• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Swear words.

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
Years
Swear words are negative only in certain contexts, for instance if I was to use a swear word in this it wouldn't be being used in a negative way it would just be an example. I swear fairly often, I don't particularly like the words and try not too but it happens. There is however a certain swear word beginning with a c which I abhor and I disgust people who think using it is acceptable and use it on a regular basis, it's an absolutely repulsive word and thankfully I've not yet been brought to saying it.

But overall I'm not too fussed on swear words!

PlatinumDawnFtw

Vocaloid fan~
Years
I don't really mind them honestly. I used to say them all the time but I have been cutting down recently, gotta look classy for the ladies ;)

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Oh, look, my first post in decades!

Swear words? They're okay lol. I don't think they're offensive; I actually think they're just words people say when they run out of things to mock you with. I think it's pretty cute listening to people swear.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
It's all about context. Using swear words in a casual conversation between friends that feel the same way as you do about them isn't going to be the be-all-and-end-all of everything. Using swear words in a job interview, however, isn't the best idea. Words - all words, really - only have as much power and effect as the people ascribe to them, and that's mostly situational.

So... to answer the question, I swear a fair bit in the right circumstances, and know when to hold my tongue in others. :P

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I don't normally swear, but when I do, I am very angry. I also don't mind anyone swearing really, after all, my household is full of one kind of Chinese dialect that loves to include the word F-you in their dialect.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't care about swearing. I swear all the time, especially when I'm really angry. I do think there are times to use them and times to not use them though, so we should be mindful of that. The only word I can't tolerate isn't even a swear word though, so lol.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I swear quite a lot in real life but not because I want to or like to, it's just habit haha. I think being around so many people at uni/college for so long has changed my vocabulary a lot :p I swear much less online though since you can easily go back through what you've typed and edit out anything that you're not happy with so there's a lot more control, but if I'm angry about something then expect a lot of swearing.

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I'm more or less indifferent to swearing. I don't really care if someone uses it, but I try to limit how much I swear, because I know there's always this one person who's really sensitive to swearing.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I swear all the time. I don't do it around adults and I've never used a swear word in this site but when I'm playing my vidoegames or I'm with friends I swear like a sailor.

It's definitely something I'd like to cut down.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
How do you feel about swear words?

My opinion of them are lolderp. I think they're just words and if people continue to give them such a stigma, they'll continue to be consider offensive. I hope in my lifetime, curse words become something of the past and are woven into society and seen as acceptable, because to me they're just the same as any other word in the English dictionary and don't see the big deal some people have when they're used in conversation.

What about you?

I like your way of thinking about it, but until society gains a brain that actually works, I'll try to cut down on my swearing xD

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I tend to swear quite a lot. I don't mind if it's regularly used, but not by kids under the age of 13. Sounds horrible, and I hear it a lot outside after school.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
When I'm with people I'm comfortable with I swear a lot, as in: "Why the **** am I even friends with you?" which could be taken a lot of ways, but is sometimes always meant to be joking. Words only have what power you let them have, the fact that swear words are culturally specific means they are in no way objectively bad.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
Years
People like to bleep them on TV and ignore violence that is probably much worse. That's America for you! As for me, I don't really care. They are only words right? I tend to swear all the time in real life but I do make an effort to "clean up" in places where everyone expects me not to curse like if there's a young kid in the room or if I'm posting on PC.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
I don't care about swearing. I swear all the time, especially when I'm really angry. I do think there are times to use them and times to not use them though, so we should be mindful of that. The only word I can't tolerate isn't even a swear word though, so lol.

Very much the same here (even down to having only one (non-swear) word I can't tolerate!). I can have quite colourful language in conversation, though it is very much a thing shared in my area. I use "****ed" as a verb quite a lot (not in a ~mature~ way, as in "I'm so ****ed for this test!"), as well as various swears as an expression of shock / horror. However, I think there is absolutely a level where swear words are too common. My brother, for example, throws in "****ing" at least three times in every single sentence and it is so tiring. It's all so "haha look how macho and unclassy I can be!".

Back