• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What came first: Arceus or Mew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
Years
I would say arceus came first because he created the pokemon world and mew came first as the first pokemon to be in the pokemon world after arceus, but mew is also an ancestor of all pokemon.

Houndoomed

Battle Master
Years
My take on things: Assuming mew has the DNA of all pokemon and Arceus is infact a pokemon, That would then mean a mew could have laid the first egg that Arceus hatched from. But in reality Arceus wasnt even thought of when Mew was released so I dont think Nintendo are too fussed with a Story change like that, sort of like when Soap opera's replace actors that play the same characters and continue on hoping no one will notice :-)

Zeus

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
I don't believe arceus actually exists; he was just a myth created by man before they had the technology and knowledge to find the origins of pokemon. :P

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
If I understand correctly, Mew is the ancestor of all pokemon, meaning that Mew is at the top of the hierarchical tree. However, it could also be said that Arceus is the one who created Mew, and the three creation trio.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
My take on things: Assuming mew has the DNA of all pokemon and Arceus is infact a pokemon, That would then mean a mew could have laid the first egg that Arceus hatched from.
I stopped reading right here. This would be an invalid situation, based from mythology. Arceus' egg came from chaos and nothingness, so unless you have another meaning of nothing, Arceus came first.

Mew. Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon, yes. But have you considered that Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon in Earth after it was created by Kyogre and Groudon (which then Regigigas moved the continents bla bla bla)? Think of them as the dinosaurs, or the Flinstones. If you think about it this way, it all makes sense.

Houndoomed

Battle Master
Years
I stopped reading right here. This would be an invalid situation, based from mythology. Arceus' egg came from chaos and nothingness, so unless you have another meaning of nothing, Arceus came first.

Mew. Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon, yes. But have you considered that Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon in Earth after it was created by Kyogre and Groudon (which then Regigigas moved the continents bla bla bla)? Think of them as the dinosaurs, or the Flinstones. If you think about it this way, it all makes sense.

You should have kept reading. The original post contained the correct explanation of who came first. XP

Zeus

Last edited:
Years
My first thought to this is a real buzz kill but it's an honest thought.
Spoiler:

Anyways, as for an answer that goes with being a fan of Pokemon, I agree that it was probably Arceus who created Mew and Mew being the guy taking care of buisness on Earth.

My question is, if Arceus is the creator of the universe, did it create humans to??? OoOoOoOo mind is blown!

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
Years
I still say there could be something greater than Arceaus.

Maybe they'll come up with Super Mega Death Arceus, that'd be kind of cool

Also, +1 internet for you if you get the reference ;)

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2014
I think that Arceus created Mew which then went on to create all the Pokemon. However, legendaries all came from Arceus (or split off other legendaries e.g. Lake Trio) and the rest came from them and Mew.

Kanto and Sinnoh tribes are far away from each other, which explains why they think Mew and Arceus are the first, but after they realize the existence of each other, then they both realize Arceus came first. After all, Gen I is set 3 years before Gen IV, iirc.

Mentalii

Back
Years
Complicated and interesting question...
I believe Arceus came first, and created Mew, the ultimate being.
This being is a "baby" that can't grow-up (maybe a kind of foetus), because it is the ancestor of every Pokémon. At the beginning, it was even ALL the Pokémon.
Each part of it's DNA will allow Arceus to create a new Pokémon that will become an adult with its own DNA that will differentiate it from every other Pokémons.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Or, we can just split the two stories altogether and say that Pokemon myth is just Pokemon myth and that legendary Pokemon are just really, really rare and powerful.

Ash's Infernape

Pokémon Protector
Years
As most of em' said, Arceus crated the universe. Then he created Dialga, Palkia and Giratina. Then he created the lake trio, and then he created Mew to create pokemon on earth, with the DNA of all of the pokemon he just created and His own. That is the main theory described in Sinnoh legends.

Years
Mew, he's in the original 151, silly. :P
But seriously, I think that they both came into being at the same time, but then later on they split into two different beings. (Shrugs)

Renegade1

#1 Noob!
Years
Arceus made the pokemon and all that stuff, thus he's not the ancestor, he's the creator. Mew would have been theorized as the first pokemon on the planet and populated the world with it's kin, all of which would have over time evolved into the various species we see today. This makes Mew the Ancestor.

A religious way to put it is this... Is god the ancestor of all people? Wouldn't that be Adam/Eve?

I agree with you. There's a big difference from being the creator and the ancestor

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Agree with MantisboyN. Arceus is considered God in Pokémon world, aka the creator (that means he also created Mew, which would be the ancestor yeah). I think that's a pretty solid theory. Though I have to say that I'm still getting a little used to the fact that a gen 4 Pokémon would be the creator, in that sense I'm pretty bias for gen 1 haha, I'm a gen 1 freak >.>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back