• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HM Slaves

Years
Sometimes people use Pokemon with multiple HMs to navigate through the Pokemon world easier at a "cost" of one team slot, and are usually referred to by the term "HM Slave." Do you use HM Slaves? What do you think about it?

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
I used to.

But they should just abolish HMs already, and allow 'mons to use their natural abilities without taking up a moveslot.

As I've said before in a similar thread- a Wailord should still be able to swim even though it doesn't have Surf in its movepool.

"Wailord doesn't know SURF!"

"Wailord drowned like a ♥♥♥♥ing moron!"

Last edited:

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I always use HM Slaves, I would probably go crazy without them. Bibarel is my favorite due to being able to learn Strength, Waterfall, Surf and Cut. It also has decent stats to run a physical set and gains STAB on all mentioned moves. With STAB Strength and Waterfall (both 80BP) and a Physical Nature/EV spread it isn't wasted party space. Luckily both Gen 5 and 6 gave us a Pokémon to Fly with the Ability Flame Body as well so I use those in my play through. Those are obviously useful for breeding later.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I used to. Recently, though, I stopped and started spreading HMs to my Pokémon evenly. For some reason, having an HM slave on your team seems like a waste of space. xD;;

Trainer VyNk

Cursed Hemophillic.
Years
Sometimes people use Pokemon with multiple HMs to navigate through the Pokemon world easier at a "cost" of one team slot, and are usually referred to by the term "HM Slave." Do you use HM Slaves? What do you think about it?

No I don't & won't make a HM Slave, I just give HMs to their respective 'mons like flash to Pikachu & Rock smash to Geodude.. it helps a lot and doesn't waste a PokeSlot.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
I always have at least one HM Slave. I don't want moves like Cut and Strength on my guys when there are better options available. The HM Slaves don't really bother me as I always box them, and withdraw them when I need them. However, I still think HM's are moves that are unnecessary and can easily be replaced by items.

Bibaral and Tropius for ultimate HM Slaves though.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I always have one. It's more convenient for me. With the exception of Surf and Waterfall, I never find HM moves useful in battle. Putting them on my battle Pokes feels like a waste so I just put them all into one Pokemon. That way when I'm done adventuring or retrieving an item or whatever it is I need the HM move for I can just put it back into the PC.

Except Fly. I use Fly often enough that it's easier to put it on one of my main Pokes.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I always have HM Slaves, but they're not 'salves' per se. Since I consider Pokemon to be like my pets I treat them equally with love and care as my other Pokemon. Such as feeding them Poke puffs, giving them massages and playing with them with the Pokemon-Ami.

My almighty slave you may ask? Why none other than Mew :)

If I'm doing a challenge run, I just take the best Pokemon suited for the job such as Sentret, Goldeen, Tentacool etc.

Schizii

Always tired.
Years
Yeah, usually. Like a poster above mentioned, Bibarel is also one of my favourite slaves. xD;
Along with Linoone. Boy do I love my Linoone. Especially if it has the ability pickup, then I get free items! c:

Years
I usually do since there are some HMs I'd rather not teach to my main team, like cut. I don't really intend for Pokemon to become HM slaves but if one can learn a bulk or all of the HMs I don't use in battle then I just go for it to maximize party space.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
I never understood people who treat HM moves like they're the plague. With the exception of Cut and Rock Smash (which are never necessary past the game's midway point) and Flash and Defog (which are never absolutely necessary at all), none of the HM moves are bad at all. Yeah, Fly and Strength are outclassed by Brave Bird and Return in competitive play, but they're perfectly viable for in-game purposes.

So yeah, I just slap HM attacks on my main battling team and keep on truckin'. I'll just delete Cut and Rock Smash with the move deleter later in the game anyways. XD

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
I used to have HM Slaves because even though I'm not a competitive player, I do like to have decent attacks for my Pokemon; but I got sick of having to go back and forth to my PC. I just went "screw it" and put the the attacks on my pokemon while making sure their other 3 attacks are more than enough to get through the game.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
I never understood people who treat HM moves like they're the plague. With the exception of Cut and Rock Smash (which are never necessary past the game's midway point) and Flash and Defog (which are never absolutely necessary at all), none of the HM moves are bad at all. Yeah, Fly and Strength are outclassed by Brave Bird and Return in competitive play, but they're perfectly viable for in-game purposes.

So yeah, I just slap HM attacks on my main battling team and keep on truckin'. I'll just delete Cut and Rock Smash with the move deleter later in the game anyways. XD

Besides Surf (the only actual good one), Fly, and Dive- pretty much all the HM moves are pretty mediocre.

Flash would be okay if it lowered accuracy two stages. Cut and Strength would be better had they additional effects.

And I think the really frustrating part is their being unforgettable until you get to a Move Deleter.

Years
  • Age 37
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 23, 2020
I have done in previous gen's but in the past two haven't really felt the need to. You can get most of the storyline done as long as you have fly and surf and they are fairly useful moves anyway.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I use HM Slaved in almost every game, the extent to which depends on my team. Cut, Rock Smash and Flash are always on slaves, the other HMs might be on my team if fitting

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I've used HM slaves before, but now I don't cause it takes up a slot. Just teach team members HMs. I do , however, teach certain Pokemon (like Bibaral and Bunnelby ) the HMs and take them out when needed.

Last edited:

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
No I don't - I hate the term "slave" I call them "HM Companions" I only use the HMs Surf and Cut, and I teach them to a Pokemon that will use them.

Back