Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Reload this Page [Tutorial] Inserting Battle Backgrounds

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old December 20th, 2014 (08:05 PM).
Filipino Pride!

Nature: Jolly
Dude Thanks very much! I've inserted already 6 of the battle backgrounds in PLatinum to my ROM. Thanks very much! :D

Hacks doing:
Pokemon Exelis Version

Please give a like to our Official Facebook Page! :D
Old December 22nd, 2014 (06:50 PM).
I am me! Nobody else!

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by Lance32497:
ahhm ok, but may I leave these blank? because I Changed the palettes of the battle bg
If you are going to make them blank, well, you just need a new blank image (all transparent) and a tileset of the blank image. And, kinda less fancy. If you are changing the background image palettes, it doesn't change the entry image palettes (if you are staying with the same offset of the original palette). Don't worry about it, entry image palette are handled separately from it. :3

I'll make a post of explanation of palettes later once I have figured out things.

One who does simply watch his own anime.
Old December 23rd, 2014 (12:19 PM).

OK, I tried inserting a new battle background on Emerald using the information
Raileys posted and I end up with something looking like this:
Spoiler:

If it helps, I completely ignore the original tutorial and just imported it straight into UnLZ. The background seems to be fine, it's just the platform thing.
Old January 7th, 2015 (06:57 AM). Edited January 7th, 2015 by HerobrineHunter.

Can you insert that Battle BG in my rom . Haha Dont mind helping me ?

Plss!
Old January 23rd, 2015 (10:47 PM).
Hack Expert Most IN Mapping

Ca Someone Taught Me How To insert like this Battle Back grounds? In Fire Red? No worry I have my own Battle BG Since Kyledove Forbid anyone to UseThis

Im A Mapper Expert Invite me In a Good Projects If I Have Time
Pokemon Hacking Is So Complicated,If You Understand It Correctly You'll Become An Expert
Old February 3rd, 2015 (02:32 AM). Edited April 4th, 2015 by Sky High.
I am me! Nobody else!

Nature: Adamant

Manipulating Battle Background Palette

Have anyone wondered why the palettes of different battle backgrounds having twelve, thirteen, or sixteen (the transparent color counts) colors. Sometimes you want sixteen colors for the background and you want to maintain the original offset (only replacing values from it), but the original palette has only fifteen available colors. Solution to it? I have already found it out! I have amassed data to examine different palettes from different background. Then, finally, I have found one that can be universal to the maximum of sixteen colors (however, it is not only just the colors of the background… you will find out). Here’s the data as promised:

10 60 00 00 00 00 00 DC 73 1B 4B 7E 57 00 7C 5F 3C 4F 9A 67 5D 53 00 7E 57 3D 53 5C 53 A8 4E 00 0C 5B 51 6B 94 6F B8 73 80 10 1F B9 42 5D 53 7D 5F DA 00 46 9D 6F 1B 4B 3C 4F FB 40 4A B0 1F 5F 23 DF 63 5F 2B 02 9F 3B DF 43 00 00 F0 01 00 00

Let me explain. The data is a set of compressed palette. Each palette data contains three parts: the First Base, the Second Base, and the Entry Image Palette.
  • The red-bolded values are the First Base which is controlled in the 0x2 palette control in the tilemap. Literally, this is the basic and the main layer for the colors of the background. Noted that there are 2 bytes each color. After four colors, there is a stray byte which is 00 and is not always 00. The First Base contains sixteen colors (subtract one for the transparent color which is at the start of the palette).
  • The orange-bolded values are the Second Base which is controlled in the 0x3 palette control in the tilemap. This is the second layer of palettes for the background. It contains eight colors. In the fourth color, there is an insertion of the stray byte “00” between the two values. Then in the eight color, there is also an insertion of the stray byte “40” between the two values.
  • The green-bolded values are the Entry Image Palette which is used for the palette for the image-that-animates-to-the-left-then-disappears as you can see in the flow in the intro of a battle. It contains six colors and the stray bytes “02” appears after the third one. They can only be five colors but the highest possible is six colors (the rock entry image in the cave background having six). So, the sixth slot at 00 00 before the F0 01 is safe to use.
I still don’t know how compressed palettes works but I have explained everything as far as I know. You may use this as the palettes for all available backgrounds. This palette data is ripped off from Elite Four Sidney's palette but if you use this data to other backgrounds, it will still work just focus on byte ordering and changing. You have a new grass background with this format is okay. If you want to maintain the entry image palette, just copy the palette used for the entry image just by looking at VBA's palette and image viewer.

One who does simply watch his own anime.
Old February 27th, 2015 (02:50 PM).
Dev of Pokemon Flare

Great ! This tutorial is very user-friendly. I'd recommend reading this.

Looking for scripters,mappers and tile inserters (all sort of persons who can help me) on Pokémon Flare.
If you're interested, feel free to leave me a VM/PM
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)