Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Reload this Page Last Movie You Watched?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Old 2 Weeks Ago (01:06 PM).
i am the cosmos

Rushmore. was the last film I watched. let's talk a little bit about this Psyducking film.

people tend to look at Wes Anderson's films and, depending on who they are, either chomp at the bit to see them or vomit a little. naturally, me being me, I'm the former. the things people remember his films for are their twee aesthetic and general quirkiness. that's it. what people tend to overlook is how fully-formed the characters are, how entertaining the narratives are, how psyducking gorgeous the cinematography is, etc. people think that the twee-ness overshadows all of these things. in this case, people couldn't be more wrong. you know?

now, let's get to this film in particular. this was before Wes had really made a name for himself, as it were, having had only one film to his name prior to this -- the low budget, weird comedy / heist film Bottle Rocket. in the grand scheme of things, an inconsequential film. I guess. reportedly he then wrote this muk up (Rushmore, that is) and sent the script to Bill Murray, who liked it so much he said he'd do it for free. I don't think he actually did end up doing it for free, but I digress. in the lead we've got an 18 year old Jason Schwartzman probably giving the best performance of his career, if his track record / the other films of his I've seen are to be believed.

regardless, the story's kind of a now-typical Wes Anderson-type thing. the main character, Max Fischer, goes to a super preppy & ""prestigious"" high school that he's flunking out of. now, he's not stupid or anything. but he runs / is involved with some 20-25 extracurricular activities, so many that his academics are kind of. well. trash. they give him an ultimatum -- improve your grades or You're Psyducked Mate. he opts for the former. unsuccessfully. he's expelled soon because he starts the demolition of a baseball diamond in an attempt to build a giant aquarium for the school. this isn't before he falls in love with a 1st grade teacher and establishes a weird relationship with Bill Murray's character, Herman Blume, a disenfranchised middle-aged industrialist who hates his kids and doesn't much care for his wife.

regardless, muk happens from there. the reasons I love this movie as much as I do are Plentiful, but first & foremost, it's easy to relate this to experiences I've had at school, with my Peers, etc, even though I like to think I'm nowhere near as much of a douche as Max is. even though none of this muk has actually happened to me it's easy to see a 15 year old Max drunkenly tell the aforementioned 1st grade teacher, Miss Cross, that he's in love with her and be able to transplant myself into that same uncomfortable situation. or when he's walking out of the elevator in slow-motion while a Who song plays, sticks his gum on the wall & brings the crate of bees into Herman's room, it feels like it's straight out of a Tarantino film or something way cooler than Wes Anderson probably could ever coax out of his actors & stories. it just works. regardless of how relatable it is. regardless of how inherently ""likely"" it is, or anything like that.

the film is mostly a comedy up until about the halfway mark when things get a bit more solemn, I guess. Max starts smoking. Herman breaks up with his wife. neither of them have seen Miss Cross in months. Max drops out of school. etc. as winter falls, Max's life takes a turn as he finds himself devoid of anyone that he could call a friend and starts working at his father's barber shop full time. the song "I Am Waiting" by The Rolling Stones soundtracks a lot of this muk. it's beautiful. then he turns himself around and writes a huge, bombastic, over-the-top play and reestablishes himself as pretty much everything he was before, which may seem unlikely or contrived or a cheesy happy ending but it reduces me to a soggy mess, like, every other time I watch it, so there's some definite power in that. Wes Anderson squeezes profound emotion out of ridiculous, 15 year old situations. this is an achievement in and of itself.

this is not a compelling write-up but I've seen this film like 7 times and it just gets better and better for me with every rewatch. I hope you watch it and love it, unlike this Psyduck above me. challenge my ideas. challenge my words. tell me I'm wrong. tell me I'm stupid. don't read this. it's up to you. my favorite film of all time.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (01:19 AM).

Nature: Bashful
Last movie I watched was the recently released The Gift, and ooooooh wow, I absolutely loved it. Every passing second it just kept getting better and better, and this is my absolute favorite movie by Joel Edgerton and I just love his performance in this movie, as well as Jason Bateman and Rebecca Hall's performance. I really do not want to spoil anything about this movie, all I can say is that I love it.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (01:57 AM).
<insert witty eloquence here>

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by shenanigans:
Rushmore! Unfortunately I am much less enthusiastic about it than the "!" would suggest. Thoughts on why that is the case, copied and pasted from a Skype conversation:

"it was severely okay. i think my enjoyment of it was pretty hindered by the fact that i hated the main character, regardless of if i was actually meant to hate him or not. that and the impossibility of it all - which i know is a part of it, but it wasn't a part i could appreciate i guess. again though that sort of ties into how i hated this kid yet he kept getting his own way and being sucessful, minus the weird attempts on his teacher.

also a lot of things that should have been very relevant to the plot just... weren't. no consequences for cutting that guy's brakes on his car (as his dad bailing him out of jail took all of... maybe two minutes, with no later issues?), no (major) issues settling in at this new school of his, stuff like that.

in general i kinda felt like there were a lot of potentially alright things going on, but none of it was very satisfying because... i guess i just kept flipping between "i hate this kid" and "...why?" while i was watching. incidentally there were only two really satisfying moments for me and both of them involved max getting punched in the face."

2.5/5. maccrash, who loves this film, made me do this.
I agree with every single word of this. Sorry, Matty.

When I saw it last year for the first time, I wrote: "This is [Wes Anderson's] most 'normal', right? It certainly felt the most emotionally resonant until Olivia Williams kept talking to both of her crazy stalkers long after it was appropriate for her to file restraining orders." Still stand by that opinion, and have only soured on the film more in retrospect.

Last film I watched was Wild River, a melodrama from the '60s by Elia Kazan (director of A Streetcar Named Desire and On The Waterfront) about the sexy worlds of compulsory land purchase and southern American racism in the Great Depression! It's much more scintillating than it sounds, and absolutely gaaaaawjus to boot!
Old 2 Weeks Ago (07:07 AM).
i am the cosmos

Quote originally posted by Mr Cat Dog:
I agree with every single word of this. Sorry, Matty.

When I saw it last year for the first time, I wrote: "This is [Wes Anderson's] most 'normal', right? It certainly felt the most emotionally resonant until Olivia Williams kept talking to both of her crazy stalkers long after it was appropriate for her to file restraining orders." Still stand by that opinion, and have only soured on the film more in retrospect.
I didn't Love it the first time I saw it as much as I do now, but it only took 1 or 2 more viewings for me to fall head-over-heels for it. Wes's films have never really existed in a world full of Completely 100% Likely Scenarios so those little plot-hole-esque things don't really have an impact on me. there's so much more to Absorb. The Royal Tenenbaums is his most emotionally resonant regardless, imo.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (09:08 PM).
Crystal Tier

wes anderson is muke lol
quirkiness does not a good film make

i just finished watching girl, interrupted and while i'll stand true to my intense dislike of winona ryder until the end of time, i liked her more this time around because she makes angelina jolie stand out that much more
idk if ms jolie would have won the best supporting actress oscar in any other year (i don't think she would have), but her only realistic competition from the 1999 circuit was toni collette and jolie simply had the more engaging performance
And when you're dead I will be still alive!
Still alive! Still alive.
- GLaDOS (Portal, 2007)
Old 2 Weeks Ago (01:00 PM).

Nature: Gentle
Pitch Perfect
Old 2 Weeks Ago (04:57 PM).
The Blade's Shadow
Crystal Tier

Nature: Rash
Straight Outta Compton
Watched it last night on opening night.
Worth the $4 for the ticket, $10 for popcorn, $7 for a drink, and the 2 1/2 hours it took to watch.
One of the best movies I've ever seen. It really did E justice and showed the side of him most people didn't know.
52/10.

"Eventually, my blades will find their way into your heart."
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
"
Even heroes have the right to bleed"

Old 2 Weeks Ago (12:02 PM).
Super Moderator, CS

Nature: Quirky
The Rescuers Down Under

Not entirely by choice, but someone else put on this movie while I was out at another house yesterday, and I watched it because well, there wasn't much else to do at the time. Considering they'd played Robin Hood (the Disney version) just before then, I'm guessing someone was on a small Disney kick yesterday.

(Plus I watched it because I actually don't mind that movie.)
Old 1 Week Ago (11:40 AM).
Silver Tier

The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Based on a 60s spy TV show I didn't know existed until a short while ago, the movie is a lot like James Bond movies used to be before they got all dark and serious. It was a lot of action and fun and 60s fashions. Instead of one spy, we got two, and their mutual hatred of each other was what made the movie a step above what it would have been if it had just been a simple spy movie. Would recommend to anyone who likes James Bond or spy movies or anything set in the 60s or Henry Cavill.
Old 1 Week Ago (03:28 PM).
Spectre Agent
Crystal Tier

Nature: Serious
I just back from seeing Inside Out. I found it to be ok.

OSO STRONG
Old 1 Week Ago (08:50 PM).
Will you notice?
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
Nightcrawler

Great movie and amazing directorial debut of Dan Gilroy. I'm expecting a lot from this man. I loved the plot of the movie and Jake Gyllenhaal's character was amazingly executed.
Old 1 Week Ago (02:04 AM).
Spectre Agent
Crystal Tier

Nature: Serious
Back on this past Thursday, I went and saw Ant-Man. As a Marvel superhero movie, I found it to be quite good.

OSO STRONG
Old 1 Week Ago (05:18 AM).

All Hallows Eve 2013. Could be a Youtube cult hit.
Old 1 Week Ago (06:14 AM).
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The Unauthorized Full House story that premiered on Lifetime last night...I would not suggest it to anyone.
Old 1 Week Ago (09:19 AM).
Mars Adept

Nature: Quirky
'Red Cliff', the international version is so much better.

Old 1 Week Ago (09:28 AM).
Agent of Chaos

Nature: Jolly
Attack On Titan : Live Action Part 1
REALLLY I mean really dissapointing sure the climax was ok but wth happened. What's with all these plot holes? The characters are too inconsistent tbh. Really hope this changes in the second part and try to lessen those retarded scenes like a soldier freaking lifting a titan like wtf man. -.-
Old 1 Week Ago (09:40 AM).
we're beautiful now ♪
Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Lucy

After watching it for a second time, it is probably one of my favourite movies of all time. The movie is so well put together and Scarlett Johansson plays the part perfectly.
Old 1 Week Ago (08:00 PM).
Will you notice?
Gold Tier

Man of Steel

I think this a movie that I'll enjoy the more I watch it. Watched it for the 2nd time and I had a better time watching it than the first.
Old 3 Days Ago (01:14 PM).

Wolf Children - amazing film
Old 3 Days Ago (02:51 PM).
Pokémon Trainer

I just sat down and re-watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

I love this film. One of the films I actually went out and bought on Blu-ray. Right up my street. The motion capture/acting (If that's what I can call it) was amazing. I loved the story and the way they set up the third film. Thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it to anyone (after they've gone back and seen the first one) so I'd give it 7.5/10
Old 2 Days Ago (09:47 AM).

wer. The best movie of 2013.
Old 1 Day Ago (01:16 PM).

Quote originally posted by Geltza:
I just sat down and re-watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

I love this film. One of the films I actually went out and bought on Blu-ray. Right up my street. The motion capture/acting (If that's what I can call it) was amazing. I loved the story and the way they set up the third film. Thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it to anyone (after they've gone back and seen the first one) so I'd give it 7.5/10
Ooh, I agree - Love these two films!! Brilliant stuff
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)