• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: m4a2s - A sound dumping utility

ipatix

Sound Expert
Years
m4a2s - A sound dumping utility

Introduction:
Well, m4a2s is another of my "dirty" tools I wrote to export all of the music & soundeffect data to assembly source files.
I used it primarily to reimport the music and sound data to other games or to reimport it to the same game but to another offset. The trick behind all of that is that I disassemble all the files to pseudo-assembly source files (like mid2agb produces them) but by replacing the static pointers with dynamic labels so they are not depended on their original placement in the ROM by the linker.
I don't really know if anyone really needs this tool beside me but I thought "Hey, why not throw it in here and see if someone needs it?".

Usage:
Code:
$ m4a2s <yourrom.gba> <songtable offset in hex> <output folder of source data>
All of the output files will go to subfolders in the folder you specified called "seq", "bank" and "wave"

This is how files will look like. Here is an example for the songs:
Spoiler:
This is an example for Voicegroups:
Spoiler:
And finally an example for the waves (the exporter has a fancy useless visualization!):
Spoiler:

Disclaimer:
This tool is licensed under the terms of the GPLv3 license. It currently does work but I didn't invest time into making it "idiot proof". It can easily crash when if parameters are given".

Contributing:
Since this tool is licensed under the GPLv3 feel free to contribute by forking my repository on GitHub and improving the code. As I said above, the code is
partially pretty dirty and I just want to warn you :D

Downloads & Links:
The source (C#) of this tool is available on my GitHub:
https://github.com/ipatix/m4a2s
The download can be found under the "release" section. Quick link:
https://github.com/ipatix/m4a2s/releases/tag/v0.1-beta

So I hope that someone might be interested in this tool.
Have a nice day ;)

Last edited:
Back