• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In depth Advance Map tutorial

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 11, 2017
Hello. I'm relatively new to Advance Map but I've picked it up pretty quick and already edited some areas. I decided to try creating a new set of routes, one of which was a wooded area, and the other of which was a cave. The cave lets out at Lavaridge and Fallarbor towns, as well as two exits at the forest area. All the warps are working, but the wooded area doesn't load properly. It instead loads my character on a black screen with blue vertical lines, and I am unable to move (however, Pokemon encounters do work, even if the exit isn't next to a grass tile.) Any suggestions?

RB11

Creator of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Advance
Years
Hi, I know this is probably a noob question, but I'm having problems with warps. I put one on the custom staircase styles I inserted, with all the correct numbers, but it won't do anything when I step on it, even when I set the behaviour byte to 61 00. Is it possible to have a staircase warp on custom tiles? I'd be very thankful if someone would help me. (I havent found anything on google)

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 25, 2023
Could someone help me? Whenever I change the number of events and click change events this confusing thing pops up. Does anyone know what to do when this appears?

Scarlet D.

The Eternal
Years
Yo! I got a problem here too. I've tried many things but i can't delete maps.I can't press the buttom "Map Bank Header"

If you could help me, that would be great

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 31, 2015
I'm new to this!

For some reason, my Advance Map doesn't allow me to click on the "Map Bank Header" when I try to delete a map. How can I delete maps, then?

Also, I wanted to insert a map. But when I tried, it shows only options for "bank" and "map no." So how do I add maps?

ShadowWolf24

Shadow Wolf
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 8, 2016
when i load this map it gives an error notification and in the wild pokemon slot it will just be the same pokemon from the previous map. is there anyway to fix this?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022
Hey, does anyone know how to choose specific Unown forms in the wild?

In FireRed, I replaced some of the Unown slots in Tanibo Ruins with Sigilyph, but I didn't realize that each slot was its own form. Oops. Now there are Unown forms that I can't get back! Is there any way to fix my mistake?

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
So, I guess this is the right thread, but I am trying to start my own game, and have begun advance mapping.

I have a decent grasp on things, but I need help with one thing.

I am currently re working pallet town, ad the border to the town is all messed up. The trees that is. You can't edit them as they fall out of the map range.

So how can I fix this? Thanks for any help in advance.

im_mega

Some guy on the internet.
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
So, I guess this is the right thread, but I am trying to start my own game, and have begun advance mapping.

I have a decent grasp on things, but I need help with one thing.

I am currently re working pallet town, ad the border to the town is all messed up. The trees that is. You can't edit them as they fall out of the map range.

So how can I fix this? Thanks for any help in advance.

You see the "Border Block" thing on the right of the map editor, above the tileset selection? Edit that, and it changes what is rendered outside of the editable map. It can only be a 2x2 block, but it repeats.

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
You see the "Border Block" thing on the right of the map editor, above the tileset selection? Edit that, and it changes what is rendered outside of the editable map. It can only be a 2x2 block, but it repeats.

I did that, but it messed up. Here's an image of what I want to fix:
https://imgur.com/a/9aEft

I need to fix so the trees don't get messed up on the outside like that. How can I fix this?

im_mega

Some guy on the internet.
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I did that, but it messed up. Here's an image of what I want to fix:
https://imgur.com/a/9aEft

I need to fix so the trees don't get messed up on the outside like that. How can I fix this?

Ah, I see. That means there is a map above the one you are working on, so either add the base on this map or remove the trees. Otherwise, you can remove the map from the map connections.

Reactions: Z25

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
Ah, I see. That means there is a map above the one you are working on, so either add the base on this map or remove the trees. Otherwise, you can remove the map from the map connections.

I see, thanks! I'll try that, I also found another method that can help me with these to. So I should be able to fix it now!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 19, 2017
Thanks for sharing. I am kind of new to this game so many hindrance during playing.
Now i can play more easily. cheers ^_^:)

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 4, 2017
So, i'm new here, and I've hit a bit of a snag editing FR in 1.95. I set my warps on my new starting town map, and ported it in over the original pallet town map, and that was it. I didn't change anything on the warps on the inside of the player's house, since the bank and map numbers were the same either way, and every time I try to leave, the screen goes black and doesn't come back. SO, i tried changing the starting map, by replacing the bedroom with the new town, and i got stuck in a house (because of the tile positioning) and it started spouting gibberish at me. So, I re-imported the bedroom map, then I tried porting it in as a new map, changed the warps inside the house to fit, and.... Still black. So, I changed them back to the pallet town map and tested again. Worked fine. So, I changed only the middle of the three warp tiles in front of the house exit, and it worked.... Except then started spouting off gibberish dialogue, again, and I couldn't go anywhere. So, I tried removing all the signposts and scripts, so there would be no source of dialogue, and tried leaving again, and it went black...

I think there might be something wrong with my map.

EDIT: Okay, it seems that if I step directly on the center warp, or if the all the warps go to the new map, then the screen goes black, if I touch one of the warps meant for the original pallet town map before walking out, it sends me to the right map, but spits gibberish at me
This seems like very strange behavior. does anyone know why that's happening? Might help crack what's screwing up the warp, but this seems to happen any time I actually access the map, same gibberish as the earlier times

EDIT: Here's a picture of what happens if I successfully make it to the proper map, maybe that can clear up what's happening?
x3U8ZXK.png

That dialogue box pops up, and as soon as I make it go away, it pops back up. There should be no sources of dialogue on the map, at all, no signposts, no scripts.

Also, why are the border tiles doing that? Am I only able to have one type of terrain on the edge of a specific map?

Last edited:

CapnCrunch

Captain
Years
Question:

Occasionally when I edit the spawns (Level and pokemon), it wont save them. I will hit the save button or do Ctrl S several times before switching maps with warps or connections but it will ask "Do you want to save Wild Pokemon Data?" Even if I say Yes, when i go back to that map, the spawns were not saved. How can I avoid this?

Back