• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

March Maaaadness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
Hope you don't mind me asking: What kind of seminary are you looking for? And are you currently in ministry?

Roman Catholic.
I plan to attend it, after an expedited PhD in Theology at the Boston Theological Union.

It is planned to be a 4 yr. course; so long as I retain an >95% GPA, my school GC has been working out the finer details for me.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
Ah neat, I'm Orthodox.

That's a great ambition, I wish you luck. I wish I had more to say regarding the issue.

Sir Codin

Theology would be particularly interesting, even though I'm not part of a religion (hate to break this to some people, but I'm pretty much atheist). Still, religion has shaped and influenced human cultures from time immemorial, so it would be interesting to study.

Gideon Jeremiah

Years
Ah neat, I'm Orthodox.

That's a great ambition, I wish you luck. I wish I had more to say regarding the issue.

Oh I love The Orthodox Church! :D
Such a fantastic concept that Theosis is. ^_^.

Thank you very much & I wish you luck in any/all of yours!
Say whatever you like, I love a good conversation!

Theology would be particularly interesting, even though I'm not part of a religion (hate to break this to some people, but I'm pretty much atheist). Still, religion has shaped and influenced human cultures from time immemorial, so it would be interesting to study.

I am mostly studying it for the aspect of "relations".
Knowing the collective religious beliefs of all mankind, would do wonders for being able to analyze & theorize.
Overall, the goal for myself is simply to help others in the most timely manner possible.
Even without all of that, Theology is interesting in its own right(s) :D .

Sir Codin

By the way, I didn't clarify, but before going atheist, I was raised methodist.

Gideon Jeremiah

Years
By the way, I didn't clarify, but before going atheist, I was raised methodist.

If I may ask (in a purely discussional way, with no negative overtones or attempts to incite an angered debate, whatsoever); what lead you to your current religious beliefs?

If not, I am sincerely sorry for intruding.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
@Gideon:

The Waning light Hangs
Everyone in Hell Fears
The Light Dawns Closer

-haiku from The Great Divorce by CS Lewis

Wanted to share that with you because I have no one else to share it with!

And why thank you, though there's not enough luck in the world to cover my many absurd ambitions. Thank goodness for the internet, I can educate myself.

Sir Codin

I had a REALLY convincing atheist friend in high school.

Not to mention everyone of different faiths all claiming theirs was the truth, including my methodists. It was so irritating.

And all the terrible things that happen in the world, not to mention that I now place more trust in the scientific method.

But overall, I still thought of myself as at least agnostic, but then I realized, if I find myself asking for hardcore, definitive evidence that there is a higher power, then I just simply don't belief in it. Atheism is the absence of believe in a higher power. Therefore, I must be atheist.

Last edited:

Gideon Jeremiah

Years
@Gideon:

The Waning light Hangs
Everyone in Hell Fears
The Light Dawns Closer

-haiku from The Great Divorce by CS Lewis

Wanted to share that with you because I have no one else to share it with!

And why thank you, though there's not enough luck in the world to cover my many absurd ambitions. Thank goodness for the internet, I can educate myself.

I love it! :D
Ambitions, any you'd care to share?
Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn.
You share one, I'll share one!

I had a REALLY convincing atheist friend in high school.

Not to mention everyone of different faiths all claiming theirs was the truth, including my own. It was so irritating.

And all the terrible things that happen in the world, not to mention that I now place more trust in the scientific method.

But overall, I still thought of myself as at least agnostic, but then I realized, if I find myself asking for hardcore, definitive evidence that there is a higher power, then I just simply don't believe in it. Atheism is the absence of believe in a higher power. Therefore, I must be atheist.

Lovely reasoning & I absolutely respect it.
Requiring solid evidence makes sense in every-way, & it's not something that a rational person should be able to disagree with.
While everyone may have a different mindset, they do not retain the right to claim their faith is the truth.
Their only right is to have informed dialogue with others & respectfully share their beliefs when relevant or asked.

In regards to your "scientific methods" comment;
Yes, with advancements in Modern Physics to the level of Planck Time, alongside numerous other experiments; science is certainly able to explain a # of things that religion cannot.

Have you heard of the NOMA principle?

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
@Gideon: Are you at all interested in Hinduism?

:) Well if I wasn't destined to be a teacher I'd be all over ethnobotany. I'd also like to own a farm of hippos, I'd like to teach English in Spain, I'd like to repair satellites orbiting the earth, I'd like to finish a painting. All very serious ambitions, we'll see where that goes.

Your turn!

Sir Codin

Let me look that up, but feel free to give me a summary if you want.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Not to mention everyone of different faiths all claiming theirs was the truth, including my own. It was so irritating.
This gets on my nerves, as well. I don't mean to "shove it down your throat", but the way I see it as, it's so that people will have to determine which religion (if any) they want to stay with. To prove their faith in it. If whatever religious leader person/thing/whatever just floated down from the sky and proved that they/it exist, what's the point? You have nothing to prove, then, because it's right in front of your face. That isn't faith; it's common sense. (;

Again, not trying to shove it down your throat. I've had that done to me, as well. Just sharing my theory.

droomph

weeb
Years
This gets on my nerves, as well. I don't mean to "shove it down your throat", but the way I see it as, it's so that people will have to determine which religion (if any) they want to stay with. To prove their faith in it. If whatever religious leader person/thing/whatever just floated down from the sky and proved that they/it exist, what's the point? You have nothing to prove, then, because it's right in front of your face. That isn't faith; it's common sense. (;

Again, not trying to shove it down your throat. I've had that done to me, as well. Just sharing my theory.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/blog.php?b=14831 what I feel about it. pretty much just whoever's right will be proven when the time's right, in the meantime let's get onto the fun and important stuff like POKÉMON

because even though god is great blah blah blah you still have tasks on earth to complete. Namely, beating the Elite 4.

Gideon Jeremiah

Years
@Gideon: Are you at all interested in Hinduism?

:) Well if I wasn't destined to be a teacher I'd be all over ethnobotany. I'd also like to own a farm of hippos, I'd like to teach English in Spain, I'd like to repair satellites orbiting the earth, I'd like to finish a painting. All very serious ambitions, we'll see where that goes.

Your turn!

Part of my adoptive family are founded in Hinduism (On grandpapas side).
I've read my Sanskrit copy of the Bhagavad Gita more time than I can count :laugh:
Why do you ask?

Hmm... all of those sound fantastic! :D
((If you do that Hippo thing... I want to pet the babies >_>.))

Now... to return the favor!

- I wish you ascend to the Papacy someday
- I wish to found my own city (or series of)
- I wish to gain as much knowledge as possible within this lifetime
- I wish to improve my painting skills, so I can almost capture life itself within the canvas
- I wish to solve the Riemann Hypothesis (tricky bugger has had me stuck for months now >_>.)

I have NOW. XD

Let me look that up, but feel free to give me a summary if you want.

Consider as this; a separation of Science & religion/philosophy.
They operate on separate grounds, meaning one is not hampered by the other.
The hopeful end goal would be for complete synchronicity of the two, which is our best answer to our questions :) .

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
because even though god is great blah blah blah you still have tasks on earth to complete. Namely, beating the Elite 4.
(Only quoted this part but I did skim that blog)

Pfft what a casual Pokemon reference in there o;

I'm going to shut up now, though, because I don't want to start a fight. (; Instead, I'll just procrastinate going upstairs to get the earphones so I can listen to music.

Sir Codin

I've always thought of religion and philosophy as being separate, though I don't really know why.

However, my dad believes that because of the law of conservation of energy, that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form or another, there might be some possibility of the existence of an afterlife or at least reincarnation. Sounds somewhat silly and there's no real hardcore evidence of it, but it sounds like a neat idea.

Gideon Jeremiah

Years
I've always thought of religion and philosophy as being separate, though I don't really know why.

However, my dad believes that because of the scientific principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form or another, there might be some possibility of the existence of an afterlife or at least reincarnation. Sounds somewhat silly and there's no real hardcore evidence of it, but it sounds like a neat idea.

The notion of separating religion & philosophy is a difficult one, because many people use religion for their personal philosophy. Even the word "philosophy" itself is hotly-debated.
Though we can easily agree on one thing, it is an interesting subject :) .

Well it is true that matter cannot ever be destroyed.
Consider a wooden chair or desk; looking at it, you would likely not say "well that's a highly compacted uniform grouping of sub-atomic particles buzzing at nearly indistinguishable speeds".

Yet it is, & if the desk is reduced to ash, those particles remain.

It is interesting to consider that the Law would apply to the Electro-Chemical currents in your brain, that make you, you.
Though this is irrelevant if you are an Essentialist, rather than Existentialist.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
I was going to actually suggest you read the Gita :p It holds such beautiful philosophies, intellectually challenging though :x I try to meditate on a verse every day. Behold we are not an earthly but a heavenly plant.

You are always welcome to pet my baby hippos!

And it seems like you have a very rich background. Intellectually rich. Getting into the papcy is a big one...but I have faith in you! Gosh, I can hardly comprehend the wikipedia page on the Riemann hypothesis *_* I'm strictly a linguist, things like that completely melt my brain

Gideon Jeremiah

Years
I was going to actually suggest you read the Gita :p It holds such beautiful philosophies, intellectually challenging though :x I try to meditate on a verse every day. Behold we are not an earthly but a heavenly plant.

You are always welcome to pet my baby hippos!

And it seems like you have a very rich background. Intellectually rich. Getting into the papcy is a big one...but I have faith in you! Gosh, I can hardly comprehend the wikipedia page on the Riemann hypothesis *_* I'm strictly a linguist, things like that completely melt my brain

I remember the first time I read it actually.
My grandpapa had a deal with me; if I read it through entirely in Sanskrit (Hindu along with German are my native tongues), & translated it into English "somewhat accurately", he would take me to visit our relatives every other weekend in Toronto.
It was absolutely worth it; I love the entire book.

Specifically Ch. 4 - verse 33;
The sacrifice of knowledge, O Parantapa, is greater than any material sacrifice. Knowledge is that in which all this action culminates (not any lower knowledge, but the highest self-knowledge & God-knowledge), O Partha!

Why thank you :D !
Mathematics are rather fantastic, but... I believe a career as a Linguist would be superior.
It's as comparing Noam Chomsky & Leslie Groves.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
These posts. Just...wow.
Somehow a forum of teenagers/adults that play a childrens video game have ended up in a deep religious discussion. :x

I don't really have anything to add to said discussion, though, our of wariness to potentially start a fight. o;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back