• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
If I change the title screen, I certainly won't make it say "Throwback Edition." Although I'm happy of the work I've done, the impression of authenticity and officialness are important to me. I'd probably give it a name fitting of an official release from Game Freak (or any RPG developer, for that matter) if they were to theoretically make a one-version game. The hack will still hold that name, of course. Other changes would include completely replacing the accompanying graphics with a more version-agnostic alternative.
Sounds good.

And, if you haven't looked at the Wild Locations guide yet, you'll notice that many of the changes in Wild Pokémon have taken both Japanese Blue and Yellow into account. You'll find Jynx at the Seafoam Islands and Lickitung in Cerulean Cave, for example. And, if you're (un)lucky, you may stumble upon a Pidgeotto in the Viridan Forest. These are just a few of many examples.
I hadn't looked yet. But that all sounds good and exactly right.

I don't want to replace existing trades for a couple of reasons. First, there are only nine trades in the game, and ten Pokémon throughout the first two generations that evolve through trade. This alone obviously makes this approach unsatisfactory. And second, the Pokémon you receive won't be yours, but that of an NPC in the game. I want all obtainable Pokémon to be yours, not someone else's. That's not considering that this would make Johto Pokémon accessible before you complete the game...or at least screw people over who try to make those trades before the post-game (the same National Dex rules as FR/LG apply in my hack).
Good points

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Yo Richter, I don't know if you uh, meant for Mew to continually respawn until you leave the island for good, but it does. Maybe the script doesn't set a flag unique to its ID?
Well, Mew is supposedly the ancestor of all Pokémon, so who's to say it didn't make another of itself right before your battle ended? {XD}

This appears to be a bug brought about through my code cleanup. It actually applies to the Johto legendary trio as well. Thanks for the find, I'll get it fixed when I have time.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Version 3.5.1 is up!

All this version does is fix the event legendary issue as reported by Cruztown (thanks!). Well, that and one more thing with Mew's map. Don't be on the same maps as Mew/Raikou/Entei/Suicune when you make your saves!

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Aj Harold

The champ
Years
Good Idea! I like the idea and good job done I'd say!

I have a suggestion that you should also make Hoenn and sinnoh pokemon Available to make it more Spicy!

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Have you considered to replace the Pokemon sprites and/or add mega-evolutions?

I had started work on modifying the G/S/C sprites for use in this hack, but I stopped that pretty early on. There are a few images I posted for them some pages back. I wouldn't consider porting sprites from later games into Throwback, as they use an altered art style and shading from the original games. I want to keep the game's roots in its classic form and add features from the later games that are appropriate and don't change the game's mechanics at large.

As for your other suggestion, read on.

Good Idea! I like the idea and good job done I'd say!

I have a suggestion that you should also make Hoenn and sinnoh pokemon Available to make it more Spicy!
Spicy, you say?

Spoiler:

The point of this hack is to create the best, most faithful version of the 1st Gen games possible while not extending far out of the bounds of the initial remake (FR/LG). Adding Pokémon from later generations, especially those beyond Hoenn, would defeat the purpose of that. Where would I even put them, anyways? The main areas of the game need to strictly hold Kanto creatures, otherwise the experience won't feel as true to the original game. This doesn't leave a lot of room for the Johto Pokémon, which are all in the Sevii Isles. However, I can at least keep them because the base game makes use of them in the first place, and they still elicit similar nostalgic tones as the original 151.

The same can be said for new mechanics as can be said for new Pokémon. I never included the Physical/Special split because that radically changes how the game is played and makes different strategies necessary. I'd even partially say the same thing for abilities. I'd have implemented a way to make both of those things toggle-able if I knew how to do that (or if that is even possible). And mega-evolutions? I haven't been paying attention to the hacking scene since X/Y released, but have there even been any hacks that implemented that? It'd fit in the same category as the other examples.

That said, people are free to add these features into the game after using my patches if they please. I just have no plans to put them in unless I learn of a way to make them not mandatory.

For those curious, I have put some work into another patch for the hack. As some of you may have noticed, in the GB music patch the noise instruments are only roughly approximated. Well, I've since found the data in the original Red ROM that holds what precise noises play for each of them and have fixed the sounds in the hack accordingly. Sans a couple of problem tracks, I'd say they're actually now the most accurate tracks in the songs they're in!

I also plan to take another look at modulation in the square and triangle tracks to make them even more accurate. Beyond that, who knows what I might do for this hack? :)

Years
  • Age 53
  • Seen Aug 19, 2023
I am really enjoying your hack so far but I did find a bug . The TM on the first floor of Mt. moon, bullet seed I think, keeps on respawning whenever I pick it up.

Years
As I really want to download this, I couldn't. It says in google chrome that dldropboxusercontent maybe an attacker and won't allow me to access it. The same happened in Internet Explorer. Can you move the download link? Mediafire is good.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I am really enjoying your hack so far but I did find a bug . The TM on the first floor of Mt. moon, bullet seed I think, keeps on respawning whenever I pick it up.
Ah, yes. When I was testing the fixed TM-get fanfare, I removed the ID for that TM for easy access to it. I must have forgot to add it back before releasing the update. I'll fix that come next release, but for now you can enjoy unlimited Bullet Seed!

As I really want to download this, I couldn't. It says in google chrome that dldropboxusercontent maybe an attacker and won't allow me to access it. The same happened in Internet Explorer. Can you move the download link? Mediafire is good.
Odd, I have no issues downloading it regardless of what browser I'm using (my main one is Firefox, but IE didn't have any issues with it). You're also the first person to have any sort of issue with this. You sure it's not your antivirus or internet security program(s) falling for a red herring?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Version 3.6 is now online!

PLEASE MAKE SURE NONE OF YOUR HEAVLIY-RELIED-ON SAVE STATES HAVE 8-BIT MUSIC PLAYING BEFORE YOU APPLY THE NEW PATCH (switch back to the Advanced music and re-save the state first).

Amongst all the Twitch Plays Pokemon insanity, I was able to crank out one more update for Throwback. What did I decide to update, you ask? Why, the tunes that are now ingrained into their heads of
people who've been paying too much attention to the stream, of course! This update alters the 8-bit tunes played through the GB Player item to be even more accurate to the original tunes. The noise instrument tracks, for instance, have been edited entirely. It also fixes a couple of bugs from the previous version.

Changelog

Spoiler:

Have fun!

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I've added a video demonstrating the GB Player item to the OP.

In case anyone was wondering what the tracks sounded like in the hack, now you can get a sample of it before applying the patch to your game!

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Version 3.6.1 Update

So, it looks like I was caught with my pants down when I uploaded v3.6. Here's a quick fix for an embarrassing error I made. Hopefully there aren't any more, but this deserves an immediate update due to how awful I think it is.

Changelog

Spoiler:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Are you planning any other major changes?
Well, I don't see why I wouldn't want to implement other things! It's just that many of those things will require a lot of time and learning to add to the game. I still want to do something about trade-evolved Pokémon that makes it so they still evolve through trade, but can be simulated in regular play. Plus I should consider how to add Celebi to the game.

Ultimately I think it's safe to say there won't be any major updates to Throwback for the immediate future. I'll keep supporting it and try to fix any issues you all run into. If other big features come, they'll be done gradually over time.

Years
  • Age 53
  • Seen Aug 19, 2023
I am still loving the hack, but I've noticed something and I have a question.

In battle, when selecting an attack some of the attack's types are still capitalized (fighting, electric) which turns out is even more annoying that when they were all capitalized :-)

Secondly, do any other pokemon hold sun stones besides sunkerns? I'm hoping to get one off an oddish. Thank you so much for your work.

Back