• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

mineox100

Hey.
Years
What's the last two sprites' game? It looks awesome! Just don't like the color though.
And the Crystal sprite looks like it's waving at me. :P

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I'm guessing it's Platinum, I'm really not sure though cause I can't read Japanese lol.
edit - Ok I looked it up and it's the 5th gen sprites, all of them. And the orangy one is the shiny.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Crystal's Pikachu sprite is actually cute. That's such a difficult thing for me to admit, lol. :(

mineox100

Hey.
Years
I'm guessing it's Platinum, I'm really not sure though cause I can't read Japanese lol.
edit - Ok I looked it up and it's the 5th gen sprites, all of them. And the orangy one is the shiny.

I thought this was the 5th Gen sprite:
025.gif

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Myeah the whole lower row is, but in Platinum they have a different animation and those last two are those frames. This is one of the first Silver sprites I actually like lol.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Is that really from B2W2? That's huge! :| You should have found a better Pokemon though lololol. But seriously, that is huge. I can't wait to see that thing animated. Wow. But it's slightly cut off, which is why I'm a bit skeptical as to how that can be an official sprite.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
641T.png
642T.png
645T.png

Actually, it says that they're exactly 96x96, no more or less. o3o
I just inspected every element of them, and yeah, they fit the maximum.
I quite like the sprites, especially Thundurus'. People say it's more of a dragon, when I think it looks more feline than anything else. o3o

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If it had cute lil ears, I might think so. ;3 And ummmm in that post before my last one, there was a different sprite with the wings spread. You changed it, bro. D; It might have just been a fan sprite.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2013
The sprites are certainly bigger if you take into account their animations:
Spoiler:

I like the little wing spread thing therian-Tornadus does :3

Halcyon

peace and serenity
Years
HUGE NEWS:
641-s.png

This BW2 sprite is larger than 96x96! Isn't that awesome? :D

If it's true, then yes, it is! ^^ I hope we don't have to worry about Pokemon posing at a really weird angle, just to fit the size limit anymore, like some of the pre-BW back sprites (Crobat, Machamp, etc).

However, speaking of Therian Formes, I like Thundurus' and Landorus' more compared to Tornadus'. I always thought Tornadus' Therian Forme look kind of funny. o__o He doesn't seem fitting for a bird in my opinion.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I hate that color scheme for a bird, so it's not really the bird form that bothers me, just the fact that Tornadus is that puke green and toxic purple color. Gross.

And this is an old thread, so most pictures likely have broken image links now. No big deal. It's not something I would bother going around and fixing.

Years
Dustox' sprite.

What is the deal with its back sprite? It's always bugged me how it looks like they forgot to draw the other half.

Spr_b_3r_269.png

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yeah, that's how they used to be lol. Though I kinda agree. I wish there was at least a bit more of the Dustox. That backsprite kinda implies that it's laying down on the ground or something. Beautifly got better backsprite treatment. WAY better treatment.

Spr_b_3r_267.png

Heck, it's only missing a few pixels, but basically, its whole body is there. Poor Dustox. :( Looks like it got corrected in gen IV though.

Spr_b_4d_269_m.png

blue

gucci
Years
078.png
078.png

Comparing these two, although Black and White's is much more up to date, I prefer the pose from Red & Blue, it makes Rapidash look more radiant and graceful. Don't get me wrong they both look great it's just the current one is kind of predictable and well average.

Candra Software

PKHeX User
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 29, 2017
GBA Sprite Comparison

Recently, I was working on a utility in Game Maker that allows one to compare the sprites of RS, FRLG, and E. When I was cycling between Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald, I found a few differences in about 43 Pokémon sprites as listed in the following spoiler.

Spoiler:

For a few examples, Wartortle is blue in Ruby/Sapphire while in Emerald he looks purple like in Fire Red and Leaf Green. Also, Cubone's "fingernails" aren't visible in his Ruby/Sapphire sprite.

Last edited:

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
Years
The Rapidash sprite has a much better pose in Gen 1. I think i like the Crystal one better though.
Spr_2c_078.gif

Back