• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo DS Music Hacking [LOOPING INCLUDED, FULLY EXPLAINED]

Years
OMG! IT'S BLACK MAGIC!!! Can you explain that with pictures or movie, please? I just want to put some music into game... I can't understand any of this part ;/

Years
I Know how to extract the song from NDS, so that is only first point. Then I don't know what to do, how to import it into game. Do I really have to change the music with programs you used in tutorial? What if I want just put my music, without changing it? Just extract, replace files, import and play.
@Edit:
I want to do this:
Replace normal trainer battle music for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VU6NcExcAU
Replace Rival battle music for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulkDzzSF_Ss&feature=related
Replace N battle music for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ruYfRBa7tQ
Replace team Plasma battle music for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3yc7qBrhvk
Replace Ghetsis battle music for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUGjKmP2aY
Maybe could you explain me how to do certain moves to replace that or maybe could you do that for me in pokemon White? I really can't understand this ;/

Last edited:
Years
Well, you can use any MIDI editor of your choice that supports .DLS files, but FL Studio has a lot of features as well as plugin support. As for extracting, replacing and playing, it's not as simple. Not all songs are made the same way. That's why if you replace songs with another, it won't sound right. If you're lucky, it might, but it depends. It will usually require some kind of effort to get your music just right.

And if you want to replace those songs you listed, you will need MIDI versions. You cannot use MP3s. And I cannot stress that enough.

OK, thanks, I will try to do something with that.

KingDrapion

dual-type Poison/Dark Pokémon.
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2014
I dont know why but when I try to convert my midi with the new midi2sseq file it says that my midi is corrupted? This happened after I looped in Anvil Studio.
Can you help me out with this? I have used another midi and it says the same thing.

KingDrapion

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2014
Does it still give you a .sseq file?

Sadly No, it doesn't even give me an sseq file for the non looped midis. I must be doing the command prompt wrong, so can you explain how to do it specifically?
Also, the older midi2sseq file works with the NON looped midis, but not with the looped ones.

KingDrapion

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2014
Yeah. That's why I recommend using the new one. Try re-exporting your original MIDI and try looping it again. Be sure you're using the proper commands too.

Yep tried it again. Didn't work... I definitely did the right command prompt. It says that the midi is corrupted even when I re-exported it and looped it using your guide.
I dont know if this is too much to ask but can you try converting and looping it it for me? Maybe you could figure out how to avoid the corruption.
here's the download link: http://www.filefactory.com/file/3qi8so5jvp9p/n/Rival_battle_RSE_mid
Id greatly appreciate if you could do it, but if the problem happens to u don't worry about it.

Nurse Kevin

Pokémon Collector
Years
  • Age 30
  • U.S.
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
There is a question I have about editing the .midis in FL Studio. I notice some tracks have more than one instrument playing in 1 track. Is it possible to change the instruments for both of them? If so, how?

Also, people use the HGSS and BW Soundfonts in FL Studio. Is that required to make your .midis sound good in-game after converting to .sseq? The .dls files don't seem to help me at all when it comes to changing the song's instruments.

KingDrapion

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2014
I don't mean to be annoying but have you downloaded my midi and tried to loop it? Because I still have the same trouble with different midis now

KingDrapion

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2014
I tried looping it and had no problems at all. All I did was add the loop information. Are you sure you're adding the loop information correctly?

Really? It worked? Hmm... I must be doing the looping wrong somehow. I have followed all your steps on how to loop, but i don't know where I went wrong. Did you convert my midi into an sseq file? If so, can I have it back because I want to change the music in my game. Thanks.
Ok I'l try again and see if I can figure out how to make it work properly. Maybe if you put pictures on how to loop on Anvil Studio, then maybe that will help me and even the Command prompt bit because I do not fully understand that.

Last edited:

Nurse Kevin

Pokémon Collector
Years
  • Age 30
  • U.S.
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
When in FL studio, there is an option to change the patch of the instrument when in the keyboard view. That's where you can toggle instruments on a track. As for DLS files, they contain the game's sound samples, and if you don't have them, you'd better have a good memory. The DLS files extracted vary from game to game as well.

Yeah, your right. The .dls files are necessary. However, I had to manually change the notes to the channels with the corresponding instruments. If this works with the midis from RSE (as commonly), then the last thing that I will have to put into practice is the loop.

Anyways, I give you my thanks for your reply. It gave me crucial answers to other questions that I was about to ask. I'll be back if anything happens.

Nurse Kevin

Pokémon Collector
Years
  • Age 30
  • U.S.
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I'm back. Anyways, there's something that's confusing me here. After repacking the SDAT Folder, many keep suggesting to use CT2 or PPRE rather than Nitro Explorer to insert the .sdat file. Do those 2 programs have something that Nitro Explorer doesn't have?

Nurse Kevin

Pokémon Collector
Years
  • Age 30
  • U.S.
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
CT2 is buggy in the fact that it cannot replace a file if it's larger than what the target is. Even if it's just one byte, it will complain that it cannot insert it because it's too large. I'd use PPRE mostly because it rips the rom apart, then reassembles it, regardless of any size limitations.

Understood. Thanks dude.

Speaking of SDATs, there is a funny question I have. Is it possible to insert music data (.sseq, .sbnk, .swar) from a different game into the SDAT folder? For example, say we have the Pokémon White SDAT folder. If I wanted to change the Elite Four theme with a song from a different game like say... the Jungle stage from Contra 4 (which also uses the SDAT system), would taking the song data from its SDAT folder and putting it into the Pokémon White SDAT folder allow it to work in-game?

Blazaking

Pokémon Master
Years
I was wondering if you could provide a different mirror for the Music Hack Pack, because the download link currently up isn't working for me.

Edit: Ah, just read back on the thread. Any idea when you'll be making the new tutorial yet?

I've been trying to music hack for a while, but I've failed... every time. The problem I'm currently facing is that when I repack the files into the .sdat (using the kiwi editor), everything is jumbled up. I found out that it was because kiwi repacks them in alphabetical order and then renames all the files according to how they were listed originally in the rom. The only method I found to fixing this was renaming all the files with numbers according to their original listing, but that's way too much work, especially with a game like BW (there are like 800 sseqs!)

Can you help?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
Tuto Is done well, I managed to make:p thank you

My chaine YouTube: TheFredWTF

hack music

KingDrapion

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2014
hey team fail. I don't know if you already knew this but if you export a sseq file directly from another ROM for example Platinum and convert it into a midi, it keeps the loop point. This doesn't really help learning how to loop, but some people can just edit an already looped midi and convert then insert it into a ROM without having to loop it again.

KingDrapion

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2014
I know this way would be easier, but it so confusing for me. The part Im mostly confused about is the looping part, since you don't really explain well on how to do it. And it doesn't work for me, since when I try to convert the MIDI I looped according to your instructions, it doesn't even give me an SSEQ file from MIDI2SSEQ. I suggest updating the Tutorial for newcomers to understand it properly. I don't know, maybe add some screens? Or maybe a vid?
But I do give you my thanks for starting it in the first place. Ill probably try the other method of changing instruments from an SSEQ file, but you wouldn't happen to know what the instrument Hex numbers are, would you?

Oxnite

aka Arbok
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2016
I have a question on music hacking. There's a certain music file in the B/W .sdat file that's not looped yet (I don't think it's used in the game but I'm not sure). However, I want to have it looped because I would like to use it (it's an encounter music). Where do I have to start? Is it possible to loop a .sseq file without having the .midi file?

The .sseq file I'm talking about is 093-SEQ_BGM_E_INISHIE.sseq.

Back