• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fort PokePower

Muffins forever
Years
I base some of my characters off my friends. One is based off a few superheroes mixed together (the vigilante guy) But most come from my friends :)

In other news, I've decided that I do want to make that Eragon rp. If someone wants to GM with me, send me a message or something, and we can decide on how we want to set it up. (everyone has different ideas). If not, you probably won't see it until November or so. So come on guys! I'm not the only one who wants to make this, right?
I would, but... I'm kinda in the middle of making my own RP, and it's going to take awhile as it is.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
While my RP slowly comes into gear, I had a fun idea, though a bit complicated. A new RP that I definitely can't work on right now, seeing as my SF/DW has only recently begun.

Monster Hunter RP
Ever played on of the games? They came out on PlayStations and PSPs. I played Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, have it as the only game for my PSP. I would have sold my PSP, if I hadn't enjoyed the game so much.

My point is, I think it would be a great Roleplay. The difficulty comes down to a few rather headache-inducing issues for a GM:
  • Character inventory, and whether the GM keeps track or trusts the player to.
  • Equipment creation and crafting materials, you could go off of the game's stats and items or create your own, but both ways seem terribly difficult.
  • Damage counters and the effort it takes to defeat a boss, whether using HP and math, or going "realistically" based on the types of hits and amount of injury.
  • Considering how long a hunter can last before passing out and being returned to the campsite.
  • Determining what herbs/bugs/fish/ores you find when you gather items.
  • Creating a system of quests for players to take, the biggest headache of all.

There's plenty more things to go over; Monster Hunter would probably become a famous and loved RP, but it'd take a master GM with the mind of a mad scientist and an expert memory.

I couldn't possibly do something to this catastrophic effect, so I'll leave the idea out for anyone else who thinks they're capable.

Any input/comments/feedback?

Anyone ever even played Monster Hunter?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
While my RP slowly comes into gear, I had a fun idea, though a bit complicated. A new RP that I definitely can't work on right now, seeing as my SF/DW has only recently begun.

Monster Hunter RP
Ever played on of the games? They came out on PlayStations and PSPs. I played Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, have it as the only game for my PSP. I would have sold my PSP, if I hadn't enjoyed the game so much.

My point is, I think it would be a great Roleplay. The difficulty comes down to a few rather headache-inducing issues for a GM:
  • Character inventory, and whether the GM keeps track or trusts the player to.
  • Equipment creation and crafting materials, you could go off of the game's stats and items or create your own, but both ways seem terribly difficult.
  • Damage counters and the effort it takes to defeat a boss, whether using HP and math, or going "realistically" based on the types of hits and amount of injury.
  • Considering how long a hunter can last before passing out and being returned to the campsite.
  • Determining what herbs/bugs/fish/ores you find when you gather items.
  • Creating a system of quests for players to take, the biggest headache of all.

There's plenty more things to go over; Monster Hunter would probably become a famous and loved RP, but it'd take a master GM with the mind of a mad scientist and an expert memory.

I couldn't possibly do something to this catastrophic effect, so I'll leave the idea out for anyone else who thinks they're capable.

I've never played the games, but I think you might be throwing too many logistics into it, which is going to make it rather impossible to keep track of.

The only points you listed which are worth implementing, in my mind, are:

• Inventory (relatively simple, as long as you limit the number of items and not go OTT).
  • Quests (Obviously needed to keep them all busy! Since you've played one of the games you could always rehash quests from that, since I assume the main purpose would be the standard 'go here/protect him/slay this' kind of quests).
Passing out could instead be controlled by a structured day/night system. If plays have to pass out and go back to a campsite it could severely halt the progress of the whole group.

Equipment isn't necessary in RPs, except for aesthetic and description. There is no use having literal stats, although special received items could easily have descriptions such as 'increases your characters speed', which can then be written in by the player.

Damage/Boss Battles is again nothing too special to RP. Consider we manage this all the time in Pokémon RPs. Simply set some kind of standard, let players leave their posts on what they think is a 'finishing' move, then tell them (in OOC or IC) if the attack was successful/general outcome.

Errr I think that's all I can give in terms of ideas, unless I quickly read up on the mechanics of Monster Hunter - but yeah, I think you should try and separate the idea from the rigid mechanics of a game.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015

I've never played the games, but I think you might be throwing too many logistics into it, which is going to make it rather impossible to keep track of.

The only points you listed which are worth implementing, in my mind, are:

• Inventory (relatively simple, as long as you limit the number of items and not go OTT).
  • Quests (Obviously needed to keep them all busy! Since you've played one of the games you could always rehash quests from that, since I assume the main purpose would be the standard 'go here/protect him/slay this' kind of quests).
Passing out could instead be controlled by a structured day/night system. If plays have to pass out and go back to a campsite it could severely halt the progress of the whole group.

Equipment isn't necessary in RPs, except for aesthetic and description. There is no use having literal stats, although special received items could easily have descriptions such as 'increases your characters speed', which can then be written in by the player.

Damage/Boss Battles is again nothing too special to RP. Consider we manage this all the time in Pokémon RPs. Simply set some kind of standard, let players leave their posts on what they think is a 'finishing' move, then tell them (in OOC or IC) if the attack was successful/general outcome.

Errr I think that's all I can give in terms of ideas, unless I quickly read up on the mechanics of Monster Hunter - but yeah, I think you should try and separate the idea from the rigid mechanics of a game.
You have to play Monster Hunter to really understand the whole concept.

Inventory could be monitored by individual players, but there is also "If I dig in this bush, what will I find?" more than one type of item can be picked up in gathering spots. And quite frankly, literally half of the game is item gathering/combining/using, making potions and cooking meat, making traps to subdue large monsters, making pickaxes or fishing bait, using bugnets, the list goes on and on. There is a money aspect to the game, but it's far, far more wise to go by item combining, and gathering. Other items, like monster carves and boss monster carves, go into the creation of specific weapons and gear.

The Items and Equipment make up most of the entire game, and it's one of the most fun things about it. With armor there's good ol' defense, but then you can also have resistance (or weakness) to water, electricity, fire, dragon, etc. based on your armor, which is also based off of what you made it out of. Both armor and weapons can have special traits. With weapons, there's different levels of sharpness, durability, strength, and other special traits like auto-guard. Weapon types (DualSwords, Sword'n'Shield, Longsword, Greatsword, Lance, Gunlance, Hammer, HuntingHorn, Bow, Light Bowgun, Heavy Bowgun) determine other abilities, special moves, etc. Bows and Bowguns have different ammunition types with different levels of strength, have reload speeds and recoils, different clip sizes, some only use certain types of ammo... My point is, taking out that aspect of the game is pretty much taking out the game.

You could go off of roleplaying realism, but do realize that, game-wise, these bosses can last from anywhere between 10 minutes and 50 minutes of game-time. You have to come prepared, with the right types of weapons, the right items, and the right armor, or you'll fail. It's not easy.

What I mean by passing out is basically "Dying". With an average quest, you get three "lives". If you run out of Health, your character becomes unconscious and a ragtag group of Felynes takes you back to your campsite on a stretcher. If you pass out, you lose a portion of the reward, but if you fail three times, you're forced to return home and fail the quest.

Someone who's played it probably would have to be the one to GM it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023

Okay, as cool as a game MH is, it is honestly not something that could be roleplayable. Like how I explained to you about Minecraft, Monster Hunter has no storyline. Now, don't you go poking fingers at me and telling me I'm wrong because I've got the game and played it. The only storyline is "OLD HUNTER RETIRED. NEW HUNTER ENTER!" which would only be the basis of your backstory, not your actual plot.

The only way it would really work would be like a Journey roleplay, where you have the front page dedicated to the players inventory, as each person enters a different region, be it Forest, Desert, Swamp etc, you would need to outline which monsters would be available to kill, their difficulty and the rate of which they would get items (you'd have to start incorporating chance).

So, essentially, you'd be playing like your table top old D&D roleplays. Because otherwise, it just wouldn't work fairly. Unless you take into account post quality depending on item quality.

But you still have your issue of plot. You'd need to create one and I just won't accept "TO BE BETTAR DAN ALL DE REST!!!"

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Okay, as cool as a game MH is, it is honestly not something that could be roleplayable. Like how I explained to you about Minecraft, Monster Hunter has no storyline. Now, don't you go poking fingers at me and telling me I'm wrong because I've got the game and played it. The only storyline is "OLD HUNTER RETIRED. NEW HUNTER ENTER!" which would only be the basis of your backstory, not your actual plot.

The only way it would really work would be like a Journey roleplay, where you have the front page dedicated to the players inventory, as each person enters a different region, be it Forest, Desert, Swamp etc, you would need to outline which monsters would be available to kill, their difficulty and the rate of which they would get items (you'd have to start incorporating chance).

So, essentially, you'd be playing like your table top old D&D roleplays. Because otherwise, it just wouldn't work fairly. Unless you take into account post quality depending on item quality.

But you still have your issue of plot. You'd need to create one and I just won't accept "TO BE BETTAR DAN ALL DE REST!!!"

That made me laugh.

I know it's possible, I'm just not going to even attempt it. Much too difficult to GM for me.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
Hey guys for all of you who are wondering why i havn't been so active its cause i cant seem to think to much about RPing when i have so much other stuff to do. I may come back in a couple months but not now. I will check up every once in a while but will not be posting for a couple months or a couple weeks either way it really depends mostly on how well i can think. I just cant think of ways to RP well now and i'm trying to think of a decent story on top of that. Sorry for not being online to tell everyone. Sorry.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
That made me laugh.

I know it's possible, I'm just not going to even attempt it. Much too difficult to GM for me.
Of course it's possible ;) anything is possible to turn into a RP, albeit very difficult. But yeah, maybe come up with an original plot to sort of incorporate the MH mechanics to? Or some of them, all mechanics in video games can't be turned into text forum RP form. Not without lots of trouble and unnecessity. (that's not a word, is it lol but you get what I mean perhaps)

For Checkmate, the players will be entering a game inside the RP, so strangely game-like mechanics can work there.

Hey guys for all of you who are wondering why i havn't been so active its cause i cant seem to think to much about RPing when i have so much other stuff to do. I may come back in a couple months but not now. I will check up every once in a while but will not be posting for a couple months or a couple weeks either way it really depends mostly on how well i can think. I just cant think of ways to RP well now and i'm trying to think of a decent story on top of that. Sorry for not being online to tell everyone. Sorry.
I know exactly how you feel. Don't worry about it, take your time and live your life. Hope you come back!

Mr. Mammoth

One cool snowman
Years
Heyheyhey! I'm back after a (short?) while of being gone and stuff! So let me dive right in by pointing out a small, minor thing in the MH discussion. In Monster Hunter Tri, which is the only one I've played, there is actually a plot about a giant monster terrorizing everything that lives remotely close to the sea and you have to slay it. But before that you need to gain experience as a hunter and all that good stuff. So, just to clarify (or something): Monster Hunter does have a plot. At least Tri has one, I've never played Freedom Unite so I wouldn't know about that one.

That aside, has anyone ever attempted to do an Fullmetal Alchemist-RP here? And would anybody be interested in it?

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
Heyheyhey! I'm back after a (short?) while of being gone and stuff! So let me dive right in by pointing out a small, minor thing in the MH discussion. In Monster Hunter Tri, which is the only one I've played, there is actually a plot about a giant monster terrorizing everything that lives remotely close to the sea and you have to slay it. But before that you need to gain experience as a hunter and all that good stuff. So, just to clarify (or something): Monster Hunter does have a plot. At least Tri has one, I've never played Freedom Unite so I wouldn't know about that one.

That aside, has anyone ever attempted to do an Fullmetal Alchemist-RP here? And would anybody be interested in it?

I've never attempted that actually. I have seen it a bit, but I don't know much of it. I know enough, though I don't have time to make any RPs, just join 'em. If anybody made a Fullmetal Alchemist-RP, I would totally join!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I'm kinda, sorta feeling the same way as that ninja dude. Lately I've been away from the RP scene due to personal reasons, which is why I haven't been around (or even like...enthusiastic) as much as before. I have plans to drop my RP count to 2-3 so that way I can just go do one post every 2 days. Really saddening tbh. :(

But the RP ideas are like...coming to me like hot bread. :| I have an idea for an Evil Group Training School RP (where trainers can actually play an evil character-to-be like Team Rocket or Team Plasma). But I'm still not certain as of now.

oh, and onto what I actually came for lolol:

Pokemon Hunger Games is in need of four players! We have Seviper, Floatzel, Gothitelle and Dragonair left. :) You don't have to be a fan to join this! :)

Last edited:

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015

There ya go, valid plot.

I can't say the same for MH: Freedom Unite though. You're basically just attacked by a Tigrex and knocked all the way off of Snowy Mountains, and you're healed and given a place to stay in the town. Your reason for questing is that you need to "rebuild your strength" or some nonsense, twined together with the whole "Old Hunter left, you showed up. New Hunter, no complaints. Hokai!?"

I'm sure there's been dozens of FMA RPs, it's fairly popular and would make a good Roleplay. Did you have something in mind?

Mr. Mammoth

One cool snowman
Years
I'm sure there's been dozens of FMA RPs, it's fairly popular and would make a good Roleplay. Did you have something in mind?

Well actually... I was just sitting around and playing with the idea of what mangas/animes would make good RPs. I thought about several (one being D.Gray-Man) until FMA crossed my mind. So I quickly came up with some sort of beta-plot and started to wonder how to execute it. Thus I thought that asking here might be a good idea. I thought that it could be sort of a Journey-RP. The only thing I need to figure out as of now is a good battle-system.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Well actually... I was just sitting around and playing with the idea of what mangas/animes would make good RPs. I thought about several (one being D.Gray-Man) until FMA crossed my mind. So I quickly came up with some sort of beta-plot and started to wonder how to execute it. Thus I thought that asking here might be a good idea. I thought that it could be sort of a Journey-RP. The only thing I need to figure out as of now is a good battle-system.

Rate it T and let them hack and slash their way to victory with their own RP + writing skills without splatting blood and guts all over the place ;)

But I somehow guess that you're referring more to how to implement alchemy and stuff?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
There ya go, valid plot.

I can't say the same for MH: Freedom Unite though. You're basically just attacked by a Tigrex and knocked all the way off of Snowy Mountains, and you're healed and given a place to stay in the town. Your reason for questing is that you need to "rebuild your strength" or some nonsense, twined together with the whole "Old Hunter left, you showed up. New Hunter, no complaints. Hokai!?"

Though still, I am interested in how combat would work, the way you described it it tries to introduce the features and mechanics of MH in a sort of Table Top RPG fashion, but it seems like the game would require a lot of moderation in the combat aspects.

Vato

This Is Our Last Goodbye
Years
Pesky News Reporter Here! :D

I can't give any oppinion on MH, I've never had a chance to play it before... but a Role-Play about it..., well, it has monsters, so it'd be awesome for sure!

Anyways, here's a question!
*clears throat*

What was your first RP experience?

I can't actually answer since the RP I putted in the Corner hasn't got any SUs, even when it's been there for 8 days..., or were they nine? Guess I lost the count..., and the RP I signed up for hasn't started, so yeah..., anyways, I'd love to hear what your first RP was about!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024

I can't actually answer since the RP I putted in the Corner hasn't got any SUs, even when it's been there for 8 days..., or were they nine? Guess I lost the count..., and the RP I signed up for hasn't started, so yeah..., anyways, I'd love to hear what your first RP was about!

So you mean that you submitted a roleplay of your own without ever having roleplayed before? I wish you luck with that, most people usually join a couple of RPs first to learn how things are done.

My first RP... I'm not sure, actually. I think it was "A new professor in town", a pokemon journey RP from the member slls81. Most people who have been here for a while remember that RP. It went on for a long time, years even. But I was only with it for a few posts in Hoenn XD Wasn't very dedicated or good back then.

Fort PokePower

Muffins forever
Years

Hmm... Well, the first RP I ever joined on PC was a few years ago when I had absolutely no skill XD It was Pokemon -Genesis- by Kid Ghandi.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Pesky News Reporter Here! :D

I can't give any oppinion on MH, I've never had a chance to play it before... but a Role-Play about it..., well, it has monsters, so it'd be awesome for sure!

Anyways, here's a question!
*clears throat*

My first RP was on a large, nonpokemon, website with a group of ~30 people - only a few of whom I knew. It was a pirate based roleplay, with competitive aspects as there were three ships of characters, and each week resulted in someone being killed off.

From there my interest bloomed, me and my friends had RPs on a private website (~15 people), including a thing I ran.

And now I'm running one and playing in Starsprite's Sychronicity! After about 4 years of having nothing to do with RP.

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
Years
My first RP... I'm not sure, actually. I think it was "A new professor in town", a pokemon journey RP from the member slls81. Most people who have been here for a while remember that RP. It went on for a long time, years even. But I was only with it for a few posts in Hoenn XD Wasn't very dedicated or good back then.

Awww man, I think I may have helped kill that RP. :(

I tried joining at the beginning, but got ninja'd, and then I joined at the beginning of the Hoenn arc (twice), but wasn't really all that into it, I suppose, in retrospect…

/bummed

ANYWAYS…

My first RP experience was freaking days ago (as in years)… I don't even remember what it was called, but I think it was about being abducted by Team Rocket or something…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back