• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Cutscenes and Camera Angling?

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
So, as you all have notice (how can you not have?) the game is now fully 3D!

Which means lots of things can be done with the overworld to make it more enjoyable and eye appealing.

My main thought is, Camera Angles?
Now it's fully 3D so much can be done, like special intro sequences with the camera moving in some sort of epic way towards the battlers, for battles.
And rotation to the characters speaking in the middle of a speech sequence.

Also; Cutscenes, will they improve, now the game and characters are 3D can we expect better cutscene, unlike BW where the humans dissappeared in the cutscene.

Guy

just a guy
Years
The 3D animated cutscenes in Black and White and later Black 2 and White 2 were impressive. So given that we're moving onto the 3DS platform, to see visual cutscenes such as those or even better with 3DS depth, will truly be something to witness.The same could definitely be said about the camera angles too. I remember walking over Skyarrow Bridge the first time and the different angles that they'd zoom in and out of were neat. So to see something like that again will be awesome. Going back to the cutscenes, I agree, hopefully in the bigger scenes, they treat us like we're actually there this time.

The camera rotation to those speaking is certainly interesting to think about, although I feel doubtful they'll go that far.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
yeah, BW/B2W2 had amazing cutscenes. Especially B2W2 with the Kyurem transformation. The camera was beyond anything ever done, so I'm sure cutscenes and the like will be even better for X/Y.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
The 3D animated cutscenes in Black and White and later Black 2 and White 2 were impressive. So given that we're moving onto the 3DS platform, to see visual cutscenes such as those or even better with 3DS depth, will truly be something to witness.The same could definitely be said about the camera angles too. I remember walking over Skyarrow Bridge the first time and the different angles that they'd zoom in and out of were neat. So to see something like that again will be awesome. Going back to the cutscenes, I agree, hopefully in the bigger scenes, they treat us like we're actually there this time.

The camera rotation to those speaking is certainly interesting to think about, although I feel doubtful they'll go that far.

I thought it was neat too when walking over Skyarrow Bridge and walking through Castelia City. Like has been mentioned before, this could be something to really look forward to on the 3DS(and in 3D no less).

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I'd be perfectly fine if I never saw another cutscene in a game. If they only wasted my time, that would be bad enough, but they actually do exactly the opposite of what I guess they're intended to do. They don't suck me into the game - they yank me out of it. I immediately lose whatever suspension of disbelief I've managed to build up and am forcefully reminded that I'm just looking at moving pictures.

Now - alternate camera angles is something I'd love to see. My hope is that you'll be able to pan the trailing cam in and out and from side to side, and leave it wherever you want or click a button to snap it back to the default, and I hope there are multiple defaults, like a racing game - first person, close, far... like that.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I'd be perfectly fine if I never saw another cutscene in a game. If they only wasted my time, that would be bad enough, but they actually do exactly the opposite of what I guess they're intended to do. They don't suck me into the game - they yank me out of it. I immediately lose whatever suspension of disbelief I've managed to build up and am forcefully reminded that I'm just looking at moving pictures.

Now - alternate camera angles is something I'd love to see. My hope is that you'll be able to pan the trailing cam in and out and from side to side, and leave it wherever you want or click a button to snap it back to the default, and I hope there are multiple defaults, like a racing game - first person, close, far... like that.
Bare with me here, but I kind of find it difficult to believe that a short clip of an animated cutscene is what would cause anyone to lose whatever suspension of disbelief they may have over playing a Pokémon game. Given the mere premise of which we know ─ A ten year old kid (in B/W we were a few years older) goes out in the world alone to travel amongst and alongside dangerous creatures ─ I think if there was ever a point to lose your suspension of disbelief, it would be the very moment you put the cartrdige in your system and booted it up to start playing.

Unless what you meant to say was that these cutscenes shift your attention away from the focus of the game and causes you to lose a brief period of interest in what's going on. That I could understand, since I know the cutscenes do sort of take us out of the game as a player and makes it feel like we're more or less watching a small footage of something that's happening. Although, I actually enjoy those cutscenes for its visual effect and being able to physically show us what's taking place in a cool way.

I totally agree with your ideas on the camera angles though. A first person perspective would be pretty neat if done correctly, although it would take some getting used to.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Bare with me here, but I kind of find it difficult to believe that a short clip of an animated cutscene is what would cause anyone to lose whatever suspension of disbelief they may have over playing a Pokémon game. Given the mere premise of which we know ─ A ten year old kid (in B/W we were a few years older) goes out in the world alone to travel amongst and alongside dangerous creatures ─ I think if there was ever a point to lose your suspension of disbelief, it would be the very moment you put the cartrdige in your system and booted it up to start playing.

Unless what you meant to say was that these cutscenes shift your attention away from the focus of the game and causes you to lose a brief period of interest in what's going on. That I could understand, since I know the cutscenes do sort of take us out of the game as a player and makes it feel like we're more or less watching a small footage of something that's happening. Although, I actually enjoy those cutscenes for its visual effect and being able to physically show us what's taking place in a cool way.

I totally agree with your ideas on the camera angles though. A first person perspective would be pretty neat if done correctly, although it would take some getting used to.
Yes - that's pretty much what I meant. I knew that "suspension of disbelief" was a sketchy choice of words there, but it seemed the best thumbnail description of the concept.

It's not that I inject myself into the game and "become" a 10 year old trainer in whatever region - it's that the separation between myself and the game just sort of fades. I don't notice that I'm a person sitting in a chair with a game in my hands, pushing buttons and watching a screen - it becomes all about getting through the next route and battling the next trainer - planning strategies and choosing moves and looking for paths and talking to people and solving puzzles. All that sitting in the chair holding the game looking at the screen and pushing buttons business just goes on "in the background" so to speak. Then a cutscene starts and blammo. Suddenly I'm just a guy sitting in a chair with a game in my hands - a passive observer while the game takes over and does what it wants to do. I find that to be jarring and unpleasant and the fewer times a game does that, IMO, the better.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
It would be so cool to see the camera zoom in while talking to some non-playable character in the game, but I do assume the camera angle and zoom would remain the same as previous generations when talking to a non-playable character.

But as far as what we've seen in the trailer, I don't think they no longer have the camera facing above the player anymore and instead is showing it in an angle where you can also see the sky as well, similar to how Castelia City is like in Black/White. But the only times they'd have it facing above the player would be when in a cave or building, so it would give that Pokémon Colosseum feeling.

As for the cutscenes, I'm sure they're going to be amazing! Since it's now in full 3D, we should be expecting some amazing detailed cutscenes where the camera moves around freely and zooming in on characters as well as Pokémon. Which would be so epic.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
I'm expecting amazing cutscenes as well, the kyurem cutscenes in B/W were very promising, so I'm definitely looking forward to what they come up with

sρεcтяα

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
A part of me would quite like to see multiple camera options, actually. Perhaps a choice from the classic "top-down" perspective, a default "3D" perspective, and a "free roaming" perspective? That way you can play the game without worrying about the camera, pan it any way you please if you want to take in the scenery, or keep it fixed in a classic position if you're not really all that taken with the graphics. Despite the potential disaster for player-controlled camera options, I'd still like to see them in there.

As for cutscenes...well, I wouldn't lose any sleep over them if they weren't in there. Graphically, the ones in Black 2 were very impressive, but that was pretty much all they were...they weren't particularly impressive otherwise. Sprites probably would have done, to be honest; they just didn't click with me. It didn't make the moment any more impressive. So, if they're going to roll with the cutscenes, I'd like to see a little more effort put into making them more cinematic and interesting.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
The camera angles are pretty good, though personally, I agree that we could at least, have the option of zooming or slightly adjusting the camera's positioning, just for our tastes. I hope that they can improve more, even as shown as the trailer, because with this 3DS technology, it's definitely possible! But well we ever get the option to adjust it? That remains to be seen.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Pokemon Cinematics

During previous generations, we can only see two view points of the game, battle and overworld. When people talk to people, we only see it in the overworld along with some quoteboxes. Even pokemon attacks in the overworld are just in quoteboxes. Ever since Emerald, we can see cinematic animations for the first time with the Rayquaza coming down from the sky to stop Groudon and Kyogre. Future generations even begin implementing this during legendary mascot summoning. Unfortunately, pokemon using moves outside the battle view and trainers doing postures and expressing what they say have still not been improved. Do you think cinematic animations is possible in Pokemon X and Y since it will implement the 3D graphics?

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Oh yes, cinematic animations has been becoming even more common than ever before in the main Pokémon games, especially with Black Version 2 and White Version 2 having several cinematic animations of Team Plasma's Frigate and battling Black/White Kyurem.

It's a very high chance that cinematic animations would indeed occur much more frequently in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, because of it's improved 3D graphics capability. And now we'll be able to see the trainers in the cinematic animations as well, instead of some basic sprite. ^^

Back