• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriting Tutorials - Pokemon and Trainer

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Shawn, your Pokemon sprites are pretty good, but you should consider modifying the shape and color of the ridges on the head... they look unchanged from the base. Also, they're not aligned with the head; they seem to start above the right eye. As for your trainer sprites, you should try to modify them so that they'll look less like the sprites you based them on.

ProdigyX, I just draw lines from the foot circles to the pelvis circle, then adjust them to match the shape of the pants or legs I have in mind.

Diho

Beginning Game Creator
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2011
My first try ever:
Captain Ramón:
View attachment 56564

It's clearly visible I used the body of that sailor gymleader, but I think it's not that bad for a first try.
And yes, I never could and would have done this without your tut, thanks!

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I tried ur trainer tut (Scratch)
I i got
Adminwuss-1.png

Taadaa~<3 I'm quite proud

Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
This tutorial is actually really helpful for my game.
i made a sprite but don't think it's that good.
i'm proud as it is my first.

Attachments

• 497.PNG
    497.PNG
    4.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 497b.PNG
    497b.PNG
    3.6 KB · Views: 6

Cobalt'Scizor

Wannabe Spriter/ROM Hacker
Years
How's this for a transparentizing tut on GIMP?

Spoiler:

Made it in one try.

qaz015393

pokemon revenge developer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
nice tuts it really helped me out. but i cant seem to make a good face for my scratched trainer. any tips for it.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Cobalt'Scizor, don't most programs have a one-click "replace selected color with transparent opacity" tool?

qaz, I don't really have any advice... Just experiment, and make sure that the facial features are properly oriented with the head.

Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2011
WoW nice tutorials so well organised it is realy a great help.
I mean, I'm still a rookie spriter but I managed to create the trainer in my avatar myself.

Oh and I wantet to ask for the Overworld objekts since thats something I realy need help with. ^^

MasterSceptile

Pokémon Master/Glitch Hunter
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 9, 2019
I re-did my trainer sprite from earlier, because it felt a little (lot) flat to me. Also, it's more from scratch than then the last one was. So, here's take 2:

andrewtrainerspritetran.gif

Original for comparison:

andrewtrainersprite.png

MasterSceptile

EDIT:
I also made an (obvious recolor of Red's OW sprite) OW for this trainer sprite, which I will use until I can figure out HOW to make my guy's OW NOT look like Red's:
owfront.png

EDIT2: Moved the arm closer to the body (it looked weird). Current version is in my avatar. BTW, do you have any plans on teaching how to do those VS. (eyecatch) sprites?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2013
I'm tryna up my spriting skills from just combining sprites or changing colors. I tried scratching a pokemon and this is what i got. Just want opinions so far so i know what to work on

Attachments

• Demo.png
    Demo.png
    813 bytes · Views: 197

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Spriting and pixel art in Pokemon Games is extra easy now that the Nameless Sprite Editor came out... though it would be nice to get some pointers on making 'Level Transition Images' Those special images in FR/LG that you see giving a hint on the next area you're going into, like when you enter Pokemon Tower, or Viridian Forest...

I can make pixel art showing a landscape, I'm just not good at nintendo style...

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
What you're talking about is known in the film industry as an "establishing shot". Think of how on tv they'll show a brief shot of the outside of a building to establish where the setting is, before cutting to the characters. That's actually one of the tutorials I'm "working on right now". It's about half done, and has been for nearly year, but my time's been occupied by other things. I really need to get these things finished...

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2014
I love your tutorials, because I have the problem that I can never scratch something large, but with your tutorials I can easily makes large bases, and sprite the smaller thing myself.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2010
wow this so cool thanks!!! 8D
I've already scratched a couple sprites and I would show you them only if I could get there urls (stupid webs won't let me log in to upload anything)

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
You can actually upload them right to this thread, or use an image hosting service like Imageshack or TinyPic, neither of which require a login.

Back