• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

FireRed hack: Fire Red: BACKWARDS Edition

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Have you ever thought "You know, man... if you like, went south of Pallet at the beginning of the game, you would TOTALLY be able to go through Kanto backwards"? Yeah, didn't think so. But a while ago, I did, and I decided to make it a reality.

Fire Red: Backwards Edition (also going by the title Der Erif when I try to seem slightly more creative), is a a hack of Fire Red in which the maps and scripts are messed with in a way that makes the player go through the gyms in the following order:

Cinnabar > Fuchsia > Saffron > Celadon > Vermillion > Cerulean > Pewter > Viridian.

Additionally, there are other changes:
  • Many Pokemon have been buffed. In particular, plenty of bugs are stronger.
  • Some gym leader TMs have been changed so you don't get overpowered moves early.
  • Some typings have been changed. Not many, though.
  • Surf has been given a lower base power.
  • Cut has been given a higher base power and made steel type.
  • Naturally, every trainer has been changed.
  • Wild Pokemon have beenc changed as well. This hack has nearly every Pokemon between Gens I and III, with the exception of legendaries and a few others.
  • "Teleport" is now a psychic type explosion.
  • Pokemon appear in puddles, like Gen V.
  • There is a postgame, so be sure to make your file saves without savestates.

As the hack has been released on some other forums, I already know a few bugs:
  • The move "Strength" has broken. It is now 100 pp with no typing. It uses the user's special attack stat.
  • In Pallet, the rival doesn't grab the Pokemon he ends up using, if you pay enough attention.
  • The move "Rock Tomb" causes the game to crash. No Pokemon can learn it, but one trainer's Pokemon has metronome and may use it.
  • The map doesn't correspond to the routes aesthetically. This isn't so much a bug as an "I'll fix it later".

"But Slike!" you say. "Nobody could possiblly be manly enough to go through with this hack! We demand proof!" you say. This is why, in addition to the nice, happy download I have attached to this post, I have a collection of screenshots:

Spoiler:

Additionally, this hack was made with the following tools:
XSE
A-Map
A-Trainer
YAPE
A-Text
A-Tack
A-Mart
TM Editor Pro
Advance Pokemon Sprite Editor

Additionally, I got early scripting help from Liggy, a person I know on another forum.

Edit: Let's add a few new sections here to clear some things up. First, have a "Known bugs" Section.
Spoiler:

At a certain point in the postgame, you can go to two and three island. I didn't change them, so if you explore, anything could happen. Also, if the PCs stop working, fly to Vermillion and go to three isle port to fix it.[/spoiler]

And since people like to ask me questions, here's a guide to some of the harder things in this hack that seem to keep messing people up:
Spoiler:

That should do it.

Attachments

• Pokemon - Fire Red.ips
    184.2 KB · Views: 11,151
Last edited:

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 11, 2020
I, for one, have never really cared about going around the region backwards.

But this looks good. Might play it soemtime. (:

kebbles

Rom Hacker.
Years
This is quite a good idea but i beleive alot more could be done.
If this is complete it seems kinda rushed, i cant really see much difference besides going backwards lol.
And personally id like to see more new features, maybe some new tiles or cool scripts?
Good luck and ill have a play of this in a few days maybe :)

XXVIII

Romhacker Wannabe
Years
This one is unique, I never thought this one before. Additional features will make it more fun to play, maybe in the future. By the way is this hack complete already?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Wow, this is pretty interesting o.O
I've also never thought of this possibility o.O
I will surely try this since it really caught my attention and the maps seem to be really well done.

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2015
Hey! Is the game finished? I got to Fushcia and beat the gym leader. But i can't find the bike to go to the next part?

monkeyboi

Pokemon hack/game player
Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2013
The fushcia city badge lets you use surf and i think you know where to get surf.

blazerj13

Impossibly Possible~
Years
are there any second and third gen legendaries in this hack? and those maps look *****in awesome by the way. maybe you can map out new areas for those legends and script out side quests. that would perfect this hack.

Epitaph93

Intermediate Digidestined
Years
This looks pretty awesome for such a simple concept. I love what you've done with the routes, especially the swamp and rain forest. I haven't played it yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for such a cool take on the concept!

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Oh boy, comments! Thanks everyone.

Depending on what you mean by "complete", this may or may not be complete. There IS a definite endgame to this hack (and a postgame), but there are still things I want to do with it. For example, I intend to make new side areas and such, which will probably include gen 2 and 3 legendaries. If you're simply looking to complete the game, you can try it right now.

Also, let me just say this right here: You don't need strength for the ice puzzle in Seafoam. Too many people have just left after seeing a boulder there for me to let it happen .

blazerj13

Impossibly Possible~
Years
why not take and use 4,5,6,and 7 island and remap them to suit the legends they hold? like put Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza in four island, and remap the cave and then call that cave of origin, make a Wish cave, Then you could extend the water lybrinth and put southern island there to put latios and latias, you could put the legendary dogs in the caverns, ho-oh, lugia, and deoxys alredy have events so you dont have to use them along with mew, celebi, you could put an extention of bug forest, you could use a island and just put a regi cave there and name it millenia cave, and lastly, you can make a place for me in cerulean cave and have the people fight me for giving me all these wonderful ideas! jk about that part but still, im just trying to help.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Your ideas are appreciated, but that's probably about what I would do in the first place! I tend to recycle areas a lot when I don't use them. Granted, I'll probably just put new areas around the region when I place legendaries everywhere, rather than making a massive hub using the sevii islands. That way, you have to search!

Also, learning how to script isn't that hard. Unless you're completely doing the game (which admittedly is what most people on this forum seem to do), you won't have to make many scripts. I still wouldn't call myself good at scripting, but after whatever my next project is, I'll probably fix that.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2017
Then learn how to do it! It's really not too hard. ^_^

EDIT: Ninjas. Ninjas everywhere. ._.

Back