• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Typhlosion Energies

Dreamless

Nightmares kept in Bottles
Years
One of the many things that has fascinated me about BREAKthrough is the BKT version of Typhlosion. I've been looking for a decent attacker for a deck, and this is perfect. Pretty good HP, a potentially very powerful move, and guaranteed chance of inflicting a decent amount of damage. So, I've decided to build a deck around it, borrowing some other people's strategies and using some of my own.

Deck

Pokemon - 17

Typhlosion (BKT-20) x3
Quilava (BKT-19) x3
Cyndaquil (BKT-18) x4
Delphox (XY-26) x2
Braixen (XY-25) x2
Fennekin (BKT-25) x3

Trainers - 21

Wally x2
VS Seeker x2
Blacksmith x3
Ultra Ball x3
Giovanni's Scheme x3
Brigette x2
Rare Candy x2
Energy Recycler x4

Energy - 22

Burning Energy x4
Fire Energy x18

Strategy

Typhlosion EvoLine

Typhlosion's move Massive Eruption is my main focus for this deck - I'm pretty sure this card is broken! With more energy than I would normally use, I have a higher chance of pulling energy for this move when I discard the top 5 cards of my deck. Flare Destroy can be used in moments of desperation, and once I have Typhlosion set up, it should almost stop the opponent from setting up their own deck - if they haven't already. This line'll probably get set up in the Bench, since Cyndaquil and Quilava don't really have great moves I need to use before I evolve them.

Delphox EvoLine

Delphox can be set up reasonably quickly. With Rare Candy and Blacksmith, I could potentially have Delphox fully evolved in a single turn, though I'll not rely on that. Mystical Fire is very useful as a substitute for Trainers when I need to draw cards, especially if I'm item-locked. Blaze Ball has the potential to be doing 90 damage a turn, which could KO a lot of Basics and slow down set up if I get Delphox set up quickly. It'll aid me while I set up Typhlosion.

Trainers

Wally is there to help out if I get item locked. VS Seeker should help if I discard Trainers I need with Massive Eruption. Blacksmith is purely to help set up Typhlosion and Delphox as quickly as possible. Ultra Ball - pretty self-explanatory, used to find those Pokemon I need. Giovanni's Scheme could be used both to draw cards or to add that tiny push if the opponent's Pokemon has just a little too much health left. Brigette is also pretty self-explanatory. Rare Candy is used to set up Pokemon quickly, but it can't be used when item locked. Energy Recycler is to pull out those energies I've discarded both through KOs and Massive Eruption/Flare Destroy.

Strengths, Weaknesses and General Info

Strengths
  • Very powerful moves that aren't too difficult to set up
  • Trainers available for use when item locked
  • Delphox's Ability Mystical Fire draws 6 cards every turn, so leaves a free space for a Supporter to be used
  • Trainers aid quick set up

Weaknesses
  • Full evolution lines take up space
  • Deck goes through energy very, very fast
  • No way to counter weaknesses

Notes

I've honestly no idea what to do with Brigette. I might switch those for some cards to heal my Pokemon, or some cards to just mess up the opponent. Any ideas?

Criticism is appreciated! Thanks to all those who've already created a deck similar to this, you and others have aided me in the creation of this deck. I can hardly take the credit, this is pretty much a compliation of all those BREAKthrough Typhlosion decks out there.

Another note - I didn't include EX or Megas in this deck as I'm unsure whether they're allowed to be used in a tournament I'm entering. Although it's Extended Cities, in the League they discouraged EX Pokemon last session. Next time I attend, I'll ask about it - if I had to add EX or Megas, it would most likely be Houndoom.

Last edited:

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
Years
I'd suggest Super Rods as well, to get any pokemon/items back that you may have to discard because or set up or item lock.

Personally I'd maybe -1 Fennekin and -1 Cynda for 2x Entei Ancient Trait. If you start with a low had of pokemon and one of the Stage 1 starting you could quickly get wiped, at least Entei can usually survive two/three hits early game, and powering it up late game is ideal.

It's a bit random about the discouraging of EXs at a Cities, if it were a local league I'd understand but I don't think they can restrict deck list unless obviously it's banned/ruined card etc. Mega Houndoom seems an ideal one to pair with Delphox any way.

Dreamless

Years
Thanks for the feedback! So, Super Rods instead of those Brigette cards, or find a way to substitute something else? I need to keep the energy count as high as possible right now until I test it out, so I know how much energy I need to get a decent attack. Getting hold of energy for me should be easy - they've always got spares at the League.

What do you mean by Entei Ancient Trait? I can't find anything on that. Is Ancient Trait an Ability/Body or something? Sorry, I'm still quite new to the TCG.

EDIT: Ahh, I found it, don't worry! It's the sort-of-full art card with Flame Screen and Heat Tackle, isn't it?

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
Years
Thanks for the feedback! So, Super Rods instead of those Brigette cards, or find a way to substitute something else? I need to keep the energy count as high as possible right now until I test it out, so I know how much energy I need to get a decent attack. Getting hold of energy for me should be easy - they've always got spares at the League.

What do you mean by Entei Ancient Trait? I can't find anything on that. Is Ancient Trait an Ability/Body or something? Sorry, I'm still quite new to the TCG.

EDIT: Ahh, I found it, don't worry! It's the sort-of-full art card with Flame Screen and Heat Tackle, isn't it?

Possibly -1 on Giovanni and -1 Wally to fit the Super Rods? I think 3 Gios are a bit OTT, though 1 is not enough. I've seen an average of 16-22 with energy so I think 18 would be okay but obviously it's always useful to deck test before you officially play.

Yep that's the one, it's getting popular in a lot of decks as it can have two items placed on it 9so two assault vests/two muscle bands etc)

Looks like a fun deck though, bet you'll be burning through it!

Dreamless

Years
Thank you again! Right, I'll revise my Trainers and take your advice. I think just one of most Trainers is not enough, haha.

Let's hope this doesn't go too much over my budget! Thanks, I'm really looking forward to play.

Back