answer in net.
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

So they released a speed boost torchic... I wanna see a legit pokemon other than Shedinja with wonder guard. I mean there are so many ways to get past wonder guard now, plus as long as they don't give it to a ghost/dark type it'll be ok.

Wonder Trade!!!
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Smeargle
Keep it Artsy :)

Send a message via Skype™ to Smeargle
sableye with wonderguard, that would be some intense stuff
Old January 27th, 2014, 09:58 PM
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent

Did you guys got a little harder to make it a team member ? As it only have 1 hp.
Old January 30th, 2014, 01:10 AM
She_Delphox
Delphox used Mystical Fire!

Nature: Modest
I have to say, when I was just a kid playing R/S/E games for the first time, and the first time I got myself a Shedinja, I thought it was a glitch because it just had 1HP! xD I thought: Whaaaaat?! You can't be serious, but then I noticed in combination with his ability, Wonder Guard, it's doesn't really matter (Therefore, Shedinja can only be attacked by moves that are super-effective on him)

I like the unique way in which you can obtain Shedinja, and it kinda makes sense why Shedinja is a Bug/Ghost type because of this (like this type combination too). I never saw the opportunity though to actually train one or have a Shedinja in my team, but I might as well try it out sometime!
Pokemon X and Pokemon Y in-game name: Mirthe
Friend Safari: Electric (Pikachu - Electrode - Luxio)

Currently playing: Pokemon ORAS Demo | ORAS countdown: 39 days
Signature and Avatar made by: © She_Delphox

Old February 1st, 2014, 08:04 AM
Nordk
Chief Harpoonist

I think Shedinja's pretty good if you get it early on and grind it like crazy to keep it a number of levels above what you expect to encounter. I caught myself a Nincada outside of Rusboro and got it to level 20 at Slateport, it and Ninjask are the most powerful Pokemon on my team right now in Emerald.

This are serious forum.
Always be serious.
Old February 5th, 2014, 02:49 AM
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent

She_Delphox is right in a way Shedninja is too convenient at a way. I also taught same as you. I taught it gotta be a glitch but later in net i knew that its how its created.
Old February 7th, 2014, 12:15 PM
smdp15

루기아 is completely right. i love the idea of him and how hes immune to anything not super effective, but he is a gamble
FC: 4270-1508-4479 Add me!
Old February 9th, 2014, 12:40 AM
Armand
The Wild Eagle

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphadora View Post
Shedinja is quite a simple Pokémon, design-wise. It's just a shed of skin that Nincada left over when evolving into Ninjask. When it comes to battling, however, Shedinja has gotta be one of the most complex Pokémon that you would ever be able to come across. d: It's got only a single HP, and its overall stats are extremely low. It doesn't have too much of a big movepool, either. It does have an ability known as "Wonder Guard," though, which protects it from any move that it's not super-effective to. Veteran players may have some knowledge on what this Pokémon's weaknesses are and such, but those who are new (most likely) may not, which would give them a hard time when they try to take Shedinja down. Personally, I haven't used this Pokémon in any of my battles, but I might do it at some point in the future!

Nice Answer

Anyway, I think Shedinja's useless, many weak points, 1HP that makes any defense stats useless especially during weather obstacles, and mainly, I Just Don't Like It's Design or Anything Related To It!!

Shedinja's a mess in my opinion , with abologies to anyone who likes that pokemon
My All Star Team

Dragonite
Espeon
Infernape
Charizard
Latias
Leafeon

Last edited by Armand; February 9th, 2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:29 AM
11jphillipps

the first time i saw shedinja, i though as well "cool a pokemon with an awsome skill", i thought it would be a great idea to use skill swap for my grumpig, man was i wrong, skill swap dont work on your own pokemon, man did i get pi**ed
Go Umbreon!!
Old March 29th, 2014, 10:47 AM
AoTora

I like Shedinja's design and it's typing - I've never used one just yet though - Mainly because I am afraid that it would be dead most of the time - but I might use one next time I play R/S/E again
I don't care about EV's or IV's - I play for fun not competitive.
I don't own consoles - I play on emulators on my computer.

Do what you believe in and believe in what you do. All else is a waste of energy and time ~ Nisargadatta.

Love is the only power that can change an enemy into a friend. ~ Martin Luther King.

I am a fan of Criminal Minds, Crossing Jordan and some other series. I am also Harry Potter fan and Disney fan (I love Frozen!) - I also like other animes beside Pokemon.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here