• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to add a new Pokemon. (Complete Tutorial)

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2013
I have been learning so much from this site, thanks so much guys!

I have a quick question though about the Advance Pokémon Sprite Editor. When I attempt to open my FireRed ROM, I get an error message saying "data is not LZ77 compressed!" Can anyone tell me what I need to do to fix this? What is the problem and what do I need to do?

Thanks!

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
But I know how make extra 25 placeholder Pokemon fully avaible to catch. You need

1. ROM with added Pokemon <On places between 252-276>
2. Pokedex Order Editor.

When you are in Pokedex Order Editor check from 252-276> And check in HOENN DEX and NATIONAL DEX as numer 0. What that give? They show MissingNo. Pokedex Entry and do not crush game after catching pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Nov 1, 2014
Hi, I like your tutorial but I have a problem, whenever I try to add in the sprites with APSE, I can get it in, but when I hit write to rom I get this:
Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

I have the latest microsoft.net framework and I am running windows vista, anyone know what is going on?
I have tried this with both Emerald and Firered and it doesn't work.

I got this issue too, but it was because my computer was running in Japanese mode. After switching back to English, everything worked fine again. So maybe some people need to set their system locale to English. Maybe this might help someone who also has this problem.

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
No matter what I do, I can't seem to sync up the palettes without manually editing it every time. But I am not changing any colors from the original sprites. Why is this happening?

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
Sorry for the double post, but I did end up getting it, but I found a new problem. Bye the way, I'm using Emerald. I edited the sprites, and then saved them. But the animations come out as just grey blocks for some of them. Any ideas how this happened, and how I can fix it?

EDIT: To avoid triple posting, I'll just edit this one. I'm trying to replace Swalot with Goomy, but the Goomy sprite doubles for some reason. It's just for the normal sprite though, not the shiny.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2019
Hey, I wanted to redo the pikachu sprite, but if I insert the page with pikachu with half of 1 ear off, it appears still after clicking okay, it only has one line in it (where I 'cut' off the ear. What should I do?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 17, 2014
Hello Everyone, I'm having trouble of inserting my OWN pokemon sprite,
I've got a sprite of two different image and also palette , when i inserted it on
a rom, it messed up! How can I insert it properly or can anyone knows how to make the PALLETE of the two sprites to be the same. THANKS, wait for the release of my rom hack,
you can join in a group in facebook, Find pokemon Jade offficial version9GBA hack)
for the mean time you can see my works there , only screenshots! Please support me :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
anyone can help me ? i use advanced sprite editor to replace pokemon image. After done and write to rom, i reopen to check it ,it only appear colour but no image on it. please help me .thx

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
I found way to add new Pokedex Entries without ASM working. If you want i can share it with you here.

WHAT YOU NEED
FSF - For free bytes.
GBAPGE set <Important for this>

1. Unpack from rar GBAPGE and go to INI and open in texteditor rom.ini.
2. Change section PokedexEntryNumber from 387 to 412 (In rom which you want edit. Check by header. I test that method with Pokemon Ruby US <AXVE>)
3. Open Pokedex Entry Editor from GBAPGE set of editors and find your rom. You've seen some extra spaces under entry of JIRACHI.
~~ADDING ENTRY (Repeat steps for all new entry spots)
4. Open FSF and found two separated by 6000 bytes (Minimal interval is 3000 for it. But i take 6000 bytes to be sure that new entries do not crush game)
5. Repoint failure adresses from new entry <First entry was blank specie name and two invaild blank text phrases. Later entries have glitch text> To make sure that your new entry do not crush game.
6. After repoint edit WT and HT of new pokemon with Scaling and writing text under that.
7. Save rom first after edit WT, HT and Scaling and later after edit Dex info.
~~~TESTING NEW ENTRY~~~
1. Use Advanced map or another map editor.
2. Set all grass by ?????? on one from 25 places or for new Pokemon which you give into one of those places.
3. Open the game on Emulator and go to edited grass.
4. Catch placeholder/new pokemon.

And look for results. It show you picture of new Pokemon with strange footprint <Paw with ? mark> and your text under that <With edited WT, HT and species name>

But i do not found way to add new cry for placeholders Pokemon.

I hope that I help you.

THIS METHOD IS BUGGED. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. -karatekid552

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2017
When I encounter the Pokemon, the game black screens and freezes. This has happened a few times now and I'm guessing I did something wrong. If it matters, I'm using Pokemon Emerald as my rom base.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 15, 2018
why wont this work for me
I indexed my icon and changed it to 16 colours and the palette was black

Back