• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Another Map (Freshly made)

Spoiler:

If anything needs to be changed, just tell and i'll change it right away!

That map is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to squared, and there is way too much grass.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I'll fix it the SQAURENESS

But i added the grasspatches to make it more difficult.

yes but at least 80% of that map is grass.
You could just raise the encounter levels rather than spamming the grass in an unnatural fashion.

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
That's a much better Route "Ppooookkkkkkk" though it looks good down in the bottom right you have a gap from some trees and the edge of the map either fill that up or make it another entrance/exit. Also with your trees most are fine but a bit less repetition would be good I mean you have a zigzag in the top left area, symmetry in the top-central area Along the middle you have trees which just interval between each other. Lastly to be honest there are a lot of jumpable areas I'm not sure if that was what you intended for but try to break them into smaller sections. Its not a bad map it just needs to be improved. Consider adding more "flare" have different levels, maybe a river and some bridges or maybe have a secret entrance to the route.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
5OJb6.jpg

@Ppoookkkkkkkkk

Here. It's your map.
What I mean by too square is look at the red line going through the map, i'd only have to turn three times, before i reach the other side.
As for the blue circle, is there any need to is there any need for me to go all the way there, for an extra patch of grass, or an item, when I've already reached the exit?

The red circles, show repeativity with the ''zigzags'', the zigzags do not look good, when I said square i meant the big square outline and shape of the map.

IStreamSandwich

[b][i]Returning to be your Shield[/i][/b]
Years
Spoiler:

^ Check the spoiler.

The red lines are the outlining of the trees. Thats a curvy route or whatever. Yours is too square. Even though you have tree's coming out of the border, its still uniformly square. Add curves ALL OVER the map :).

Arma

The Hyena
Years
@ppooookkkkkkk:
Right of now it's incredibly frustrating if you go south since there's a dead end and a load of grass. Listen to PokeInfuse, as it is now you only have to take 3 turns to get through the map. That's even less effort than on the first route in FR/LG!

Take a look at the map I posted earlier for some inspiration. Or even at the routes from the original games. Don't make your paths too wide, and don't create large patches of grass. grass doesn't make the route any more difficult, just more frustrating. Create a maze like structure to make the map more difficult and interesting. Make sure every accessible part of the map lead to has a purpose.

I've drawn you something you could use as an example:
testrj.png

the red path shows a curvy path the player could take, with a few branches that lead into dead ends where he/she can find items or whatever. the brown lines are ledges, with the pink lines showing the direction in which the player could jump. green patches are trees.

Hope this helps you!

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
aspjH.jpg

Random Ice cave map. Empty space mountain thing, is gonna have trainers and a cut scene on, hence why space is needed, puzzles work perfectly as shown in following spoiler.
Spoiler:

ppooookkkkkkk

Banned
Years
@ppooookkkkkkk:
Right of now it's incredibly frustrating if you go south since there's a dead end and a load of grass. Listen to PokeInfuse, as it is now you only have to take 3 turns to get through the map. That's even less effort than on the first route in FR/LG!

Take a look at the map I posted earlier for some inspiration. Or even at the routes from the original games. Don't make your paths too wide, and don't create large patches of grass. grass doesn't make the route any more difficult, just more frustrating. Create a maze like structure to make the map more difficult and interesting. Make sure every accessible part of the map lead to has a purpose.

I've drawn you something you could use as an example:
testrj.png

the red path shows a curvy path the player could take, with a few branches that lead into dead ends where he/she can find items or whatever. the brown lines are ledges, with the pink lines showing the direction in which the player could jump. green patches are trees.

Hope this helps you!
Ok thanks but I cant edit it now since i'm slept over my friends house today. So I don't have acces to my laptop.

P.s posted using my mobile.

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
Spoiler:

Just a quick one, here's the most recent route for my game "Legends of the Arena".

Didn't know how to display events on my map too, but at this point in the game it's raining and a storm is approaching. Those two ledges on the road near the top of the map are blocked by dancing Ludicolo, hence why you have to go around via the long grass. Also along that road are trainers, which is why it's somewhat sparse.

Oh, and that blue Pokéball structure in the centre of the map is a healing station to heal Pokémon.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
Following the critique of the old map I have removed many of the unnecessary pathways and added more tall grass and higher cliffs to Route 9:

Spoiler:

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Rayquaza, your map is still too empty... you'd get lost so easy. Look at all the tips Ppoookk got, avoid using large open spaces and huge patches of grass as well.

WackyTurtle, your map looks quite good, however, the paved area is really boring compared to the parts with the long grass. It looks like its half finished now.

Also guys, please post reviews when posting your map(s). =)

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
WackyTurtle, your map looks quite good, however, the paved area is really boring compared to the parts with the long grass. It looks like its half finished now.

Yeah it bugs me too, but in fairness it is littered with trainers and cyclists and the like, so it's not too boring to play. But thank you for the feedback.

Also guys, please post reviews when posting your map(s). =)

I thought that it wasn't mandatory to rate the map above you?

ppooookkkkkkk

Banned
Years
Following the critique of the old map I have removed many of the unnecessary pathways and added more tall grass and higher cliffs to Route 9:

Spoiler:

As elarmasecreta said your map feels very empty. Filling a little bit more will make it perfect
Also the platform between the water(I can guess it's there for an item)I should have some objects like flowers and rocks.

Heres the update of my map.
Spoiler:

It is more difficult than before.

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
It looks great now, except if you go from the Left gatehouse to the Upper Gatehouse, you can't, it's all completely blocked off, is this intended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back