• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Shiny hunting via PokeRadar

Years
I am currently trying to find shines via this method but I feel like I won't have any luck. Can people share with me whether they have had luck with it or not?

Years
Funny that this thread appeared now, since I caught my first shiny Pokemon with this method today. :)

I am still practicing and am mainly doing so in the Pokemon village, since I am still leveling Pokemon and almost all of the wild Pokemon there are around level 50. Mostly, my chains are no longer than 10-20 Pokemon, but I feel like it's getting better with more practice.

The shiny I caught today however was the very first Pokemon of a new chain. :) It was a male shiny Gothorita lvl. 48, and my first shiny in this edition. :) (Before, I have caught one shiny Caterpie in FireRed).

I have read on the internet that when you get a shiny via chaining, the grass starts to sparkle where the shiny is hiding, and that there is a sound. However, with the shiny I caught today, I did not experience either - so I am still a little scared that next time a shiny appears, I will simply walk into the wrong grass since I don't notice it. ;)
Sometimes after a chain of about 5-10 Pokemon, I notice that the music changes (it gets way faster), until I have made one or two battles. Does somebody know whether that has something to do with my chain, or if this is simply normal for the music in the Pokemon village? I have never experienced this anywhere else.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've had a bit of luck with it before, but to actually encounter a shiny Pokémon, it had taken me a very, very long time, with countless amount of attempts. Though, I'm kind of inexperienced when it comes to shiny-chaining; those who have more knowledge--which I assume we will have the more we try our hands on this--likely have an easier time.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Dec 22, 2015
Pokeradar is the most annoying method in my opinion! Trying to master it on my streamstream with viewer help

Years
Yep, I've caught three shinies with this method. One Roselia (route 7), one Skiddo (route 6), and one Zoroark (Pokemon Village). It's extremely frustrating when the chain breaks, but it's sooo satisfying to see that shining patch of grass.
You've seen tutorials on how to do it, right? Although I have a suggestion most tutorials don't mention: Save before starting the chain, that way if you fail you'll still have all your super repels you used back. Also once your chain reaches 40, run around just outside of the grass to recharge the pokeradar, walk two steps into the grass, and use it. Repeat if there's no shiny patch. Don't use the pokeradar just one step into the grass, that always breaks my chain.

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
Years
Funny that this thread appeared now, since I caught my first shiny Pokemon with this method today. :)

I am still practicing and am mainly doing so in the Pokemon village, since I am still leveling Pokemon and almost all of the wild Pokemon there are around level 50. Mostly, my chains are no longer than 10-20 Pokemon, but I feel like it's getting better with more practice.

The shiny I caught today however was the very first Pokemon of a new chain. :) It was a male shiny Gothorita lvl. 48, and my first shiny in this edition. :) (Before, I have caught one shiny Caterpie in FireRed).

I have read on the internet that when you get a shiny via chaining, the grass starts to sparkle where the shiny is hiding, and that there is a sound. However, with the shiny I caught today, I did not experience either - so I am still a little scared that next time a shiny appears, I will simply walk into the wrong grass since I don't notice it. ;)
Sometimes after a chain of about 5-10 Pokemon, I notice that the music changes (it gets way faster), until I have made one or two battles. Does somebody know whether that has something to do with my chain, or if this is simply normal for the music in the Pokemon village? I have never experienced this anywhere else.

When the music speeds up, its a way to let you know that you are still chaining. So once the music goes back to normal then you have broken your chain.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I've tried the PokeRadar a few times. I can never seem to get a good chain going though, and I've never quite gotten the hang of it enough to chain up for a shiny. I'm trying it a bit more lately, and if I can get it down, then hopefully along with the shiny charm I can build up a respectable shiny collection :)

Years
When the music speeds up, its a way to let you know that you are still chaining. So once the music goes back to normal then you have broken your chain.

I'm not sure that's all true, or I might have misunderstood what you mean. If my memory serves there are two songs that can play when you chain, the standard pokéradar music and a faster one. When the faster music plays you have a much higher chance of finding a shiny so you should just keep on reseting you radar until you either find your shiny or the music goes back to the normal pokéradar tune. If you after a battle hear the music of the route you're on, that would mean you've broken your chain.

If I'm wrong here someone will have to correct me, haven't used the pokéradar quite as much in this generation as I did in the my Pearl version so I might be mistaking. I have however caught a shiny scokupi in the 6th gen :D

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
Years
No, you are correct. The music will speed up. There is two kinds. Normal radar, then a sped up version and yes when it speeds up, your odds Andre better

Years
Pokeradar method is the hardest but the most thrilling way to get new shiny pokemon I think ^ ^

When you are a beginner it's frustrating when you break you chain after 20 or 30 encounters but with effort and patience you will finaly found the shiny grass... This moment is so amazing.

Anyway good luck for your futur hunt :D

Back