• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokémon XENOTIME

Status
Not open for further replies.

phosphate5

Random little kid
Years
Ok, never mind. The exit of the pokemon center in kindlewood gets you stuck anyway. So it's a non-healing, game-ruining pokemon center.
Also… Bug Catcher Matt's second Caterpie (or maybe third) knows water gun?! And it did 0 damage once, which should be impossible. Bug Catcher Matt's third (or maybe fourth) Caterpie knows growl. And pound.

There's also a male bug catcher named Ashley :/

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Hoothoots only appear during the DAY.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Yes it's possible...it's easy. Get to Kindlewood Town and thats it. It's like, 3 towns, a route and a dungeon.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Can I just say that this looks even more brilliant than it did last year?

I've downloaded the demo, and hope to play it tomorrow...I won't complain about bugs, unless it crashes my computer though - I'll leave that to people who understand bugs / glitches :)

Years
Ok, ive just crashed 4 times leading up to the first town ..Just wondering if there isnt a major bug that you couldnt go past

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
Ok, I was going to release v0.3 of the beta a few days ago, but I'm going to delay it. This is because I'm adding a few new features, like shadows for the people and Pokémon and a few GUI changes.

Thanks for all of the comments guys, but I just don't have enough time to reply to all of them right now. If you really want to know something then V/PM me or pikarich.

shadowtogepi

I nct'a lelt fi 'mi ogdo.
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Oh My God the demo has finally been released! (5 months late... but i'm gonna let it slide)
I'm going to play it right now!

RulerArceus

的なインターネッ? ??の最高級!
Years
Hi!
I played this game,and when I get my starter after the glitch talking like 3 million times, she's blocking the stairway.I couldn't continue the game,and you can't talk to the professor.
So yeah.
~RulerArceus

flamemaster

No school like the old school
Years
  • MI
  • Seen Mar 23, 2016
got some glitches to report. first, when i fought a starly in the first route its sprite was facing the wrong way, second, when you enter the pokemon center, nurse joy instantly talks to without you going up to her, then after she heals your pokemon once she refuses to talk to you. and lastly, if you try to go down the stairs to the flooded place you can. anyways thats all i found right now so bye.
flamemaster~

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
Update!

No update in a long while, in fact maybe the longest ever, but hopefully it was worth it!

blazeknight-94sprites.png

First up, these amazingly brilliant sprite revamps by blazeknight-94 of the first three baby Pokémon. The last two are one Pokémon, which look different by gender. And for those who don't know, here's a description of the baby 'mon feature:
Once you defeat a gym leader, you will receive a hint to the where abouts of a baby Pokémon. To get the 'mon you'll have to try and figure out what the hint meant. Maybe a riddle.

They're really good in my opinion, so what do you think?​

Newroute2screens.png

Second part of the update, from the yet to be revealed route 3! Sadly, there's a way to access this route in the demo which shouldn't be there, so you may already have seen it xD Anyway, this route will be available in v2.0 of the demo. These screens also demonstrate the new resolution which XENOTIME will be using, it's basically just the same as before, but 16:9. This'll allow the game to be played in full screen on 16:9 monitors. And doesn't he look cute in his little umbrella?

menudarker-1.png

Just a small preview of the brand new menu system which will be available in v2.0 of the demo. It's designed for ease of use, with all of the controls in generally the same space on all of the different parts of the menu. The X button acts like a kind of home button, bringing you back to the menu. The colour will change on different parts but the overall art style will be the same. What do you think of both the UI and GUI?

concept__mouse_control_system_by_peekychew-d38m4s6.png

In version 3.0 of the demo, I'm hoping for the game to be 100% mouse controlled. From the menus, to the walking around, it'll all be controlled with the mouse. Hopefully the image above pretty much explains itself. but this is a concept I've created for moving around with the mouse, instead of the usual keyboard setup. I'd really like feedback on this, so feel free to post and/or V/PM me about it.
And just so you know, I'd like to keep this system an exclusive feature in XENOTIME, so please don't use it.

---------------------------------------
As you'll most likely know if you've been following the thread, I was planning on releasing regular new betas up to version 1.0 of the demo. But I've now decided to not do that. Instead, v1.0 is going to be skipped all together, and it'll go all the way to v2.0 instead. This'll include new features such as the menu above, the new 16:9 resolution, and all of the gym leaders. I can't put a firm release date on the demo, but if anyone is willing to help with scripting the new menu, it'll really speed things up.

---------------------------------------
@shadowtogepi: Yep, better late than never xD Tell me what you think, apart from the errors.

@aquadan: Thanks.

@Ruler Arceus: Yeah, sorry for those. There is a way to avoid them, but I'm not quite sure how now...

@flamemaster: Thank you or the bug report. I actually didn't know about a couple of those so it was very helpful.

Last edited:
Years
Hopefully in the new demo, all bugs will be fixed so i can paly it, but i really like your screenshots and sprites

TheMarkCrafter

roses are red, violets are blue, i used to break r
Years
Ok i did this for uranium and now im gonna report all bugs i see for This game, to help you make it better for next demo release!

First of all, in the lab the prof. repeats himself in the end.
Battle system is bugged, and you can't see rivals head.
If you die from the rivals battle when you walk outside of your home you see the message appear straight away that he wants to fight you, but theres no rival overworld there.. hmmmmm.
When you die from a wildlife pokemon, you pay it money????? why would a wild pokemon want money.
If you walk back into the lab you will see him talking again and you cant get rid of it ahhhh now i have to start all over ..
The sound to go into a pokemon center is wrong... its not ment to be a door opening.
In the room with the dude thats playing the computer and says stop distracting, you can walk ontop of the bench with the pokeball in it
DAMM, restart again, when you walk out of the house with that dude in it, you get stuck and have to restart the game -_-

In the first forest route, you cant encounter anything in the grass nor does it move.

Screenshots
Tree walk through error. http://img689.imageshack.us/i/screenshot4jn.png/
@pip, your stair bug isn't a bug when you go down your clicking right arrow and its the same arrow to go up so if you hold it down you will end up in the same room, no bug, i had problem to.

Thats all for today!

Maybe he lost the Switches/Variables.
Really!

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
I like the look of the latest screen-shots! The fakemon look really top-notch. My only comment would be that in the preview shot of the new menu, the text is a little difficult to see with the colour/pattern of the background. I'd suggest making all the fonts white & darken the blue at the bottom or make the transparent black boxes less transparent.

Kninj

Collector Extraordinaire!
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 19, 2012
Oh god, those baby pokemon are ridiculously adorable :D

Heh, if only this was available on mac.

Years
  • Seen May 3, 2017
Wow, in terms of story this has got to be the bleakest Pokemon game I have played:

-Rather than starting a grand adventure, your mother kicks you out of the house. ("Get out.")
-Your neighbours are either living below the poverty line or in jail.
-The Poke-Professor hates kids, and would deny you one of her hard-earned starters. Thankfully, "rules are rules".
-The citizens of your home town are either miserable ("I'm going bald!") or terrified of pokemon ("eek, Kinglers!").
-The greatest pokemon scientists have given up on the world, and are planning a hostile takeover! Team Professor, anyone?

There are some wonderful ideas in this game. I would recommend downloading this game for the music alone. Also, I have to give a thumbs up to the interactivity sprinkled around your house: every household appliance and piece of furniture sparks some commentary, whether it's washing your hands at the sink, observing your mom's cold coffee, or glancing into the empty fridge. I especially liked the bookshelves for the addition of Tolstoy and your mother's selection of Pokemon Cook Books!

At the same time, the numerous glitches really detract from the experience (or kill it, in some cases). I made it as far as Larcoon City in my run.

Glitches
-if you walk past the "enter" tiles in Larcoon's lab and then exit, you can walk out of Aurora Town without acquiring a starter.
-you cannot access your PC from Aurora Town. Ergo, you cannot get a potion to help you out against Rich's Growlithe.*
-there is no way to heal your pokemon in Aurora Town. After your first rival battle, you're stuck with a wounded pokemon until the next town.*
-you can walk over the flooded area of the second town.
-the TM Thief's house: first, the mom will give you infinite copies of the TM. Second, if you try to exit by the front door, your character will become stuck and you'll need to restart.

* If these 'no healing' situations are intentional design decisions - either as a handicap or to illustrate how unhelpful your mother is by refusing to heal your 'mons - then you need to communicate this to the player via in-game dialogue.

Story/Writing Comments:
-in the opening text, Oak tells you to address him as the Poke-Professor and never offers his proper name. A little rude, no?
-is Rich really Oak's grandson? I'm tempted to assume that line is standard text generated by a game-making program since the "grandson rival" scenario has been done to death in G1. Maybe some dialogue about how Rich's mother moved her family away from Pallet could be included?
-Your Mother's dialogue makes her sound very cold ("get out.") Is this the effect you intended?
-Professor Larcoon. Larcoon City. Is the naming scheme intentional, or is this an oversight?

-I like the concept of a conspiracy among the Pokemon Professors to conquer the world, but it feels like you've tipped your hand a little too soon:
1) The appeal of mystery is lost.
If I know right from the beginning that Larcoon wants to rule the world, where's the fun of following the story to discover her hidden intentions?

Let me give you an example: in Ruby/Sapphire, Team Magam/Aqua start off as minor annoyances; the extent of their villainy is robbing a Devon employee ("My Goods!") and overcrowding the Slateport Museum. They seem to be fixated on advanced technology, but why, and for what purpose? As the story progresses, they become increasingly fanatical: they kidnap Prof. Cozmo; they try to blow up an active volcano; they steal magical artifacts from Mt. Pyre and finally - at the height of insanity - they awaken ancient pokemon gods with the power to control the weather. Each time you meet the team, they try something more ambitious and more evil. At the same time, you never discover their endgame (waking Groudon/Kyogre) until the climax.

Pokemon Xenotime includes some suspense as to Prof. Birch's stance (will he join Oak or Larcoon's faction?), but otherwise Larcoon's intentions are declared loud and clear, and it doesn't feel like there's anything exciting to discover.

2) It's too early in the story to consider saving the world.
I know that 10-year old kids can do amazing things in the Pokemon world, but you've just started your journey and have one (1) level 5 pokemon. Seriously, what are you expected to do to fight an evil Lugia? Arceus help you if you chose Bulbasaur!

My recommendation: scale back the conflict in the early game. Establish that there's a rift between the Poke-Professors and that they've split into Oak vs Larcoon factions. At the same time, keep us in the dark as to what they are fighting over. Give hints that they disagree about how to deal with Lugia, but keep Larcoon's world-dominating intentions for the bird a secret. If you're feeling ambitious, portray Oak as a "loose cannon" among the Profs and make the player suspicious of his intentions!

I think you have a great story concept, and I like the characterization of Professor Larcoon - from her dialogue, it's clear she's a miserable grouch. I'd be interested to learn why Elm and Rowan - seemingly pleasant chaps - have become so disillusioned with the world that they'd side with her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back